Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering Perlico 3meg broadband

• 28-07-2009 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭

First off, sorry for posting in the wrong forum but I can't access the broadband forum for some reason even though ive never posted on it:mad:

Any way ,I've had eircom 1meg broadband for 2 years now, and it always worked great ,full speed at all times.:)

Although my line fails the eircom/perlico line checker at all times, constantly I have to tell the sales reps on the phone my line is suitable.

Any way i orderd perlicos 3meg broadband in june and the phone changed over fine, but no broadband yet. Rang perlico today, told me my line was not suitalbe blah blah blah, yes it is I ses blah blah blah, no its not blah blah blah.

Puts me on hold for 15min to talk to engineer who says he could try hook up the 3meg but it might not "go through" otherwise I would have to reorder 1meg which "may go though".

My question is Why can't they just hook it up to 3meg, why would hooking up to 1meg work better. I understand it may not be fit for 3mb at all times but anything over 1mg is better,I don't want to be paying for the same old 1meg when I could be geting 3mb for the same price:mad:

PS heres my router stats

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 14.50 19.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 62.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 110069 1016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

The further you are from the exchange, the higher the attenuation so signal strength reduces increasing bit error rate measurements resulting in not enough data coming through that is accurate to demodulate into the real signal.

The probability of an error coming through is increased when the data rate is increased.

Least that's my understanding but I'm no telecomms expert :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

magher wrote: »
    First off, sorry for posting in the wrong forum but I can't access the broadband forum for some reason even though ive never posted on it:mad:

You don't appear to be banned from there as far as I can tell. I can move the thread if you want?
    magher wrote: »
    My question is Why can't they just hook it up to 3meg, why would hooking up to 1meg work better. I understand it may not be fit for 3mb at all times but anything over 1mg is better,I don't want to be paying for the same old 1meg when I could be geting 3mb for the same price:mad:

PS heres my router stats

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 14.50 19.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 62.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 110069 1016

In short the faster the connection the better quality line you need. Your line attenuation looks a bit high. Generally speaking a high SN ratio and low attenuation are good. I'm not entirely certain but it's possible that your line won't support the 3Mb connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭magher

Rang perlico today to check my broadband order and was told I could have the 1meg package with a 24gb download limit, so I asked if I can't get the 3meg speed why can't I at least have the 36gb download limit with 1meg speed, perlico have absolutly no common sense when it comes to these things.

So I told her ,thats it, I'm moving back to eircom if yous can't provide me the service I'm paying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

I'm trying to get the same perlico deal as well..perlico can't activate my dsl line, they say that they can't change it from eircom..been waiting for 3 weeks..what a load of BS...thinking of going with chorus ntl

Advertisement