Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom IQ XL Sat Nav or Garmin 265T ???

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've had 6 sat-navs over the past 4 years and I was most disappointed by the TomTom One I bought earlier in the month. Even with the June maps there was a surprising amount of detail missing compared to my Navigon.

Some Irish POIs were totally wrong and some local (suburban) roads were truncated. Some French roads that have existed since year dot were also missing.

I sold the TomTom and don't expect to be getting one again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The whole idea of TomTom is the ability to correct the POIs yourself.
    If using MapShare only accept changes made by many & trusted sources.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

koolkid wrote: »
    The whole idea of TomTom is the ability to correct the POIs yourself.
    If using MapShare only accept changes made by many & trusted sources.

I know the point of it.

However the POI in question is a large well-established hotel. It shows up fine on other devices .

I pity a tourist who uses their tomtom to navigate to a hotel POI only to find that they are miles away from their destination.

Not every device has everything correct but the last time I saw so many errors was in my first Navman which also used TeleAtlas.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The main obstacle to Mapshare is getting enough people to use it.
    The more people use it the more accurate it will be.
    POIs can also be downloaded from other sources if you want to look around you may find something with less errors.
    If you do you can also share them with others.

Advertisement