Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good 1st car...

• 28-07-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Just wondering if someone could give me an idea of what a good first car would be...Budget around 4-5K..Advice much appreciated...I know its a fairly general query..:)

Comments

micra
    lovely and reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

cant go wrong with a VW golf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Woods Girl

I agree definetly a micra.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Had you had anything in mind in terms of a body shape you liked? Hatch or saloon? What kind of driving do you expect to be doing? In town stuff or maybe covering some long distances also? For 4 or 5k you'd get a lot of car in the modern economy. Is it 4-5k for the car or for car + insurance?
    Many people get hung up on buying small hatches for their first car. micras and yarises and clios and puntos and the like but a medium range hatch or saloon is still something you will be able to get used to quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Woods Girl wrote: »
    I agree definetly a micra.

Thanks for advice.. 6'3 guy not sure if I'd fit in it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

I bought a 10 yr old 1.3 Fiesta Encore to learn in a few years back. It's still going 4 years later (at the grand old age of 14!) and has sailed through all NCT's. Its a 5 door hatchback so decent leg and boot room

Had you had anything in mind in terms of a body shape you liked? Hatch or saloon? What kind of driving do you expect to be doing? In town stuff or maybe covering some long distances also? For 4 or 5k you'd get a lot of car in the modern economy. Is it 4-5k for the car or for car + insurance?
    Many people get hung up on buying small hatches for their first car. micras and yarises and clios and puntos and the like but a medium range hatch or saloon is still something you will be able to get used to quite quickly.

Cheers, 4-5 for car max, maybe less if its right...Driving maybe 2 hours a day..

CorkFenian wrote: »

If you're 6'3" a smaller car like a micra will be uncomfortable over long distances IMO.
    There are mid size hatches that would suit, corollas, astras, focuses all within your price range. Of course if you're an absolute beginner learner then you might want to spend closer to 2-3 grand for a corolla hatch or similar or even less for something you arent worried about getting dinged up but is still pretty reliable.

If you're 6'3" a smaller car like a micra will be uncomfortable over long distances IMO.
    There are mid size hatches that would suit, corollas, astras, focuses all within your price range. Of course if you're an absolute beginner learner then you might want to spend closer to 2-3 grand for a corolla hatch or similar or even less for something you arent worried about getting dinged up but is still pretty reliable.

Thanks for that. What would be pretty reliable and cheap at the price..Total newbie to cars....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bigsock

Get yourself a Micra, Cheap to buy and cheap to run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

Before you buy check out what tax bracket it is in you could find yourself paying several hundred euro on top to tax it ;) and insurance could well screw you on some models too!!!

6'3" isn't a problem in many small hatchbacks like a yaris or fiesta at all, in fact you will find with the seat positioned correctly they have more head room than big saloons, :)

Take a trip to a local second hand car sales yard and sit into a few different models and try them out for size, sit in and depress the clutch pedal a few times and see if you're comfortable

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Get a Corolla, 1.4 or 1.6. Cheap and cheerful, reliable too. Don't bother with the Micra man, you'll look like Hightower in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 puddlestarter

A toyota yaris would be a great first car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

A Nissan Micra is a great choice, they are surprising roomy inside and very easy to drive. Plus they take a lot of punishment. Currently driving my second Micra. They're reliable and don't cost a fortune to tax and insure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Learning and got a micra too. It's blue...all I know about cars...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 larrytom

a nissan almera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Wow...Micra appre3ciation forum much?? :D
    Sorry guys...I hate the Micra. :o I find it the worlds ugliest car (IMO) and my instructors car is one and I hate the gears in it...thay have a real mechanical feel to them.

Drove two differant Yaris cars recently...they are beautiful to drive, a real smooth clutch and gear box. Don't think they are anything special to look at but a really nice drive. Wish I could get one. I hear the same is to be said about most Toyotas...all nice drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cionád wrote: »

+1, very cheap and almost new. And they're supposed to be reliable, cheap to run and insure. Quite large inside, high driving position considering the cars size. For the price, it's a great choice, i'd definitely buy one over the yaris/micra crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

Another for the micra, really love it so small and cute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

Allison91 wrote: »
    Another for the micra, really love it so small and cute.

