Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two phonelines + Two broadband connections...

Options
  • 28-07-2009 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Long story short:
    1. Running a business that involves a lot of uploading to a server everyday (Large mp4 and wmv files)
    2. We cannot upgrade our 3mb broadband connection because the line wont take it
    3. We are looking at ways to increase our upload speed or capability

I dont see any way to improve our current line so... Would the following work?:
    • Take out a second eircom phoneline - Aparantely there is no setup charge at the minute and only a six month minimum contract
    • Take out a second 3mb broadband connection with eircom

With the new line, we could obviously upload two files on seperate computers and connections and take advantage of an effective doubled upload speed.

However, is it possible to 'bridge' the two connections so that we would combine the capabilities of both lines on one computer?

So it would be 3mb download, 374k upload x 2

So effectively a 6mb download and 750k upload speed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It can be done, but you'll need a router that can do load balancing. No idea what's involved in setting this up. Some cheap routers can do load balancing, but as far as I know, that won't suit. You're looking at expensive kit, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Load balancing is easily done. but that would be two files at once. (The box in your link).

To send a single file twice as fast needs Modem or Connection "Bonding". That requires the ISP to support it. You can't do that at all just at the client end. Sorry. The box in your link can't do it.

You need to talk to BT, Digiweb, eircom, Magnet or Smart Business services and get a special connection to "bond" the phone lines.

You could also look at Fibre (Smart, Magnet, Digiweb or BT)

Or high speed Wireless (Digiweb).

ESAT in the pre BT DSL days could offer reversed ADSL (upload spectrum and download reversed, thus you get 3Mbps up and 256k down. You might get that or even SDSL (1Mbps both ways).

I get close 1Mbps upload on Wireless (Digiweb Metro) at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

Thanks Watty,

Cant get Fibre and cant get any form on wireless.

Looks like its not going to be easy - The chances of anyone at Eircom having the slightest clue what Im talking about is non - existant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you have a budget for a new pc, or even a spare existing one, you could try pfsense with a couple of extra NIC's in it to load balance your internet connections.

www.pfsense.org

it's a fork of m0n0wall that has inbound and outbound WAN load balancing as one of it's many fancy features.

it's not going to help with a single file transfer, but it should allow you to speed up multiple transfers.

i haven't actually used it myself so i don';t know this for definite, but it's got to at least be worth a look if you really want to be able to do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement