Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY TV what a nightmare

Options
  • 28-07-2009 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

:mad::mad::mad:
    Even sitting down to write this i feel like i'm going to explode with anger...
    Let me begin at the start. 2 weeks ago i received the news ky viewing card through the post. Grand job says me, i'll follow the simple instructions on the letter and it should be no bother. So next day i insert the new card and carry on blissfully unaware of what was to come. 24 hours later i arrive home sit down in front of the tv and turn on...message on screen"this card is not suitable for this set top box". HMM funny that, so i call sky technical, turns out theres some issue with the card and they need to send some signals, no hassle. Another 24 hours pass and still the same.
    To cut a very long story short, every day since i call approx 5 times and each time i am met with someone who can barely speak english and they proceed to tell me they are going to send some signals and it will be sorted within 24 hrs.
    After i eventually tell them that i have called 20 plus times they say that the new card is faulty and a new one wil be issued within 3 days. That was 7 days ago.
    Now my major problem is that there is nobody and i mean nobody i can call to escalate this matter. I ihave tried customer service who told me they only deal with account issues.
    I have even tried to the national consumer agency who in turn told me to contact comreg who in turn basically told me i am goosed, as there is no regulation of sky in Ireland.
    I am pretty sure that this problem will never ever be fixed as there is nobody to turn to. Do i have any option only to cancel my account???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Honestly the new card will arrive, when it does call back and ask for a credit for the viewing you missed.

If they won't give you this and if you have had your account for more than 12 months, tell them you would like to cancel, be prepared to cancel.

Be aware though if you do decide to re-connect at the same address you won't be able to get the usual free connection deal new customers get. (so change a little bit of your address)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

they are failing to provide the service and you have given them ample opportunity to send "signals" they could have sent smoke signals and probably get better results! ring them up and ask to cancel as they are not providing the service and tell them you are going to cancel your direct debit and see how quickly they will get it sorted out for you!

they can arrange next day call outs for fixing dishes etc but ONLY when people insist on cancelling so that is probably your best course of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If they have declared your "new" card as faulty, then they will flag this card on this system as disabled. No amount of time-waiting will re-activate this card. The only thing you can do in this case, is wait for your new card to arrive in the post. Assuming they did post your new card when they said they would post you out a new one (NOTE! The 3 days, I imagine, means they will actually place your new card in the post in 3 days - NOT that your card will be with you in 3 days), they are unfortunately unable to control the efficiency of Royal Mail/An Post!

I'd get on to them though, make sure they do not charge you for their services between the time you lost access to the service until you actually receive your physical card and have said card successfully activated in your sky digibox.

If you cancel now, or get them to re-issue the card, chances are an even "newer" card will arrive in the post in the next few days - except this card, too, will now also be de-activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Harry.c

HI all,This company is a complete joke, I used to do sub contract work for them untill they refused to pay me for it,Take my advice and ditch them and go for a free to air service with no bills.Reoeats, bad costomer service and rip off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

9 days after i was promised that a new card would be sent out and all would be sorted. Decided this evening i'd give another call, told my story and the lady on the phone said that was easily fixed, just wait 10 to 24 hours for the signal to be sent and all would be ok. I exploded, absolutely lost it, demanded to speak to someone who knew what was going on, eventually this bloke comes on and says he has looked at my account and all the calls i have made and the best solution was tht he would send out a new card but it would take 3 to 5 days. I'm here losing the will to live listening to this fella tell what i've heard at least 20 times already.

Surely to christ they are accountable to someone or have some sort of customer service programme going on where this cant be allowed.
    Still no tv and i'll eat my hat if i ever have again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Have they waived their subscription charges for the time you have been without a TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

astrofool wrote: »
    Have they waived their subscription charges for the time you have been without a TV?

ya they have but thats not much good to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

The SKY call centre left me in tears once, it's impossible to deal with. I didn't cancel my SKY though because the actual tv service works well so long as you never need to speak to them, which generally you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 whitefire

