Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP!! What is this please

• 28-07-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭

Hi , can anyone help me please. There is a circle with a dot on these 2 photos. What are they. Photos taken before and after these shots don't have this mark. Camera is D700 with 70 to 200 lens. I didn't have lens hood attached.
    John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Was it wet out?

Could a rain drop have landed on either the front or rear element?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Are the images cropped? Does the circle move? My guess would have been a water drop on the lens otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Yes Fajitas, there was a hint of rain all right. Maybe front element cos I didn't have lens off. Thanks

Has it appeared on any shots since?

Quackles wrote: »
    Are the images cropped? Does the circle move? My guess would have been a water drop on the lens otherwise.

Hi Quackles, looking at the original uncropped versions and mark is in same place on all photos, maybe Fajitas and your findings are correct. No Fajitas it didn't appear on lots more taken afterwards that day. Thanks

• Advertisement

It's strange alright. You'd think it'd be on more than two photographs.

Tbh, it dosn't look like raindrops I've seen before, but that dosn't mean anything :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Doesnt look like rain to me either although I havent a clue what it could be....

Well my reasoning behind thinking it was on the rear element is it's a lot bigger than a raindrop would appear if on the front element.

Just hope it dosn't happen again, I guess... Otherwise, over to the paranormal forum :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Well my reasoning behind thinking it was on the rear element is it's a lot bigger than a raindrop would appear if on the front element.

Just hope it dosn't happen again, I guess... Otherwise, over to the paranormal forum :pac:

if my reasoning is correct it couldnt be rain unless a tiny arpeture was been used, thus the plain of focus would have been extended from the very front element so anything there would have been in focus, eg raindrop

BUT it would have to be a tiny arpeture eg f32 or more

Sooooo, I dont think its a raindrop, maybe something expermantal in the irish air corps (unlikely, i know) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

It looks like the Ben Sherman logo :pac:

Really difficult to tell whether or not it's a raindrop though.

• Advertisement

landyman wrote: »
    if my reasoning is correct it couldnt be rain unless a tiny arpeture was been used, thus the plain of focus would have been extended from the very front element so anything there would have been in focus, eg raindrop

BUT it would have to be a tiny arpeture eg f32 or more

Sooooo, I dont think its a raindrop, maybe something expermantal in the irish air corps (unlikely, i know) :p

Tbh, if on an auto mode, shooting at the sky, it could have been quite a small aperture. I hadn't thought of that before though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Image properties say f8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

would guess its something on the sensor maybe, you should take a shot at a high apature value eg. f22, pointing at white or light coloured surface, not in focus, to see if it is the sensor, but then given the strange double shape maybe it is something on the lens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Could be a drop of oil from the mirror, seen it on mk3s

Have a look at the left hand corner of this shot at original size and you can see what oil looks like
    38930631AF064A2B87495CA9C6A9ECEA-800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭chezzer

Ouch !!

Is oil easy to clean ? will a wet clean sort it out ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Wet clean will sort it probably better off left to pro cleaners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

OP I've a distant memory of seeing a shape up there before, could it be the sun?

would guess its something on the sensor maybe, you should take a shot at a high apature value eg. f22, pointing at white or light coloured surface, not in focus, to see if it is the sensor, but then given the strange double shape maybe it is something on the lens

Thanks everybody for all your theories. Today I took a look at the sensor and saw what appeared to be a shiny speck on it. Gave it a light blow with a rocket cleaner and it now seems perfect. Funny thing is that it was not on all my photos taken on Sunday. I wonder was it the fact that I was pointing camera in the sky most of the day and a minute particle dropped on to the sensor from inside somewhere !!! All seems well again.
    Thank you all again.
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭chezzer

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Thanks everybody for all your theories. Today I took a look at the sensor and saw what appeared to be a shiny speck on it. Gave it a light blow with a rocket cleaner and it now seems perfect. Funny thing is that it was not on all my photos taken on Sunday. I wonder was it the fact that I was pointing camera in the sky most of the day and a minute particle dropped on to the sensor from inside somewhere !!! All seems well again.
    Thank you all again.
    John

could be that yes ... well it's fixed and that's the main thing !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Aperture makes a difference for things like that sometimes - if you were above f8 or something stuff like that tends to be more visible than at the wider apertures.

I'm glad you found it because speaking from a lot of experience I would swear it definitely wasn't water or anything liquid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement