Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare's first motorway about to become a reality

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

It will get you from A to Z,
    Exactly as it say's in the can!!!

They're only changing the colour of the signs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They're only changing the colour of the signs..
    And the speed, 120Kph as opposed to 100Kph also learners will be banned along with slow moving vehicles along with the possibility if introduing tolls in some part of the route, probably on the Galway side.

Ennis to Limerick in less than 25 minutes, Ennis to Galway in 40 minutes, Who would want to take the Western Corridor that could take twice that time. Currently the Bus is faster than the Train to Limerick and thats without the motorway.

I say reserve this route for vintage steam and heritage Diesel runs.

I take the train to limerick quiet often and find it a very good service.
    i see were some members of the council have objected to the motorway status based on safety grounds.The NRA have refused to hear their argument and are going ahead as scheduled.Although the western corridor may sound like money badly spent at the moment i think there will be a time in the future when it will be appreciated,We must continue to invest for the future and in these hard economical times we can get greater competion on prices and help substain jobs .Now is the time to push our infrastructure into the 21 century.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The train to Limerick is very handy, I often get it if I'm going out in Limerick. I saw the motorway signs this morning, fantastic, it means you can go 20% faster which means you should be able to reduce your travel time, to be honest though I don't think it's going to make a huge difference overall, I remember (I'm not that old honest) when going to Limerick was a massive hassle, get into the car, stuck in Clarecastle, stuck in Newcastle, stuck in Bunratty, stuck in Cratloe, now, you can realistically look at doing it in 20 minutes without breaking any speedlimits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Kradock

Clareman wrote: »
    The train to Limerick is very handy, I often get it if I'm going out in Limerick. I saw the motorway signs this morning, fantastic, it means you can go 20% faster which means you should be able to reduce your travel time, to be honest though I don't think it's going to make a huge difference overall, I remember (I'm not that old honest) when going to Limerick was a massive hassle, get into the car, stuck in Clarecastle, stuck in Newcastle, stuck in Bunratty, stuck in Cratloe, now, you can realistically look at doing it in 20 minutes without breaking any speedlimits

No wonder it was hassle:p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ah j@ysus, it's too early, that'd be an awful treck wouldn't it :D

Newmarket of course

I remember going to the 92 Munster Final and turning off at the Clare in, into Shannon, up by Cratloe and parking around Thomond Park and my father thinking it was great that it only took 45 minutes, now I normally leave 45 minutes before a HEC Cup game in Thomond, 30 minutes for a Magners game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I think the NRA should up the speed on Motorways/dual carriageways another 10 or 20 kph and reduce the speed on all other routes. It's the bad roads where all these accidents happen, assuming you don't have a politican drink driving on the wrong side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

first motorway??........but isn't limerick to shannon a motorway??

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Nope its a dual carriageway. Difference is there are too many sharp curves on limerick to shannon section which also affect forward sight distance therefore wouldnt come under 120kph guidelines. Even though some of the slip roads on the Ennis Bypass surely dont measure up. The Barefield junction is hairy enough at 100kph not to mind 120kph.:eek:

Motorway will start from smithstown interchange on N-18 as far as i know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

pajoguy wrote: »
    Nope its a dual carriageway. Difference is there are too many sharp curves on limerick to shannon section which also affect forward sight distance therefore wouldnt come under 120kph guidelines. Even though some of the slip roads on the Ennis Bypass surely dont measure up. The Barefield junction is hairy enough at 100kph not to mind 120kph.:eek:

Motorway will start from smithstown interchange on N-18 as far as i know.

There's also houses with driveways right on to the dual carridgeway on the way into Limerick, and the Radisson hotel is right on it, (not to mention that really dangerous junction in the meridian of the DC just across from the Radisson), so the Limerick to Cratloe stretch could never become a motorway without a serious amount of work.

As for the really short slip roads at Barefield and the Tulla Road, yep, they are far too short, and when the bypass first opened, I thought that they'd put an end to the idea that the road could ever be a motorway. Putting my foot down in my Focus (1.6 petrol), I the best I've got up to is about 90 km/h before the hard shoulder begins - really, you should be able to get up to full speed before you merge.

