Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aspect ratio

Options
  • 28-07-2009 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

A thought occured today while uploading photos from the cam..
    They're almost square shaped yet if I was to print them they would be on a rectangle print. My cam does have options for 3:2 ratio but still..
    This means any prints I get done will either be out of scale or cropped to fit.

On the other hand my mobile phone takes them in a landscape format by default and look more suited to prints.

How do you get around this problem? It is bugging me now thinking about it

Thanks as always!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

no way around, that is the aspect ratio of most consumer cameras, you have to crop or print with uneven white borders if you want them traditional print sizes

• Registered Users Posts: 30,190 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Depends on the camera sensor, and print size required, would either crop the photo or could print with border is the aspect was different... wouldn't change the aspect ratio which would distort the picture

for prints 3:2 is what would probably be the most common with 6"x4" prints

digital prints have sort of made 4:3 more common with 6"x4.5" prints

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Bah!
    Camera is useless then :( *goes off on rant*
    Are there cameras out there that shoot in normal ratios much like a disposable does? good god /rant

On that note though. Are there sites for printing photos that aren't the usual sizes? I have some prints I want to be exactly as I have em

Stuff like this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Depends on the camera sensor, and print size required, would either crop the photo or could print with border is the aspect was different... wouldn't change the aspect ratio which would distort the picture

for prints 3:2 is what would probably be the most common with 6"x4" prints

digital prints have sort of made 4:3 more common with 6"x4.5" prints

So if I was to order prints. I'd be best going for a 6X4.5 to get the ration correct yea?

I was jus wondering from looking at film prints in comparison and thought to myself wtf is up here.
    See the 3:2 on my cam doesn't specify the resolution either but sure I could look that up anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 30,190 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

congo_90 wrote: »
    So if I was to order prints. I'd be best going for a 6X4.5 to get the ration correct yea?

I was jus wondering from looking at film prints in comparison and thought to myself wtf is up here.
    See the 3:2 on my cam doesn't specify the resolution either but sure I could look that up anyways

Yep, the 3:2 will just crop the pictures inside the camera and cut the resolution a bit
    One of my cameras has
    10 megapixel 4:3 mode
    9 megapixel 3:2 mode
    7 megapixel 1:1 mode

this might explain it better
    http://www.bonusprint.ie/digital_prints.htm?level=0
    http://www.bonusprint.ie/conventional_digital_sizes.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement