Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport to Heuston Station

Options
  • 28-07-2009 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all

My friends are arriving into Dublin Airport next Friday. I won't be available to collect them so they will take the train to Cork.

Assuming the flight is on time (11.50 am) roughly what time will it be by the time the collect their baggage and get a taxi and arrive at Heuston? It's just that I'm trying to book train tickets and wondering which one will suit.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

There is a direct, express bus (Dublin Bus #748) from the airport to Heuston. It runs every 25/30 minutes during the day and shouldn't take more than half an hour to get there. It can be very handy if they have a lot of luggage.

Their flight will probably arrive early (most airlines over-estimate) but it could take up to 30 minutes to get from the gate to the luggage area, wait for their luggage and get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Depending on how many of them there are, they could consider Dublin Bus route 748 which will drop them door to door. It uses the port tunnel, so is quite quick. Buy tickets (single or return) from the CIÉ desk at the airport or singles only on the bus (remember its a bus, not a bank :)). http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/Airport-Services/

A taxi would be €25-30 one-way.

Luggage and immigration could easily take an hour, so there are buses at 1305 and 1335. So they would arrive in Heuston at about 1340 or 1410. Trains depart at 1400 and 1500.

The cheap (€10) trains Dublin to Cork are at 11.00, 14.00 (not Friday) and 21.00, so your next best bet is probably an ordinary webfare for €36. If they are students, they can only get the Student Return with the Irish Rail student card, not other student cards. If they miss a particular train, they can use it the same day (they may need to pay a premium). The 14.00 train is booked out for webfares, but (more expensive) walk on fares may be available from the station.

All fares: http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/fare_calc.php?station_from=HSTON&station_to=CORK&stage1=Submit+Query

If you book tickets on the web, they will need the booking reference to collect the tickets from the booking office.

Note some timetable changes over the bank holiday weekend: http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=416

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Hi all

My friends are arriving into Dublin Airport next Friday. I won't be available to collect them so they will take the train to Cork.

Perhaps they could simply fly to cork?

Advertisement