But I've since driven in Italy, where the autostrada have the exact same length slip roads, but a limit of 130 km/h. So it looks like it can be done without pileups every time anyone merges. But maybe I have too much faith in the abilities of Irish drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Saw a car yesterday morning around 9.30 going the wrong way on the dual carriageway....!

Glad they weren't doing 120km!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Heres some photos I took a few days ago:

DSC02330.jpg

DSC02331.jpg

DSC02332.jpg

DSC02333.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

HAHA What the ??? By which I mean, I like the photos!

phutyle wrote: »
    So it looks like it can be done without pileups every time anyone merges. But maybe I have too much faith in the abilities of Irish drivers.

They are actually ok if people drive on motorways correctly, people are so damn stupid that they wont pull into the fast lane to let these cars merge.

i just hope there's no addition to the amount of roundabouts in Ennis, cause evertime i go there on the way to lahinch i get dizzy:rolleyes:

Motorway status means that roundabouts cannot be on it directly. Its interchanges must be on/off ramps. The flow of traffic cannot be stalled at any stage. This ensures long commutes do not cause bottle necks for other along the way traffic.

Its great, and with the opening of the US customs at Shannon, Im hoping this will give the region a much needed competitive boost following recent bad news jobs wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

tech2 wrote: »
    They are actually ok if people drive on motorways correctly, people are so damn stupid that they wont pull into the fast lane to let these cars merge.

Very true, an awful lot of cars don't bother moving into the overtaking lane to let people merge as they should.

However, some vehicles, such as busses and trucks, aren't legally allowed drive in the overtaking lane of a motorway. Also, you have instances of people overtaking traffic as they approach the slip road, basically preventing traffic in the driving lane from moving out to let the cars merge.

I think they skimped a bit on the construction of those two junctions (Tulla Road and Barefield) - they have enough land to build longer slip roads with a more gradual turn. I don't even mean something as big as the Dromoland interchange, or the one for Ennis itself - just maybe another 150M of merging lane. All all that would be lost is a bit of hard shoulder.

I assume that there'll be more of these short slip roads on the Gort bypass stretch of the M18, and on other new roads around the country, so we'd better get used to them. With the new found abundance of M-ways, they're going to need to add some kind of training on them to the driving test. - but that's probably wishful thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I think they skimped a bit on the construction of those two junctions (Tulla Road and Barefield) - they have enough land to build longer slip roads with a more gradual turn. I don't even mean something as big as the Dromoland interchange, or the one for Ennis itself - just maybe another 150M of merging lane. All all that would be lost is a bit of hard shoulder.

I contacted Clare CoCo and the NRA when the Ennis Bypass opened to complain about the Barefield slip road (which I use frequently). It's simply too short, and difficult to reach even 60 km/h to merge. They could easily have doubled the length without additional cost.

Anyway, the party line was that it is within the specs. I don't see why they would build a junction at a lower standard than those on, say, the Newmarket bypass. Skimping I guess....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

The dual carriageway is a fine bit of road, I have been on the Autobahn back home and some old bits of it aren't even up to that standard. And the Germans would be complaining that the limit on those bits is a measly 130 km/h. And some of those stretches don't even have a hard shoulder.
    Driving up to the North I notice a steep decline of road quality once over the border.
    This road is easily suitable for 120 km/h. Heck, it would be suitable for 130-140 km/h, but you'd have to take the driving into account. People hogging the fast lane at 98.98 km/h (You're not getting pasht me, boyo!), people who think the name of the game is "Don't Let That Car Off The On Ramp!" (just pull alongside and accelerate past them and out in front), farmers who got their licence in a box of cereal 35 years ago and think the hard shoulder is reserved for people driving at 45 km/h (funny how these guys drive at 45 km/h no matter what road they're on), tractors pulling HUGE diggers (sorry, but that is oirish, I haven't seen that ANYWHERE in Europe) and as the DC passes through knockanean, some sheep have managed to break out and are grazing alongside the fence, they could easily wander onto the road.
    But honestly, driving has improved. When the DC first opened things where worse, people have gotten used to it.
    And what every child could tell you is that Limerick, Ennis, Shannon and Galway should be linked by both, rail and road.
    The road will eventually get there, but I'm worried about the rail link, which eventually will go from Limerick to Ennis (as it does now) and from there to nowhere and somewhere in the middle of it.
    We're supposed to take the train. Ha, bloody ha.
    I would like to take the train from Crusheen to Galway, because the road to Galway is abysmal and parking is terrible.
    I can't, so I won't.
    Galway mustn't be too interested in garnering business from Clare people.
    Sure they don't need the money.
    So I go to Limerick instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Disappointing there is not a train stop in Crusheen but thats for another thread i guess

