Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No water in bathroom basin

Options
  • 28-07-2009 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Changed a tap in my kitchen this morning. Turned off mains under sink and hot water in airing cupboard and also plugged out water pump. I turned back on water etc. but in the bathroom the basin only has a trickle of water and the pump doesnt kick in. the pump is working for kitchen, shower and toilet altough it does make a pulsing noise.
    Is this an airlock?
    What can I do or do i need to call a pro.
    House is a bungalow basin tap is mono

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

FURBALL18 wrote: »
    Changed a tap in my kitchen this morning. Turned off mains under sink and hot water in airing cupboard and also plugged out water pump. I turned back on water etc. but in the bathroom the basin only has a trickle of water and the pump doesnt kick in. the pump is working for kitchen, shower and toilet altough it does make a pulsing noise.
    Is this an airlock?
    What can I do or do i need to call a pro.
    House is a bungalow basin tap is mono

Your pump needs a flow of water to activate it. Sounds strange how your only getting a small flow at the basin when all other taps off the pump are OK.

Open a tap or shower that is supplied by the pump and working OK, leave it open, then go to the basin and open the tap with poor flow. If your still not getting a good flow, by draining the system you could have got some dirt into the pipe and tap, might be a bit of insulation from the cylinder or some kind of dirt which is blocking the tap.

The pump should be able to push out any air provided the other taps off the same pump are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Very strange pump either works or does not.... Once there is any flow it should cause the pump to kick in. Is there a chance you connected the basin connectors the wrong way around. On a pump fitted the normal this would not matter but on a pump fitted inline as yours sounds like this would matter

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FURBALL18

Took of aerator on tap and was clogged up with dirt. Now have water in tap but pump continues to pump when tap is switched off. Does that mean theres dirt in the pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Took of aerator on tap and was clogged up with dirt. Now have water in tap but pump continues to pump when tap is switched off. Does that mean theres dirt in the pump?

Usually means air or dirt in switch. Run the pump for 5 min continous, a good 5 mins see what happens. I might be wrong but its a cheap DIY solution

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FURBALL18

Seems to have cleared. Fingers crossed.
    Thanks very much. You might have lifted the dark cloud that was hanging over my head the last day. Convinced myself i'd buggered the shower pump and it's only a couple of weeks old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

After you close a tap the pump may continue to pump until all pipe work is pressurized. This will give enough pressure to move water once the tap is opened to activate the pump. Its just charging up your pipe work.

Advertisement