Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

old roof able to take new concrete tiles

• 28-07-2009 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

hi all new to this, we are doing our roof and the timbers are fine house is 60 years old never had felt and has some dodgy looking slates, my question is on removing these light slates could we put on concrete tiles or would the old roof be fit to take the weight? would be very grateful if anyoneone who has done such a job or anyone who knows about this sort of thing could get back to me :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

All depends on:
    The size of the rafters,
    The size of the Joists/Collars,
    Connection of the rafters to the Joists/Collars,
    Connection of the rafters to the wall/wall plate,
    Span of the roof,
    Pitch of the roof,
    Is there a purlin present, if so, what size is it,
    Is the Ridge acting as a support, if so, what size is it,
    Are all the nailed connections in good repair, and were they all carried out properly.

Basically get an experienced AT/Engineer to look at it for you.
    My feeling is that the existing timbers are 'life stressed' to their previous loading and replacing slate for tiling is adding weight about 8 fold on the roof. I wouldn't do it, too much to go wrong.

or it could just be a case of beefing up the carcass you have, get someone to check it on site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭valarie001

thanks for your reply! might get somone to check it, the rafters are very close together about 2 foot apart, and the wood is larch was thinking of a few props and it might work out:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

valarie001 wrote: »
    the rafters are very close together about 2 foot apart

most of the time the rafters will be spaced out to sixteen inches apart. get it checked out by a pro its better safe than sorry!

Advertisement