I would like to take the train from Crusheen to Galway, because the road to Galway is abysmal and parking is terrible.
    I can't, so I won't.
    Galway mustn't be too interested in garnering business from Clare people.
    Sure they don't need the money.
    So I go to Limerick instead.

Agree, Galway is a nightmare. Its dual carraige ways are antiquated and in need a serious upgrade. The city centre is always choked and parking... what parking?

The only priority for Galway is the road to Dublin. Ever notice in Galway there are more cheeseballs driving around, in BMWs and Audis? The registration is either G or D.

Anyways, motorway all the way, Cork to Donegal (hopefully)

The Newmarket on Fergus bypass was built by roadbridge and the design was done by Clare county council.
    The Ennis bypass was built and designed by Gama,
    That should explain why there is such a difference between the two stretches of roadway and structures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Did anybody notice they spelt Ennistymon with a "i" ie Ennistimon on the blue signs just before clareabbey turnoff on the Limerick bound side?

Somehow dont think the Tulla Road on and off ramps on both sides of carriage way are motorway standard. So wonder with the NRA do something with the junctions.

The first week that the Tulla Road off ramp was opened a red northern plated car had careered off the road it appeared it was going into towards Ennis surprised there has not been more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

golden wrote: »
    Did anybody notice they spelt Ennistymon with a "i" ie Ennistimon on the blue signs just before clareabbey turnoff on the Limerick bound side?

They also seem to be spelling Lahinch as Lehinch now for some strange reason

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

exiot wrote: »
    They also seem to be spelling Lahinch as Lehinch now for some strange reason

There are multiple spelling inconsistencies on the road signs around Ennis already. In addition to Lahinch/Lehinch & Ennistymon/Ennistimon, I've also spotted Kildysart/Kiladysart. Why can't they be consistent and go with the regular commonly accepted spellings?

Weather the speed limit has changed to 120kph or not yet, those blue signs just wanna make you put the pedal to the metal!

Takes me 12-15 minutes to get to Shannon doing 120kph as a opposed to 18-20 for 100kph.

Have noticed that if I floor it to 130-140kph I get there in 10 minutes or less.

I remember one night I made it back from Limerick in 15 minutes, that was doing ludicrious speed!

Takes me 12-15 minutes to get to Shannon doing 120kph as a opposed to 18-20 for 100kph.

Have noticed that if I floor it to 130-140kph I get there in 10 minutes or less.

I remember one night I made it back from Limerick in 15 minutes, that was doing ludicrious speed!

you're cruising for a bruising:cool:

I assume that there'll be more of these short slip roads on the Gort bypass stretch of the M18, and on other new roads around the country, so we'd better get used to them. With the new found abundance of M-ways, they're going to need to add some kind of training on them to the driving test. - but that's probably wishful thinking.

Nope Gort-Crusheen will be HQDC basically motorway standard road and all junctions are grade separated junctions. There is only two junctions on the route: The Crusheen interchange and the Gort interchange.

The Ennis bypass was not constructed motorway standard but as standard dc which allows LILO's like that one for Scariff. But it does feel like it is motorway standard being on the mainline itself.

I agree on the driving test as there will be just over 1000km of motorway next year. Back in the 90's you would only come across a few km's going into Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

Went to Germany on holidays last year. Had rented the usual sh*tcan (some small biscuit tin with a just about 1 litre engine) and was upgraded to a Fiat Bravo, 130 bhp, 1.9 litre turbodiesel.
    There was a 200 km stretch of the A7 without any speedlimits.
    Cruising betwen 200 and 220 km/h, that distance was despatched in less than an hour.
    Best bit of my holidays, simply awesome, nothing beats cruising along at 200+ km/h for an hour for a good rush.

Advertisement