Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you go out with someone with the same name?

Options
  • 28-07-2009 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭

Was just reading the ideal man thread on here and it got me thinking of the concessions that people make when they find someone who might be right for them

i went out with a guy callen cian,first one id ever met with that name.Ane he messed me up big time.Anyway a few months later my friend goes to set me up with a guy who she says reminds her a lot of me,thinks we would get on great etc,met the guy and turns out hes also called cian.

Turns out i really liked him and a year and a half later were still going out,but things almost didnt happen because at the start i really didnt want to be set up with someone with the same name.my question is would you ever go out with someone with the same name as an ex?even though potentially they could be the perfect person for you but you turned them down because of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Of course I would go out with a guy who has the same name as an ex -- once I got past the initial weirdness of it.

If the new guy was as good as he seemed, there'd be no sense in screwing myself over twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Of course! It's just a name.

I thought this was going to be a thread about dating a guy who shared YOUR name, first or last (or both!). It would be really funny to meet a guy with my last name, and even funnier to meet a guy with my first name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I thought this was going to be a thread about dating a guy who shared YOUR name, first or last (or both!). It would be really funny to meet a guy with my last name, and even funnier to meet a guy with my first name!

Then check out this story!it could happen

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/A-Tale-of-Two-Kellys.html?yhp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

+1

I was prepared to say that if we ever got married I wouldn't have to decide whether or not to change my name!

Yeah I saw that article! I was thinking about it when I responded actually. :D

• Advertisement

It is funny I find alot of people are serial daters of certain names.

While I was still getting over my ex, I fell for a physical clone.
    And I didn't realise until it was pointed out. And then it was just wrong. :o

Yeah I saw that article! I was thinking about it when I responded actually. :D

i dont think that il ever find myself in that situation somehow:P the best bit of the whole article is when hes talking about how he was freaked out they might be related.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    It is funny I find alot of people are serial daters of certain names.

While I was still getting over my ex, I fell for a physical clone.
    And I didn't realise until it was point out. And then it was just wrong. :o

Thats the angle i was trying to take,most people go for certain types so i was trying to say would it not put you off going for a clone esque person with the same name,it could be a bit weird

Thats the angle i was trying to take,most people go for certain types so i was trying to say would it not put you off going for a clone esque person with the same name,it could be a bit weird

Actually, my best friend from high school always dated guys named John. She went through 4-5 of them before she found the John she ended up marrying. What makes it even more weird is that her father, who had abandoned her and her mother when she was little, was named John.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I have three Dan's in my past and all turned out disastrously! BUT if I met another Dan and he was lovely, I'd prob go for it! :) My friends would never stop slagging me though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Dan dan dan, dan dan dan (to teh jaws theme :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I have done in the past, and since I'm terrible for saying the wrong name at the wrong time, its worked out pretty damn well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

haha allabouteve!

well, if I ever get back into dating (hopefully not!) then I'd really be discounting like, half the male population if I wouldn't date someone with the same name as my husband. There are just way too many "John"s out there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My best friend has gone out with 2 guys of the same name. I never have, and my boyfriend's name is very uncommon so I doubt I'd end up with someone of the same name should we break up. I wouldn't discount it, I guess. I do seem to end up with guys with nicknames that are used more often than their real names.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My boyfriend has the same name as my brother and uncle. Gets confusing when I talk about family events where they wereboth at.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well I would find it difficult, dunno if I could really. I'm sure the girl would convince me to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Three Peters I know are absolute psychos. Just putting it out there.

(I wouldn't be deterred by a guy's name being Peter though...)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dudess wrote: »
    Three Peters I know are absolute psychos. Just putting it out there.

(I wouldn't be deterred by a guy's name being Peter though...)

Well hate I wouldn't mind, but if you are in love with somebody for years it is different. They will always be your <name here>.
    I'd say it just takes a lot of time to get past that.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

but things almost didnt happen because at the start i really didnt want to be set up with someone with the same name.

The guy shouldn't have gone out with you.

You clearly have emotional issues.

"Your name's Joe? Like Joseph Stalin? I can't date you!"

Oddball.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

I once scored an amazingly hot (like waaaaay outta my league) guy in a club where it was too loud to hear what he introduced himself as. Later I found out it was the same as my bro (who i do NOT get on with) and it ruined it for me!!

Dated a guy called Cian and then a guy called Ian...which was a bit confusing at first!!

My current OH has quite a popular name but it is actually my fave boys name (even long before I met him). As silly as it sounds I don't think I could go out with another guy with his name as the nicname I gave him is based around his name. it would be too weird and heart breaking :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

Yah, i definitely would. It wouldn't make any difference to me if i liked the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭BlackandGold

Was just reading the ideal man thread on here and it got me thinking of the concessions that people make when they find someone who might be right for them

i went out with a guy callen cian,first one id ever met with that name.Ane he messed me up big time.Anyway a few months later my friend goes to set me up with a guy who she says reminds her a lot of me,thinks we would get on great etc,met the guy and turns out hes also called cian.

Turns out i really liked him and a year and a half later were still going out,but things almost didnt happen because at the start i really didnt want to be set up with someone with the same name.my question is would you ever go out with someone with the same name as an ex?even though potentially they could be the perfect person for you but you turned them down because of it.
    Are you for real? You'd contemplate not going out with someone because of their name? That's almost as stupid [more so in fact IMO!] as not going out with someone because their eyebrows are bushy, their brother is in jail, they wear yellow runners, they laugh loudly........... what a stupid reason for considering a potential date!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Well think about it like this for a minute......

thr guy who you thought was the love of your life dumps you and breaks your heart. Then after awhile you decide you better get back in the saddle and then you hit it off with a guy in a bar and he has the same name as the ex

....now that might upset a lot of people.

I don't think the OP meant she would discount a guy she had gotten to know and like just because of his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

wouldnt bother me tbh.. its just a name :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭BlackandGold

Well I'd worry about her then and not worry about whether a potential love interest has a similar name! If something that silly would influence someone's decision like that - she's clearly not over him and should wait until she is before venturing back into the dating world!!

Honestly, without any disregard for the OP - it's nothing personal, I think this is one of the silliest threads I've seen! IT'S A NAME!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My sister's first boyfriend was called Dave(David, whatever), her next proper relationship was with another guy called Dave, she then moved to Oz for a while and hooked up with a guy called...well, Dave. About a year after her return home she decided she was ready to date again, yep, you guessed it he was a Dave too. She ended up marrying this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Look on the brightside if you moan about him in bed you wont offend your partner :D I would go out with a girl the same name no problem but I think its only natural that you would be comparing. I think as time passes this would fade though..

Its saves you removing that tatooo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

It would probably be too weird if the new OH came straight after the old OH and they had the same first name.If a reasonable amount of time had elapsed then I wouldnt think it a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I know a couple who are engaged, and the women has the same first name as her partners surname. Im sure common sense will prevail though after marriage though

• Advertisement

emo!! wrote: »
    wouldnt bother me tbh.. its just a name :)

My name is cags. ;);)

Advertisement