Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL on Sky Player

• 28-07-2009 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I heard somewhere that NFL games are blacked out on Sky Player, does anyone know if this is true? I'm going to Uni in September so I need a way to watch football!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I wouldn't know since I don't subscribe to that service but it would seem strange for them to blackout their own programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Gamepass maybe have the rights to online coverage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Haz2311 wrote: »
    Hi there, I heard somewhere that NFL games are blacked out on Sky Player, does anyone know if this is true? I'm going to Uni in September so I need a way to watch football!

I always presumed they did it by country so once you are still in the UK and Ireland it still worked. Having never tried it though I wouldnt know. But someone had mentioned awhile back to me due to some sort of rights it doesnt work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Haz2311

If you heard it too then it's probably true. I've tried watching WWE on Sky Player and it says it's unavailable too. I guess due to television ratings or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

If you heard it too then it's probably true. I've tried watching WWE on Sky Player and it says it's unavailable too. I guess due to television ratings or something.

Online game rights more I would say as themont points out.

• Advertisement

themont85 wrote: »
    Gamepass maybe have the rights to online coverage?

Yeah thats more then likely the case. Having said that it looks like they show the Playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Still nothing to be seen on whether Sky Sports are carrying the NFL for the forthcoming season. They are showing the NFL Total Access show but nothing about their live schedule for the new season.

I checked the Sky guide for the Hall of Fame game this Sunday and it's not listed :confused: Very strange seeing as Sky has had it for the past couple of years.

I checked the Sky guide for the Hall of Fame game this Sunday and it's not listed :confused: Very strange seeing as Sky has had it for the past couple of years.

Erm maybe because negotiations between the NFL and Sky haven't reached an agreement yet.?

It should be interesting to see if they reach an agreement before that stage. I still think ESPN America will get some form of coverage e.g. NFL Countdown, NFL Live and the all important MNF.

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Erm maybe because negotiations between the NFL and Sky haven't reached an agreement yet.?

It should be interesting to see if they reach an agreement before that stage. I still think ESPN America will get some form of coverage e.g. NFL Countdown, NFL Live and the all important MNF.

Can you get me up to speed with this dispute? I didn't realise Sky didn't own the rights any more, I thought they signed some lengthy deal last season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,837 ✭✭✭Trampas

We can all calm down. Sky still have the rights to the NFL this year.

They are/was having a problem finding a sponsor.

Live NFL on Sky Sports:

Sky Sports broadcasts a variety of live NFL games and NFL Network programming. For the 2009 and 2010 seasons this comprises of live coverage of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game and five other Pre-season games, including Sunday Night Football and NFL Network's Run to the Play-offs. The package also includes the NFL Play-offs and Super Bowl, plus the Pro Bowl.
    Sky Sports is looking for a sponsor for all its Live Night NFL programming for the 2009-2010 - including 2 live games per night with two further live games available through the red button application and, Thanksgiving games, Play-offs and the Super Bowl all broadcast in great picture and sound quality HD!

Schedule:
    Sky Sports Network (1, 2, 3, Xtra)
    September 6th 2009
    Thanksgiving, The Play-Offs and the Super Bowl will broadcast in HD
    Two NFL games broadcast behind interactive red button

Sponsor Credits:
    Opening and Closing Credits: 15 seconds
    Break Bumpers: Approximately 32 x 5 seconds per live game
    Interactive TV: Accreditation will be mirrored on the two games
    On Air Promos: The sponor will be featured visually, and where possible, verbally, on all promotional trailers specific to the NFL

http://www.skymedia.co.uk/Advertising/TV/Sponsorship-Opps/live-nfl-on-sky-sports.aspx

So no more triple headers on Sundays?

Can you get me up to speed with this dispute? I didn't realise Sky didn't own the rights any more, I thought they signed some lengthy deal last season?

Sky's contract ran out last season even though like yourself I thought it was a lenghtier deal as well. At the moment I think it's a certainty that they get coverage but it's the quantity of the games that there's a question mark over.
    Trampas wrote: »
    We can all calm down. Sky still have the rights to the NFL this year.

They are/was having a problem finding a sponsor.

http://www.skymedia.co.uk/Advertising/TV/Sponsorship-Opps/live-nfl-on-sky-sports.aspx

That doesn't prove much unfortunately. It's a normal part of procedures to line up a sponsor, any contract with them would be dependent on getting the coverage.

Suppossedly there's gonna be a update about this on Thursday so very much interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Steelers Fan

For those of you who do not want to pay for SKY to watch NFL games, you can catch games live on channelsurfing.net or listen to online radio of games through fullervision.net

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭boccy23

This is assuming that the negotiations all going well and Sky have the 6PM and 9PM games.

Sky Player will give you the main game but no red button access.

I checked with the Sky people as I have been viewing the Sky Player for free during the last 2 months and thinking of prolonging the access. Cheaper than Multi room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mr. D

Thanks Steelers Fan. Will try channelsurfing.net very soon -- hope it works on Macs. This evening, however, it's off to the local -- whom I phoned and who said they'd put the game on -- for Steelers and Vikes. I wonder are both teams flattered by the opposition they've faced so far? Steelers are my team also. A wobbly start to the season is not uncommon for them. Enjoy.

Advertisement