Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think people deserve a second chance?

• 28-07-2009 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

After reading that thread about the woman and her child it got me thinking.

Now what she did was indeed heinous, so that's one end of the scale but I'm sure somewhere there's someone that'd be willing to give her a second chance if she was truely remorseful.

This is quite an extreme example I know but it's what brought it to mind. So what say you, do people deserve a second chance if they genuinely see the error of their ways? Or is there a limit to the wrong someone can do before they are forgivable?

Should people be allowed a second chance? 95 votes

Yes, everyone deserves at least one
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, but to a certain point
    23% 22 votes
    No, people should stand by their actions
    66% 63 votes
    Zombie Jagaur
    10% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

only people in extreme cases should not be given a 2nd chance. By that I mean rapists, murderers etc.

Imo, that woman who ate her baby shouldn't be given a second chance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

My opininon in that womans case- No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

You want to give her seconds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

She was insane. That means that in a way she wasn't responsible for her actions.

I'd have more sympathy for her then for someone who murdered someone in cold blood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

In cases of insanity, yes. But there would have to be absolutely no doubt that whatever they did again would be repeated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Depends on the crime tbh. Kiddie fiddlers, no.

If you fall out with a mate, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Wazdakka wrote: »
    You want to give her seconds?

I'm just using her as an example, speaking more in generalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

Schism wrote: »
    After reading that thread about the woman and her child it got me thinking.

Now what she did was indeed heinous, so that's one end of the scale but I'm sure somewhere there's someone that'd be willing to give her a second chance if she was truely remorseful.

This is quite an extreme example I know but it's what brought it to mind. So what say you, do people deserve a second chance if they genuinely see the error of their ways? Or is there a limit to the wrong someone can do before they are forgivable?

that "person" deserves a very slow and horrible death...its ok for her to eat her babys ****ing brain cos shes ill?jesus christ ****ed up or not she deserves WORSE than death!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Torturers and mutilators no. Everyone else, possibly deopending on the circumstances of the crime.

What this woman did was dispicable. If it was a man not one person would say he deserves a second chance.

I'd have more sypathy for someone who murdered in cold blood, because mutilation (she ****ing ate the babies brains!!) shows a level of evil far far higher than that of a quick stabbing/shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

Nope. Don't care if she was mental.

There are some things that are unforgivable.

Pity about her and all but just no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Depends entirely on the person, the circumstances, the degree of sincerity they show in asking for one (if that can ever be measured) so there is no black and white answer but it's probably worth bearing in mind that a lot of people don't even get a first one.

vinylmesh wrote: »
    What this woman did was dispicable. If it was a man not one person would say he deserves a second chance.

Don't see what that has to do with anything? I disagree none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

To a certain point yes.

In the case illustrated, a definite no. The woman is insane, end of. If she's suffering from some form of psychosis, then imagine her frame of mind were she to be 'cured' and released.

If she's a sociopath, then she should definitely never be released from custody after an act like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

turd ferguson deserves a second turd chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Certainly people should be given another chance to redeem themselves but only in certain cases.

Murderers, rapists etc should never be given a second chance.

I will always give someone a second chance to redeem themselves. I've given Newcastle United plenty of chances but still nothing...... actually they deserve to be under the category of murderers etc cos they're just so evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Don't see what that has to do with anything? I disagree none the less.

Disparities in the level of sympathy people have for criminals based on factors other than their crimes.

Which is quite relevant to a discussion on whether or not various people deserve a second chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Smart Bug wrote: »
    To a certain point yes.

In the case illustrated, a definite no. The woman is insane, end of. If she's suffering from some form of psychosis, then imagine her frame of mind were she to be 'cured' and released.

If she's a sociopath, then she should definitely never be released from custody after an act like this.
    Google 'postnatal psychosis'.

It is curable and a person can recover from it completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'd be a hypocrite to say that people shouldn't be given a second chance due to my personal ideology. I think people can change their ways if they have the motivation, and are given the power and the assistance to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

That bastard Gerald Barry got a second chance, a third chance, and many more chances after that and look at how many lives he destroyed.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

We all mess up (God knows I have). I always give people second chances but I suppose it does depend on what they did to qualify for a second chance. I see the good in people and always give benefit of doubt. But if they really hurt me, I'm usually the most stubborn fooker you'll ever meet. Majority though I do, because if the shoe was on the other foot, i'd like a second chance....;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

snyper wrote: »
    turd ferguson deserves a second turd chance

what did he actually do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I don't believe in giving second chances to murderers, rapists, paedos and people woh commit serious crimes. People who repeatedly commit more minor crimes should'nt be given chances either.

Right now im watching "Most Evil" on Discovery and there talking to a guy who slaughtered kids and their mothers. How could someone like that be given a second chance?

As for people who are insane if they murder they are a murderer. If you intentionally kill an innocent person you should'nt be given a second chance whether they are sane or insane.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think people deserve a second chance, if they are remorseful and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

No , people do not deserve a second chance imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Second chances don't work. They just don't. Whatever your limit is, once that point has been crossed, they can't step back over - simple as.

davyjose wrote: »
    Second chances don't work. They just don't. Whatever your limit is, once that point has been crossed, they can't step back over - simple as.
    So no one has ever served their prison term and then lived their life as a law abiding citizen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

davyjose wrote: »

How would you feel if someone applied this standard to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Katarn1

I like to think that, as flawed humans, we all make mistakes and all deserve second chances. The legal system is far from perfect but its designed to give second chances where possible ie rehabilitation.

Generally, if someone didn't fully understand what they were doing then yes, they should definitely be given a second chance.

But in the case of this woman. Its the most heinous of all crimes, committed in the worst way imaginable. Despite being (naively) idealistic and thinking that people can be rehabilitated, someone like this, should never be let loose again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

galwayrush wrote: »
    That bastard Gerald Barry got a second chance, a third chance, and many more chances after that and look at how many lives he destroyed.:(

Exactly! The people that gave him chances have blood on their hands now.

I wouldnt give the woman that killed her baby a second chance, i wouldnt take that risk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Yes, I believe that everyone is entitled to a second chance, people make mistakes and it is only right that they are given the chance to prove themselves, noone is perfect and we are do something stupid. I guess in a way, it depends on what it is they have done but I would give them another chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

genericguy wrote: »
    what did he actually do?

Drunken Pr0n posting binge.

1 Reason i would love to moderate... deleted posts grave yard. Goldmine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

marko91 wrote: »
    that "person" deserves a very slow and horrible death...its ok for her to eat her babys ****ing brain cos shes ill?jesus christ ****ed up or not she deserves WORSE than death!
    I hope you never have to experience extreme mental illness but a dose of severe schizophrenia, where you can't distinguish reality from delusion, might give you a sense of empathy all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

In cases of insanity, yes. But there would have to be absolutely no doubt that whatever they did again would be repeated.

Basically a 'no' then. Unless the person is incapable of making use of their second chance, say in a coma or braindead, then there is no way to know for sure they will not repeat the offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Premeditated murderers, kiddie fiddlers, Kerry Katona-No second chance.

Most other cases-A second chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

snyper wrote: »
    Drunken Pr0n posting binge.

1 Reason i would love to moderate... deleted posts grave yard. Goldmine.

thanks v much man.

he's defo back though, I've seen a post by him today somewhere!

• Advertisement
Advertisement