Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To sell or to keep...That is the Question

Options
  • 28-07-2009 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

I have a cracking skewbald yearling filly by Cavalier Jump for Joy. I don't really want to sell her, but with another winter of feeding etc, it looks like she should go. I've advertised her and have only had a few idiots calling, (you know the type I mean)

Would it make more sense to hang on until she's a three year old and have her mouthed, lightly backed, etc????

Comments and advice please..... :confused:

Pics for those that would like to suggest a realistic market price.... Maybe I'm being too optomistic!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

What age is she now and what price do u have in mind? Its anyone's guess really, horses are a poor trade now, have being for a while, no telling when it and the rest of the economic climate will pick up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Yearling!!! Born July 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It depends on your situation. I'm not sure how much more another year would add to her value. Plus you run the risk of her getting injured. You'd also have to take into account the cost of keeping her and breaking her.

As mentioned above, horse prices are poor at the moment. I was at a TB sales recently and unbroken 3 year olds were making 300 average. A broken 4yo went for 400. Anything above 500 was a good price. And these horses were decent looking, mostly with clean certs and not badly bred. It was really depressing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Gorteen

That's madness!!! I'd prefer to keep her than sell her for factory money!!! :mad:

If you're near Goresbridge you could visit the monthly sales held there to get an idea of the prices being made. Also, there was a report on the recent Goresbridge sport horse sales in last week's Irish Field. Might be worth reading it and taking a look at the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

There's no market for yearlings. In this country, you sell as foals, three year olds, or under saddle.
    Generally, you'll make the best profit (or incur the least loss) selling as a foal. You've missed that boat, so your next best option is at three, lungeing over a pole. Any more training than that will cost you money and unless the animal is exceptional, it's money you won't see again.

Both Cavan and Goresbridge do run youngstock sales in the autumn, so you could try your luck there. The fact that she is coloured might help her sell.

Chindato wrote: »
    The fact that she is coloured might help her sell.

Just curious as to why this would be a help for selling and why a coloured horse may be more saleable than bay, chestnut, grey horses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

Its true that there is a cult following on coloured horses but I concur its likely you couldn't give her away but try cavan in September have her looking really amazing and put her in the ring you never know she could just be what someone wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

convert wrote: »
    Just curious as to why this would be a help for selling and why a coloured horse may be more saleable than bay, chestnut, grey horses?

Fashion. No other reason. People like to own a flashy horse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

Chindato wrote: »
    Fashion. No other reason. People like to own a flashy horse

i think its each person to their own on this one. Personally i wouldn't call a coloured horse 'flashy'. i've never owned one and i never will. but like i said its what you into. I personally just don't like them.

I would have said that a coloured horse may be looked at more favourably in the sales ring because their temperment is generally very quiet and careful. again just my opinion

i'm sticking to the greys and bays though.

p.s i'm not dissing your yearling at all and i hope i don't come accross like that. She is a lovely yearling and coloured horses or any horse in my opinion are lovely. i just wouldnt' buy one.

• Advertisement

A coloured horse wouldn't be my personal choice either, but there are some lovely coloured horses out there, so I understand why people would buy them.

When I was a child I always wanted a skewbald pony so I could play cowboys and indians!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

You can never beat a chestnut mare! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought a mare today, put her sire into google ( cavalier jump for joy) and age and markings match!!!!

Meant to say when I ran google search this thread come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

No way, that is such a small world!! You got a horse then Marley?? thats great!!

That's bizarre! Such a small world :)

Yes:) She is arriving this wk!!! sooooo excited
    No way, that is such a small world!! You got a horse then Marley?? thats great!!

Advertisement