Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat adapting to kitten??

Options
  • 28-07-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

HI all looking for some advice in relation to my cat!! Bit of background.

Hes 2 yrs old, was a stray that found me! I fell in love with him and my flatmate at the time wanted his litter mate (boy). When she moved out the boys didnt get on well at all. So i had to re-home her guy.

Now i have found a female kitten she was thrown from a car, she has a hernia and for that reason its getting hard to find her a home. I dont want to give her to the DSPCA as by looks of their site they have loads of cats and kittens. Problem is that we are getting attached.

My guy usually fights (viciously) with all other cats but so far he isn't fighting with her. He's not welcoming either tho! He can hiss occasionally and is in much better form when she isnt in the room. My question (finally!) is do u think he will ever take to her??? Or am i creating a very unhappy cat?? :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

here is her pic, how could anyone throw her from a car???? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭maxim

My brother had a similar problem with 2 cats, and he was seriously worried about the safety of the kitten. He spoke to his vet who advised always to 'pet' the older one first, feed it first and generally always speak to it/ treat it first. This apparently helps to eliminate some jealously, and confirm that the elder cat is the 'superior' and not displaced by the kitten. It seemed to work for his cats, and although they aren't great buddies, they now put up with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Don't give out to him! He's allowed to hiss at her. Don't let him savage her, but swat and hiss and swipe is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Is the male neutered? If not that could be the answer to the cats agression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I had the same problem, my older cat would hiss and strike the kitten if she came to close. The kitten would always run off but would keep coming back to the older cat. After about 2 weeks they where fine together. Now a year later they sleep together and groom each other! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Great thanks for all the advice. I think i will ride it out a bit longer and see how it goes. He's getting better but still hissing. I haven't kept them sleeping in the same room yet so that'll be the next step! Hopefully there wont be too much drama!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

The kitty is gorgeous, can't believe some people can be so cruel.
    I've 3 cats (17, 10 and 18 mths) the 10 year old has never gotton on with any other cat and the young fella spends his time winding her up. The older cat is very friendly and has always been a mother figure to any other cats I've had. I think some cats just like their own company and prefer to be loners. Only problem you will have is that the kitten being young and frisky will want to play with the other cat and this may result in a few fights. Hopefully they'll learn to live with each other.

Advertisement