Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat on, but not working.

Options
  • 28-07-2009 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,

This has happen before, heat hasn't been on for couple of months and now it is not working.
    I turn the gas heat on and it does not circulate to the rads.
    I know it is related to the pump under the stairs as I had to call back the guy who serviced the boiler last year as a similar problem developed after the service. He just did a 2 second job to the pump and all was fine.
    Is this something i can do myself?
    any advice would be great
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

pdm wrote: »
    Hi all,

This has happen before, heat hasn't been on for couple of months and now it is not working.
    I turn the gas heat on and it does not circulate to the rads.
    I know it is related to the pump under the stairs as I had to call back the guy who serviced the boiler last year as a similar problem developed after the service. He just did a 2 second job to the pump and all was fine.
    Is this something i can do myself?
    any advice would be great
    Thanks

Hard to tell what it is, a 2 second job sounds like changing a fuse to me.
    When you say you turn it on, does the boiler lock out after a min or two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pdm

Thanks for your help Stratocaster,

yes it goes back to just the pilot again after a couple of minutes, I think it may be pressure related, i forgot to mention that i bled a couple of radiators before turning the heat on,

Thanks for your help Stratocaster,

yes it goes back to just the pilot again after a couple of minutes, I think it may be pressure related, i forgot to mention that i bled a couple of radiators before turning the heat on,

How new is the gas boiler? Most new gas boilers require at least 1bar of pressure to come on, maybe its nothing to do with the pump, when you vented the rads you could have lowered the pressure below 1bar. See if there is a pressure gauge on the boiler or system pipework and make sure there's a least 1bar, if its lower than a bar you will have to top it up by the fill valve, fill valve could be under the stairs, maybe the service person filled it up in those 2 seconds.

starting to sound like a two hour job now!

Close to the bolier there is a red knob thats has "3 bars" written on it.
    On the pump there is a Screw, with arrows showing how to turn it, it could be a valve, I really don't know enough about it. I remember the service man going in there with a screwdriver, I always assumed he just turned it to add pressure.

Could be time to call him again!
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Sounds like a stuck pump,switch off electric remove the large screw from the centre of the pump insert a screwdriver into the opening and engage in the slot on the shaft, turn it back & forward a few times to free the pump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

aujopimur wrote: »
    Sounds like a stuck pump,switch off electric remove the large screw from the centre of the pump insert a screwdriver into the opening and engage in the slot on the shaft, turn it back & forward a few times to free the pump.

That was my feeling, can he not just turn the speed up on the pump and see if this works first, Its the black circular dial, turn it up to 3 then back down to where it was.

Close to the bolier there is a red knob thats has "3 bars" written on it.
    On the pump there is a Screw, with arrows showing how to turn it, it could be a valve, I really don't know enough about it. I remember the service man going in there with a screwdriver, I always assumed he just turned it to add pressure.

Thanks again

Sounds like you have enough pressure, what your talking about there is the circulation pump, the arrow is showing the direction of circulation. The screw is the bleed screw to bleed out any air in the pump. You could try to open it a little to see if any air comes out, might just need to open the screw anti clockwise a little. Sounds strange having a slight bit of air is causing no circulation, the pump should still be able to circulate, even though it could have some air in it. As someones mentioned above, could have a stuck impeller. Maybe its best to ring him.

Forgot to mention, that pressure looks a bit high if its set at 3bar, you safety on the boiler will probably open at 3.5.

Thanks everyone,

I'll try freeing the pump so, the dial is already at 3 so doing it that way is not an option I guess. when I loosened the screw a little last nightand no air came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Thanks everyone,

I'll try freeing the pump so, the dial is already at 3 so doing it that way is not an option I guess. when I loosened the screw a little last nightand no air came out.

Your pump should not be set on its highest rateing. This is not my rec but the manufactures. Try seeing if when you get it working you can leave it on 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

Hard to tell what it is, a 2 second job sounds like changing a fuse to me.
    When you say you turn it on, does the boiler lock out after a min or two?
    if its a pressurised system , he might have just re ,pressurised it to one bar when cold. ive come across boilers that havent worked just because they werent pressurised, and thats a two second job aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

Sounds like you have enough pressure, what your talking about there is the circulation pump, the arrow is showing the direction of circulation. The screw is the bleed screw to bleed out any air in the pump. You could try to open it a little to see if any air comes out, might just need to open the screw anti clockwise a little. Sounds strange having a slight bit of air is causing no circulation, the pump should still be able to circulate, even though it could have some air in it. As someones mentioned above, could have a stuck impeller. Maybe its best to ring him.

Forgot to mention, that pressure looks a bit high if its set at 3bar, you safety on the boiler will probably open at 3.5.
    i most new boilers there is a automatic air vent behind the front cover of it. sometimes you have to open them aswell as bleed the pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Have u tried bleeding the Rads

Close to the boiler there is a red knob thats has "3 bars" written on it.

Thanks again

The red indicator tends not to be a indicator of system pressure, but normally indicates blow-off point, the pressure indicator tends to be black, bleed from the highest point if you have lots of water/pressure it would identify if you have water in the system, if it's sluggish then you may need repressurising, also if you do have 3 bar in the system and remove pump screw fully you may have to wait for the pressure to ease before it will go back on, put a screw driver to the screw point, put your ear to the top and turn the pump speed up and down, you should be able to hear the change in speed, Gary.

Thanks Lads for all the advice,

No luck, but I really don't know enough about this stuff.
    Turn the pump back to 2, also noticed water is hot when I try boiler for a while, didn't think it would be.

anyhow thanks again.

Thanks Lads for all the advice,

No luck, but I really don't know enough about this stuff.
    Turn the pump back to 2, also noticed water is hot when I try boiler for a while, didn't think it would be.

anyhow thanks again.

Sounds like you have a simple gas boiler with external pump, vent, safety and expansion vessel. Those type of boilers tend to work off any system pressure so might not be a pressure related problem, sounds like its all down to the circulating pump. Might be a blown motor, best call a plumber out as its hard to determine the actual cause with out physically seeing the system.

Advertisement