Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ALFA 159 Reliability

• 28-07-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi I'm thinking of purchasing an Alfa 159. Its the 1.8 petrol model. Year: 2007
    I've always associated alphas with reliability problems and was wondering if that is still the case on the newer models.
    They are a very attractive looking car and not bad to drive for a 1.8 so am hoping that I can buy one without it stopping after a few thousand k's..
    Any observations, experiences with these cars would be greatly appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

aquaman wrote: »
    I've always associated alphas with reliability problems and was wondering if that is still the case on the newer models.
    They are a very attractive looking car and not bad to drive for a 1.8 so am hoping that I can buy one without it stopping after a few thousand k's..

The 1.9 Turbo Diesel on the 159 is a cracker. That's the one to go for. I've never owned a diesel but in retrospect I'd have bought the diesel 147.

The 159 will feel a bit sluggish with the 1.8 - unless its the new 230bhp version!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I've always associated people who spell them 'alpha' as ignorant...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Lex Luthor wrote: »

In fairness that gets on my wick as well - perhaps more than it should:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Get a 2008 diesel one for low tax, good mpg and reliability. Go to the UK also as they are better value there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭poreilly101

I've a 2009 159 JTDM - 150 BHP Diesel saloon. I have to say I love it! Great engine and great handling. I've aprox 30K km on the clock and never once had i any problems.

I'm getting about 40mpg per tank so it's fine, cabin is a little cramped for a car of it's size but it's still a lovely place to be. I usually change every 12/14 months and this will be the first time in which I will be replace my existing car with the same model. It's nice to have something different on the road. It's not your boring Passat, Mondeo or rep car (Sorry Passat and Mondeo drivers) The tax on both the petrol and diesel models are a little higher than it's competitors but I personally think it's worth it

Don't forget, the must have with any alfa - Leather....

Good luck with your search, my advice to you is one word... Diesel!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

No they're good now very few problems.

For me the 159 has to have the Ti spec. Anything else and I think it looks just better than the average, but the Ti spec is the dogs danglies....
    Oh yeah in black aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Like this then:
    1095410-1.jpg

Ferris wrote: »
    Like this then:
    1095410-1.jpg

yip...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

pburns wrote: »
    In fairness that gets on my wick as well - perhaps more than it should:rolleyes:

It's a pity, because he spelt it right in the heading of the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

People in glass houses should not throw stones..."spell it", surely, not "spell them".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

This would be my TI (or would be if it were polished to within an inch of its life)

Thought the silver side mirrors could have been too much, but they have grown on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

Thanks for all the usefull input people. I'll be moving from a tdi130 A4. So would like a 159 in diesel (or a Ti, they're a great looking machine) but unfortunately slightly above my current price range. I'm stretching to the petrol to be honest.
    It has leather which is a plus and 140bhp which is 10 above what i'm in at the moment, but look significantly better than the Audi (in my opinion before a4 lovers freak).

Thanks for the spelling lesson Lex, very helpfull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Thanks for all the usefull input people. I'll be moving from a tdi130 A4. So would like a 159 in diesel (or a Ti, they're a great looking machine) but unfortunately slightly above my current price range. I'm stretching to the petrol to be honest.
    It has leather which is a plus and 140bhp which is 10 above what i'm in at the moment, but look significantly better than the Audi (in my opinion before a4 lovers freak).

Thanks for the spelling lesson Lex, very helpfull
    Just because the car has 10 more bhp that your last diesel, that doesn't mean that it will be quicker. The Diesel has more torque, which will more than make up for the 10bhp loss. Test drive them and see for your self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kuro_man wrote: »
    People in glass houses should not throw stones..."spell it", surely, not "spell them".
    Leave it out lads. No one likes the grammar police. Any more of it and the banning stick will be brought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Just because the car has 10 more bhp that your last diesel, that doesn't mean that it will be quicker. The Diesel has more torque, which will more than make up for the 10bhp loss. Test drive them and see for your self.

thanks for that. I suppose HP is literally the power output of the engine. weight of the car, gearing etc will affect speed/acceleration.
    I'm gona take it for a spin tomorrow so I'll let you know what I recon..

Advertisement