I've had similar issues with Sky. Got connected at the end of September, but after activating the card I was not receiving the Irish channels and the signal cut out frequently. Wasted much time ringing 4 times and talking to people with hardly any English giving me this rubbish about sending signals to the box.
    They refused to send an engineer and did not call back as promised. I cancelled the direct debit and after telling them of my intention to cancel, put it in writing along with all my complaints. I cited being materially disadvantaged which is a cancellation clause in their contract.
    Received a letter last friday not accepting my right to cancel, and yesterday got a letter threatening debt collectors unless I pay up a cancellation fee of €180 within a month.
    Has anyone had any similar experiences of taking on SKY and winning , because now they would actually benefit from their lack of service which is totally unjust?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Ask for credit for the time you missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

they already have........ and was granted it.
    imola94 wrote: »
    ya they have but thats not much good to me

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dealt with Sky years ago to sort out a billing/account issue, staff don't have a clue and won;t follow the companys own procedures.

Worst company I've ever dealt with and I've dealt with BT and Three ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Cabaal wrote: »
    Dealt with Sky years ago to sort out a billing/account issue, staff don't have a clue and won;t follow the companys own procedures.

Worst company I've ever dealt with and I've dealt with BT and Three ;)

Try NTL, there top of the list!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Try NTL, there top of the list!

Nah I've dealt with NTL a number of times with no issues, Sky by far are the worst in my books

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I was also with SKY for years.
    One of the early adopters here of Sky+ and then Sky HD
    Paid thru the nose.

But as soon as the HD box developed issues and then the refurbished box developed issues and I sought a replacement only to be told it would cost another 299... - well I snapped.

Have now been without SKY for nearly 8 or 9 months.
    Still have the box - still have the free to air stations.
    No RTE or TV3 - but come on....

Take the plunge - cancel your subscription and enjoy reduced bills...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ash2020

i ordered sky at the start of dec just gone, took 3 weeks to get installed after i was promised i would have it installed the 18th, 23rd and on the 30th they still rang to say that couldn't get near me for another week! I got the number of there head office and spoke to the manager and he arranged it for the next workig day, new years eve the 31st. However sky have still failed to send me out viewing cards! have phoned them up 3 seperate times about this and they tell me it is out of there control and it is a computerised automatic service where the cards come from... what a joke!

Does anyne know when the billing come into effect? Is it when you actualy activate the cards or is it from the date of installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The day you finally activate your card if you still want to....

I have lost intrest in it now, I was promised I would have it up and running by christmas , but they never said which christmas :rolleyes:

il give them till friday and if they dont come then im going to cancel.., cancel somthing i dont even have activated yet

2 months now and still no sign of cards to arrive, im not going to bother wasting my time ringing their customer care anymore, 3 previous made calls fell on deaf ears, customer care my who*e !! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Taltos wrote: »
    I was also with SKY for years.
    One of the early adopters here of Sky+ and then Sky HD
    Paid thru the nose.

But as soon as the HD box developed issues and then the refurbished box developed issues and I sought a replacement only to be told it would cost another 299... - well I snapped.

Have now been without SKY for nearly 8 or 9 months.
    Still have the box - still have the free to air stations.
    No RTE or TV3 - but come on....

Take the plunge - cancel your subscription and enjoy reduced bills...

get these through freeview on your aerial, with epg etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

I had similar issues last week with Sky where the message started appearing on the screen that 'this card is not authorized'. Quick phone call to Sky and it was all sorted.

Those saying the people barely speak english....whenever I call I get through to a customer care place in Scotland. Not sure where you are calling to....

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Never had any issue with Sky - and hopefully wont.
    It does take a good while for the Sky card to issue tho. Think I was waiting nearly two months if not more. It was only the upgrade so I was fine. I think patience is a virtue tho when dealing with them!

Damned False advertising is what it is!!
    "Sign up today and have sky in for christmas"

I ordered well in time and wanted to watch all the new release HD movies at christmas and the new year... and still to date feck all cards!

Whats the story on sky compensating? I think 3 months free viewing would be in order seen as its heading that way now since i ordered the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

I had similar issues last week with Sky where the message started appearing on the screen that 'this card is not authorized'. Quick phone call to Sky and it was all sorted.

Those saying the people barely speak english....whenever I call I get through to a customer care place in Scotland. Not sure where you are calling to....

Totally agree with you. I have had issues and always end up talking to someone from Scotland which is nice. Problem is always sorted asap.

Advertisement