Perfect for 6'3" bloke.

I reckon go for something a bit bigger, if you are spending two hours driving want something you are comfortable. Go around used car places trying out different cars even if you don't plan buying there.

The other big thing to consider is insurance, probably best not to go bigger than 1.4 for first car as otherwise will be alot. Check out 123.ie and hibernian both give online quotes without having to fill in too much, just to give yourself an idea of the range it will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Another vote for Fiesta here, never had a moment's trouble with it.

While I'm not unusually tall I was concerned about size as well, but they are surprisingly roomy on the inside. Try getting into one and seeing if you're comfortable. if not, time to look for somethin else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

i have a little punto and i love it, really easy to drive and light on petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

1.4 focus, astra, civic. Great cars to drive and bit more room than a micra.

GStormcrow wrote: »
    1.4 focus, astra, civic. Great cars to drive and bit more room than a micra.

That'd be what I'd be looking at too. The hatch models. Or maybe one of those 323F's. Cos I like the look of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Civic/SE/200931194748652/advert?channel=CARS

Something like that. I had one similar for a year and nearly sorry I sold it. Ok power for a 1.4. Good space in it and great to drive.

I imagine you're a young guy. You want something that's cheap to run, looks ok and isn't a Micra/Yaris/equivalent typical learner or OAP car. Those Civics are easy enough to insure.

Mine had nearly twice the miles on not a moments trouble.

Thanks for all the replies...I'm in my 30's and still waiting for first car..Waiting to do test...Cheers...I want to go ahead with some of your recommendations for a year ,18 mths , then get something i want myself like a 01-02 BMW..Thats the plan anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

the ol' peugeot 405 served me well up to now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

A 1.0 litre toyota starlet :D or a 1.3 if your feeling dangerous

Youll pick up a nice one for 3k easy..

oh VW golf is nice is well 1.4l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭jenny4385

hey there bought my first car there out a month ago had a budget of 3-4K like yourself....... got a vw polo 01 and its like its brand new... got it for 3 off a fiat dealer..... loving it... its only a 1.0 so insure and tax are grand.... didnt go over 4k at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

jenny4385 wrote: »
    hey there bought my first car there out a month ago had a budget of 3-4K like yourself....... got a vw polo 01 and its like its brand new... got it for 3 off a fiat dealer..... loving it... its only a 1.0 so insure and tax are grand.... didnt go over 4k at all :)

*is happy for you*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

My first car....Ford Mondeo 1.8 petrol. Not recommended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bean na gaeilge

Stay away from small cars!!!

My first car (which I still have) is an Octavia 1.9TDI ... does around 650 miles to a full tank, only costs around 55 euro to fill it from empty... picked it up for just under 4k - its a 03, gives me no bother at all - only thing is tax is over 500 for the year but I have saved that ten times over on fuel, with full license insurance is only 600.... all my driving experience was on someone elses insurance before this so I was well pleased. My sister just bought one too and swears by it! Nice comfortable car and a very solid car.

Thanks for all the replies...I'm in my 30's and still waiting for first car..Waiting to do test...Cheers...I want to go ahead with some of your recommendations for a year ,18 mths , then get something i want myself like a 01-02 BMW..Thats the plan anyway :D

Just get the beamer seriously.
    Yes it is easier to park a micra, but you won't know any better because your on a learning curve anyways.

I started out with a Passat.
    I wanted as much metal as possible between me and the next world, in the event of an accident.
    It turned out to be a wise choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bean na gaeilge

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I wanted as much metal as possible between me and the next world, in the event of an accident.

Totally agree with the above - never have driven a small car, saw the effects first hand and it really affected me! Strong solid car is the way to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Ford focus, really easy to drive. Tax on mine is €333. My other choice would be a Toyota corolla, I like those too.

Advertisement