Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Austen

Options
  • 28-07-2009 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭

Recently, I have picked up my Jane Austen books again, and now can't put it down. Pride and Prejudice being my favourite.

What are your thoughts on her books, and what are your favourites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

I have to say, I always try to read P&P once every year and have done since I first read it aged 17... It's a real feel good book when you're feeling tired of the heavier stuff..

I have to say I adore Northanger Abbey - might just make it my "Bank Holiday Monday in Bed" Book this weekend....:rolleyes: You always pick up something new everytime you read them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭tangerinepuppet

Persuasion is my favourite. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

sup_dude wrote: »
    Recently, I have picked up my Jane Austen books again, and now can't put it down. Pride and Prejudice being my favourite.

What are your thoughts on her books, and what are your favourites?
    Thoughts on her books? Far far too many right at this moment! :) Am currently writing a thesis on her and although she has forever been my favourite author I'm not so sure that our friendship will survive the torture she's currently putting me through!

Ah no but seriously she is great. Pride and Prejudice is my favourite, closely followed by Persuasion <-- amazing amazing book :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tyrocks00

I LOVE JANE AUSTEN.

Oh my gosh she is AMAZING. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite too. I don't care if people say it's overrated, it's beautifully written and I love the 6-hour BBC version of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ally2

Northanger Abbey is one of my favourites, and Persuasion. But I would read them all again in a heartbeat.
    I hate the films of the books though. Colin Firth ruined P&P for me!

• Advertisement

ally2 wrote: »
    Colin Firth ruined P&P for me!
    First person I've ever heard to say that :p

First person I've ever heard to say that :p

I know, he's supposed to be this english gentleman type but I don't find him attractive. Mr Darcy (in my mind) was always more rogueish and a little rough? Maybe I'm thinking of Sean Bean...

Maybe I'm thinking of Sean Bean...

Now that would have been an excellent choice - such a fantastic actor - but more like Mr Wickham I think;)

I think Colin did a fantastic job - my only bug bear? That awkward kiss at the end of it between himself and Jennifer Ehle???? There was zero chemistry!

Now that would have been an excellent choice - such a fantastic actor - but more like Mr Wickham I think;)

He would have been perfect for Mr Wickham!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Colin Firth ruined P&P for me!

Agreed. Ugh. Joe Wright's P&P was much better cast I believe myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Emma is mine :) simple and effective

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

I was in Chapters yesterday and saw "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" on sale - was tempted, but was already buying 4 books so decided to leave it. I'd read a review in the AV Club a while back and couldn't remember if it was good or not. Just checked there, and they gave it an A.

Anyone here read it? Although I'm a heterosexual male, I accidently* read all Jane Austen's novels as a teenager, and I was thinking that reading this would rebalance my macho-ness.

* I was stuck in a foreign country with only the Jane Austen collection as reading matter. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

randomguy wrote: »
    I was in Chapters yesterday and saw "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" on sale - was tempted, but was already buying 4 books so decided to leave it. I'd read a review in the AV Club a while back and couldn't remember if it was good or not. Just checked there, and they gave it an A.

Anyone here read it? Although I'm a heterosexual male, I accidently* read all Jane Austen's novels as a teenager, and I was thinking that reading this would rebalance my macho-ness.

* I was stuck in a foreign country with only the Jane Austen collection as reading matter. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

It's Jane Austen, you don't need an excuse! :)

Actually I have Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on my bookshelf waiting to be read - it was given to me. Not sure what I'll make of it... probably not much. Ya can't improve on Austen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

PP&Z isnt bad... its got ninjas!

Its an almost exact copy of Pride and prejudice (I compared a few passages and they are identical) but then it moves nicely into a zombie fight scene... very very enjoyable if you dont take your classics as sacrosanct.

Yeah, it's 85% original text apparently. Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Anyone here read it?
    I found it funny for the first 20 pages then the joke wore a bit thin. It got to the point where I resented the zombie intrusion and just wanted to read regular P&P.

I love Persuasion. Not sure which I'd class as my favourite Austen but Persuasion would be up there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Emma would have to be my favourite. Mainly because Clueless was based on it:o loosly some might say but it was:)

I read it after seeing clueless when someone pointed out to me that it was based on the book. I loved it.

The film with Gwenyth Paltrow was awful in my opinion. Hate her so it was off to a bad start right away. I was quite excited to hear that the bbc are doing an adaption of Emma to be shown this Autumn. Romola Gari is playing Emma, she's fantastic. She was in the BBC's adaption of Daniel Deronda a few years back and was great in that.

I think as far as Jane Austen novels go, BBC style adaptions are the best way to go. There's always too much to squish into a film.

Did anyone watch Lost In Austen on ITV last year? Basically Amanda, a big Austen fan finds Lizzy Bennet in her bathroom in modern day London, turns out there's a secret passage to the world of P&P behind the bath. Amanda gets trapped in P&P and desperately tries to keep the story on track, which is hard because Darcy can't meet Elizabeth while she's off in London.

Some purists were saying it was outrageous and almost sacreligious, but it was just a bit of a laugh really. I found it very enjoyable and if you're an Austen fan at all it's well worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

I love Northanger Abbey. I see a bit of myself in Catherine the main protagonist. Lots of Austen's best quotes to be found in this novel :)

A woman especially, if she have the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as she can. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

For me it's a tie between Northanger Abbey and Emma. In truth though I love them all and find it very hard to choose.

Somebody I know loves to wind me up by dismissing Austen as the 19th Century equivalent to Marian Keyes/Cathy Kelly. He claims it's just chick-lit and if published today would be panned by literary critics and at best considered along the lines of PS I Love You. :eek:

Obviously I strongly disagree. Whilst I might concede that her appeal is moreso among women, I honestly believe her books are wonderfuly well written and fantastic literature.

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Jane Austen's consistent popularity over the last 200 years is really the measure of her greatness :)

I don't know if her novels would have been dismissed by critics since they received so little attention during her own lifetime!

Poor Jane :(

I love how, in her novels, you can really see her own changing ideas about the world. Northanger Abbey remains one of my favourites because it is so exuberant and is all about a young girl trying to figure out how she is supposed to "read" her world and the people in it. I read it at a time when I was at a similar stage I think :) Then I also love Persuasion because it deals with people who are at a later stage in life and have been wounded in the past. I find it so measured and mature.

Love them, love them, love them all! :D

• Advertisement

Obviously I strongly disagree. Whilst I might concede that her appeal is moreso among women, I honestly believe her books are wonderfuly well written and fantastic literature.

Opinions?

I have been trying to convince my OH to read some Austen just to appreciate why I'm such a devotee. No chance of that so far - however, he has watched the adaptation of Persuasion by the BBC (Ciarán Hinds as Wentworth) and really enjoyed it !!! So perhaps its a good start. I know its not the exact same as appreciating her writing and narrative but it allows a man to get a glimpse of the material which is ultimately very timeless and engaging.. Not at all chick lit!

I don't think it can be compared to "chick lit" for many reasons.

For starters, at the time Jane Austen's books were written, not everyone was literate, so it's not like there was an audience for "chick lit".

Also her books create entire worlds, not just characters and scenarios. I'm re-reading Emma at the moment, and it's just wonderful. I can imagine Highbury as she describes it, and all the characters going about their daily lives, and it's almost as if I'm reading an account of something real, not just a made up story. Plus the love stories in Austens books are so believable and you can't help but root for the characters and all this without the use of smutty Mills and Boon type stuff :)
    I have been trying to convince my OH to read some Austen just to appreciate why I'm such a devotee. No chance of that so far - however, he has watched the adaptation of Persuasion by the BBC (Ciarán Hinds as Wentworth) and really enjoyed it !!! So perhaps its a good start. I know its not the exact same as appreciating her writing and narrative but it allows a man to get a glimpse of the material which is ultimately very timeless and engaging.. Not at all chick lit!

That's probably the best you can hope for from most men I'm afraid. It's better than nothing though. The BBC are doing a new adaption of Emma this Autumn, which I'm very very excited about. Make sure your OH watches that :)

The BBC are doing a new adaption of Emma this Autumn, which I'm very very excited about. Make sure your OH watches that :)

Yes! I can't wait to see it - I think the BBC are the most faithful to the books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Avenuegirl

My favourites are definitely Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion.
    Pride and Prejudice is the ideal romance; it's unrealistic and everything winds up so perefectly that's it's the best book to read when you need to be cheered up!
    I love Persuasion for its realism and depiction of love. Life is far from perfect for Anne (unlike the secure Elizabeth with her supreme confidence) - she is ignored, taken for granted, overlooked and the only person who really understands her is Wentworth. What makes it so unique is the idea of an enduring love even after they have both made mistakes and hurt each other. It doesn't lack Austen's trademark wit and satire either - Sir Walter is hilarious!
    I like Northanger Abbey too but I find it concentrates so much more on comedy and satire rather than romance and characterisation.

Yes! I can't wait to see it - I think the BBC are the most faithful to the books

Yay!!! :D

I'm very excited about this. ITV did an adaption back in '96 or there abouts, and they had Kate Beckinsale, brown haired and all as Emma. I could be wrong but I'm sure she's supposed to be blonde.
    Don't get me started on Paltrow in the "hollywood" film version. :mad:

Romola Garai will be Emma in this new one. I am a big fan of hers and think she is the perfect Emma. Having seen a short trailer for it I think most of the characters seem perfectly cast. It all looks like it should be rather good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

First off, hello literature forum :-)
    For me it's a tie between Northanger Abbey and Emma. In truth though I love them all and find it very hard to choose.

Somebody I know loves to wind me up by dismissing Austen as the 19th Century equivalent to Marian Keyes/Cathy Kelly. He claims it's just chick-lit and if published today would be panned by literary critics and at best considered along the lines of PS I Love You. :eek:

Opinions?

I've read Emma (as part of leaving cert, so read it maybe 5 times) and I've also read Pride and Prejudice.

I would tend to come down on the side of the person mentioned.
    I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, but I don't really see what the big deal is with Austen. I'd be curious to hear some reasoned opinion on this.

I suspect that a lot of people argue that the books are very good, because they like the books a lot. That's a different claim from whether or not they are essentially like 'chick lit'.

I'd criticise the books on the basis that they are very light, pander to the reader, are unreal, and that the characters lack complexity and realism. When criticising the book, I'd not be making allowances for the times in which it was written.

I think Austen writes well, her scenes are well done, and some of her dialogue is very good.

Its the characterisation and plot I mainly take issue with.
    The characters are very one dimensional. They are simple. Their minds are only in one state at a time. Their worldviews are limited and small.

Austens seems to view people not so much as autonomous, self governing agents, but instead as puppets of the social roles they inhabit. She's obsessed with social compliance and fitting into your place. Its all very structured, and artificial. There's no hint of the animal, the irrational, the passionate, about her characters; everyone can be neatly divided into either 'good' or 'bad' boxes, and its all very simple.

That's not how people are now, and not how the world works now, and it wasn't then either. None of the characters in her books don't fit into her understanding of the world, and her taxonomy of people. I think author shouldn't be able to understand all of each of her characters.

I don't know, I haven't studied english, so perhaps I'm not explaining myself properly. Be curious to hear what other people think about this.

Just to address one or two of the other points made: I wouldnt say popularity, even lasting popularity is a good measure of greatness.
    I also wouldnt at all say the material is timeless. For example, if you gave it to most people (not rich people) at the time it was published, it would be very irrelevant to them; I'd say its concerned with society and specific social niceties that don't translate well across social classes or times. The concerns and motivations of the charactes in Austen are mostly concerns you'd have if you were rich and idle, or very concerned with social status, or with marrying well... ...if you want to contrast this, with, for example, Hamlet, which I also read in leaving cert, where he's wrestling with sanity and reality, life and death, mortality - those are much more timeless themes.

Anyway, don't lynch me, instead try explain to me why I'm mistaken :-)

Well it's too late at night for my brain to respond to any of that, I'll look at it again tomorrow.

For now though I will say that I find the term "chick lit" slightly offensive. Especially when you look at the type of books that are classified as such. It implies that all "chicks" read is trashy romance novels.

There should be another name for these kind of books.

I suppose the fact that Austens books are predominantley love stories, and are all told from the heroines point of view, not the hero's would suggest they are aimed at women, not men.

I think what I'm trying to say is that "chick lit" has such negative connatations attached to it that of course it seems wrong to apply it to some of the "classics" like Austens books.

Anyway, I'll look again at what you said and see what I think then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Well it's too late at night for my brain to respond to any of that, I'll look at it again tomorrow.

For now though I will say that I find the term "chick lit" slightly offensive. Especially when you look at the type of books that are classified as such. It implies that all "chicks" read is trashy romance novels.

Potential thread derailment here :-)

Just to duck and cover a bit first, I'll point out here I only used the term because the poster I replied to did, and I quoted it. I note you also used it yourself.

If we were to be very correct about these things, statements such as:
    That's probably the best you can hope for from most men I'm afraid. It's better than nothing though.
    might also be a little suspect!

I think its fairly widely agreed that there is a certain genre of relatively light, predictable, safe, light romance/relationship stories, which are primarily consumed by women.
    The term generally in use for this genre does seem to be 'chick-lit' (Wikipedia has a chick-lit article, for example)

There should be another name for these kind of books.
    Perhaps there should indeed.

Where you say:
    It implies that all "chicks" read is trashy romance novels.
    is where I think it gets interesting.

I think theres a certain subtlety to that statement. The genre could be called 'chick-lit' merely because it is mostly read by women. Just because something is mostly read by women does not mean its mostly what women read.

For comparison, 'the ladies lounge' forum name should not imply women are not supposed to post on other parts of boards. Nor should the 'feminine hygiene' section in the supermarket be construed as implying that all the hygiene products women use are contained within; nor as to exclude women from buying products such as toothpaste or facecloths found in the general hygiene section.
    There's a certain ambiguity to how we name classes of things like that.

But certainly, if the genre name 'chick-lit' was taken to mean not that the books within were mainly read by women, but instead that women were to read mostly the books of that genre, then I could see how it would be offensive.
    Similarly, 'guys magazines' etc.

You could also discuss whether simply referring to a women as 'chicks' is offensive.

Anyway, I'll be happy to continue to use the term here, subject to the provisos outlined, in that its attempting to label a genre, and not to be prescriptive, or bad, or offensive.
    Equally, I'll be just as happy to use a suitable substitute, should you care to suggest one?
    I suppose the fact that Austens books are predominantley love stories, and are all told from the heroines point of view, not the hero's would suggest they are aimed at women, not men.

Well, there's a lot of assumptions there.
    I couldn't tell you whether Austen aimed her books at women or men, but I'm sure someone who studied her could.

I guess I'm not so concerned with what the author aimed for, as with what the result is; specifically with what the result is, as compared with modern books. I think it'd got a lot of the same elements, and flaws, as books that would commonly be categorised as 'chick lit' today.

I think what I'm trying to say is that "chick lit" has such negative connatations attached to it that of course it seems wrong to apply it to some of the "classics" like Austens books.

I think that's sort of 'begging the question' - in other words, assuming what it is that is under discussion - circular logic.

Certainly, if the books are classics, then they probably shouldnt be thought of as in the 'chick-lit' genre.

I'm kind of wondering whether the books deserve to be considered 'classics', in the sense of whether they are good enough to deserve that label. (not in the sense of whether they are old).

Perhaps the books aren't very good, or aren't very much better than modern examples of the genre, certainly when considered in terms of their plot and characters. If that was the case, then maybe they shouldnt really be considered classics at all, but just older 'chick-lit'.

Anyway, I'll look again at what you said and see what I think then.

Great, thanks. I'd be delighted to hear reasons why you think the books are so much better than modern chick lit, and specifically what you think of the plot, and characters; even better if you can make reference to the criticisms I posted, and tell me why what I said doesn't make sense.

I'm genuinely coming from the point of view where I'd like to see what people think is good about the books, beyond that they find them enjoyable - I very much enjoy Harry Potter, and could see it being popular years from now - but I don't think its a classic.

First off, wow, there's lot to think about it this one and I'm reading it over and over. I'll try to do your post justice in my response.
    fergalr wrote: »

I'd criticise the books on the basis that they are very light, pander to the reader, are unreal, and that the characters lack complexity and realism. When criticising the book, I'd not be making allowances for the times in which it was written.

You really do have to take into account the times in which a particular novel is written- when you say you're not making allowances it seems that you are saying that an Austen novel has to be compared with a novel of similar material published today. All literature is shaped by the author's universe in which they lived, the era they belonged to. Austen belonged to a Georgian era, women had a "place" in society but yet she gained a degree of respect from all sexes by writing witty, descriptive stories, popular with men and women alike so perhaps that in itself dispels the "chick lit". I can't agree with your opinion that they are unreal - they are very real in that they present a vivid social snapshot of the time she lived in, social etiquette and conformities. Every writer has a niche and I think Austen's was in brilliant social commentary.When you say they are light - perhaps there you may a point. But then her niche was not in Thomas Hardy's style or Dicken's snapshot of a dark Victorian England. Austen was 21 when she wrote Pride and Prejudice - and a lot was probably based on her observances of all the drama going on around her. At that age, priority number 1 was more than likely in finding a suitable husband. I'm not diminishing her, its just the way it was.
    Its the characterisation and plot I mainly take issue with.
    The characters are very one dimensional. They are simple. Their minds are only in one state at a time. Their worldviews are limited and small

I think you may have missed her point here - many of her characters lacked depth inherently, they were shallow, snobby, with no humanity or benevolance but she relished in bringing them and their petty concerns to life in her books.
    Austens seems to view people not so much as autonomous, self governing agents, but instead as puppets of the social roles they inhabit. She's obsessed with social compliance and fitting into your place. Its all very structured, and artificial.

Again, that's the society of England at the time! It was about status, elevation and conforming to norms and etiquette. It was not Austen's doing - she was merely documenting the little bubble in which people lived.

That's not how people are now, and not how the world works now, and it wasn't then either.

I'm afraid that is how the world worked at the time - most especially for women it was suffocatingly restrictive at the time. Austen herself was blessed to find a publisher who would take her seriously. The Bronte sisters had to publish their works under a masculine sounding name! Perhaps, that's why the books are more popular today with women? Because they show us the role women were forced into so different from the semi-equality we have today. Of course the world doesn't work exactly like that now - but we still box people the way they were boxed back then and there is still that social snobbery.
    Just to address one or two of the other points made: I wouldnt say popularity, even lasting popularity is a good measure of greatness.
    I also wouldnt at all say the material is timeless. For example, if you gave it to most people (not rich people) at the time it was published, it would be very irrelevant to them; I'd say its concerned with society and specific social niceties that don't translate well across social classes or times

Perhaps I should clarify my statement in an earlier post - the material is timeless in that it themes of love, disappointment, friendship, marriage, family that run through the novels enable the stories to remain timeless. These are themes that our childrens childrens children will be contemplating when we are long in the grave! The novels themselves are really a painting of a time long gone - for me I get a huge amount of pleasure from reading them because it allows me briefly to feel immersed in an era that I will never belong to and as a history buff it's heaven. It's like when you stare at a painting in a museum - for a few minutes you are transported back to that moment in time when the artist was completing his masterpiece, you stare at the brush strokes and you feel part of it. Sounds fluffy I know, but that's how I feel when I read "classics". They are classics not only because people have related to their stories, which although may be light, allow us back to that time. It's why they have endured - people are innately fascinated with history and times long gone perhaps because we are trying to escape briefly from our even more superficial world of today. For me as a woman, I sometimes envy the ladies caged yet simple life when I think of the weight on our shoulders today.
    Anyway, don't lynch me, instead try explain to me why I'm mistaken :-)

No lynching at all will be necessary :)- your post was a very thought provoking one and I need a good strong cuppa after my reply because my brain cells are fried!

PS: If you are looking for something less light than you felt Austen was, please try Hardy's Victorian classics. Again universal themes but very dark, very tragic, fate chasing you down and all that. Be warned though when you read Hardy you'll need a good dose of Austen's charm and humour to cheer you up.:D;)

• Advertisement

Right, I've decided I don't care either way, call them chick lit, call them classics, call them whatever you like.

I like them.

I'm not dismissing what you're saying. You may well be right, you may well be wrong.

I always felt literature, like most art, is a matter of personal opinion. Analysing and disecting everything is not my cup of tea at all.

Advertisement