Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Upgrade - Some tips

Options
  • 28-07-2009 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, so my current PC has been mucked up for a few months, mainly in that it freezes completely during gaming and other activities, I assumed this was obviously the RAM on the computer so I replaced that quickly enough, but it turns out it wasn't, so I'm fairly sure that it's either the mobo, gfx card, cpu or power supply.

Due to this, I've decided to get these parts all new, I feel it's time for an upgrade anyway as I've had that PC for over 2 years and it probably won't cope with the best games anymore. The problem is I'm on a bit of a budget as I've only finished college and don't have a lot of money right now, so I'd basically be looking at around 500 Euro if possible.

I'm asking for advice because I haven't really followed PCs for the last 2 years and don't really have a clue what the best cards, mobos and CPUs are at the moment, and whether to go for Intel or Amd / Nvidia or ATi.

So here's what I have that I know is working 100%:

Mouse, keyboard, monitor.
    • 3 x HD - 300gb, 300hb, 500gb.
    • Coolermaster PC case
    • DVD RW drive
    • 2 x 2048mb Crucial DDR2 BallistiX PC6400 4096MB CL4

Here's what I have that could be the cause of my PC freezing and probably needs replacing:
    • ABIT Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI,nForce-650i SLI motherboard
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz CPU
    • Point of View GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
    • OCZ StealthXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS, 600W

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the PSU is 90% not the problem, because it's never been damaged or hit or anything, so I'd guess it's the mobo, gfx or processor. However I'm sure the newest GFX cards probably need more than 600W now.

Basically, can people suggest to me good replacements for them for as cheap as possible? Hopefully something that can run upcoming games well for the next 2 - 3 years until I can afford a quality PC :)

Also, if possible I'd like to be able to accomodate the RAM, seeing as I only bought it 4 months ago, so a mobo that supports DDR2 6400 would be a good bonus in order to save cash.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

With the possible exception of the graphics card there isn't really anything too shabby with that PC. Have you dismantled it already? It may be worth working out exactly what's bailed out on you. Exactly when and how does the PC crash? Is it always during gaming? Or at other points? Does it freeze or crash to desktop or just flat-out cycle the power and reboot? Are you sure the problem is hardware?

Unless you're allergic to overclocking I'd like to verify if that CPU is on the "good" list as its still a fine piece of kit, especially when OCd! The graphics card isn't terrible either but sadly it is getting on a bit.

Now, as for the other two... these are the weak links, and if this is a hardware fault one of them is most likely responsible for your woes. Neither is of good pedigree overall. And while graphics cards have most certainly not made 600W PSUs obsolete in mid-range gaming rigs that OCZ is a knockoff Fortron/FSP with known quality and longevity issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Solitaire wrote: »
    With the possible exception of the graphics card there isn't really anything too shabby with that PC. Have you dismantled it already? It may be worth working out exactly what's bailed out on you. Exactly when and how does the PC crash? Is it always during gaming? Or at other points? Does it freeze or crash to desktop or just flat-out cycle the power and reboot? Are you sure the problem is hardware?

Unless you're allergic to overclocking I'd like to verify if that CPU is on the "good" list as its still a fine piece of kit, especially when OCd! The graphics card isn't terrible either but sadly it is getting on a bit.

Now, as for the other two... these are the weak links, and if this is a hardware fault one of them is most likely responsible for your woes. Neither is of good pedigree overall. And while graphics cards have most certainly not made 600W PSUs obsolete in mid-range gaming rigs that OCZ is a knockoff Fortron/FSP with known quality and longevity issues.

Aye I know it's still a good computer but I just thought it was a bit out of date in terms of upgrading and such. Basically the PC just flat out freezes completely and the screen stops on whatever it was on, and I need to reboot from the button. I've had this problem before and it was because of the RAM but in this case it isn't.

It freezes when I'm playing games, and sometimes it freezes if I just leave the PC idle for an extended time period, pain in the arse. I'm fairly sure I'll replace the mobo, gfx card and PSU but I might keep the CPU as it is still good, maybe get a new fan for it and OC it a bit or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

did you check if all the fans are spinning? Mine did it because it was over heating. you probaly did but I thought tell you anyway.

did you check if all the fans are spinning? Mine did it because it was over heating. you probaly did but I thought tell you anyway.

Aye they are, I've used speedfan to check too.

What is your monitor resolution?

If its 1600*1200 or lower this is utter overkill :D

HWVS290709.png

€375 delivered. You can add a second HD4890 later, if you're insan- uh, in need of insane performance :D

If you don't have a 1080p monitor and need to keep to a budget then this may be better

HWVS290709a.png

Over €90 cheaper. Not quite as futureproof though...

There's options in the middle-ground too - HD4870s going cheap for fairly futureproof 1600*1200 (and 1080p if 1GB version) performance, P43 CrossFire if you want to get a second HD4850 in future (very futureproof for 1600*1200, but thirsty)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Can i just ask too, if the op has an anti-virus program?
    Or if you've tried reinstalling the drivers then operating system?

Like have you noticed anything that might be triggering your crashes

Oh believe me I've tried lots of software related things, I reinstalled Vista, then I reinstalled XP, then I tried Ubuntu and it kept occuring.

Now that I think of it, it first occured when I was syncing my iPhone with iTunes. That must have f*cked something up.

Same virus/OS corruption/bent driver attacking three fundamentally different OS? Very unlikely. Aside from certain resilient (read: well-buried!) root/MBR viruses nothing should have survived full reformats anyway :o The iTunes thing is probably coincidence, sounds like a hardware issue in this particular case.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Same virus/OS corruption/bent driver attacking three fundamentally different OS? Very unlikely. Aside from certain resilient (read: well-buried!) root/MBR viruses nothing should have survived full reformats anyway :o The iTunes thing is probably coincidence, sounds like a hardware issue in this particular case.

Aye, I like that first PC thing of yours, though I'll probably go in the middle and get myself a 4870. I might just replace the mobo first to see if that's the problem (cause I reckon it is) and go on from there. I'll probably replace the PSU anyway as well because that OCZ is a bit dodgy, especially if I stick a new GFX card in it.

Oh, and what website is that you're on by the way?

Website is hardwareversand.de - HWVS for short :) Flat rate shipping, best for more expensive purchases owing to the low prices.

Nothing wrong with the middle ground ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement