Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reseeding

• 28-07-2009 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭

I am hoping to get a bit of ground reseeded in the next few weeks. The plan is to spray it, power harrow it and seed it. I was just wondering could I spread farm yard manure on it before doing it. Its been in a slurry pit since last winter. Would it burn the seed if it came in contact with it. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

If you are putting dung on the land, i world suggest ploughing it, and powerharrowing it, or discing it, or harrow dung in. Then hit it with the power harrow and seed. Usually you need to break up the dung and mix it with the soil. I have never seen dung being put out on unploughed land and then powerharrowed in with seed. Maybe someone else has experience in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I've seen guys spray the land (with round-up) and leave it a couple of weeks. Then they spread the slurry/dung on and ploughed it in. Then came the harrowing and re-seeding.

Does dung promote the growth of docs in someway. Or other weeds? Thats the last thing ya want in a newly sown field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I know that spreading slurry on a recently reseeded field will kill the seedlings as a neighbour of mine tried it a few years ago. If you are spreading slurry you should cultivate it well into the soil before seeding. If you are spreading FYM you need to plough it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 scaniaman

I spread slurry on before the power harrow this year had no prob with it
    Dung if well broken up might be ok. You'd want a good undersown spray
    after it though I'd say you could have a weed problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭fred432

Thanks for the help lads. I was trying to save a bit of grass by getting the dung spread and the reseeding done on the same ground. Ploughing would be a bit of extra work bringing up stones. Maybe I might find another corner for the dung.
    Might be too much of a risk to the seed without ploughing if the dung got to the seeds. Some of the ground is very prone to water logging with very few stones and more of it is dry with the rock just inches below the surface.
    Thanks as well for the reminders about the weeds from dung. Every year I see the effects!!
    To be honest I think the grass management is the key to a profit (which I might see at some stage) but there is also another good thread there on reseeding and between everyone here we should be adding stories about successes or failures on the grazing management front which would be a great help to everyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement