Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tent Purchase

Options
  • 28-07-2009 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hey all, I'm going to buy a tent. I'm looking for a tent that will comfortably house myself, and maybe someone else. I'll be using it for backpacking, and will be walking a fair bit, so probably under 4/5kg. I want it to hold the gear and us, and I'm not keen on being face to face with my mate when I'm trying to sleep! ( a tad uncomfortable :p). I'm not looking to put seperate beds in or anything but I was think maybe a 3 man, or 4 man tent. I won't be using it all that much, maybe once every few months... so maybe 150 euro? So would the Vango Spectre 300 suit my needs? I'll probably be sticking to Ireland with it too, so our kind of climate for the moment. I can't find a huge amount of info on it! ANyone got any advice or anything to add? anything would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Huxoin

Anyone? Gonna be buyin' soon! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

That Vango tent seems grand for Irish climes. I always bivvy in Ireland, so any tent should be warm enough. Look for taped seams, and if you're in a physical shop, look at the quality of the seams. Double or triple stiching is a must, as is a seperate flysheet.

The specs on the Spectre 300 show that, at 1.8m wide, it's definitely a 2 man tent, at least if you want any space between you.

Thanks for the reply, I might give that a go. I'll head over to 53 degrees north and see if have it out! Thanks

Hey again, I'm re-thinking this now, as weight may be an issue. Is the Coleman Avior X3 any good? I've done a bit of research but looking for some ppl with experience! THanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

have you tried e bay massive selection on that, halfords beside 53 degrees in carrickmines might do you, if your in town try the places in capel street and bargin with them, tell them you want a tent sleeping bags cookers the whole works n see what each shop can do for you, great outdoors aswell, imo 53degress is expensive,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Vango are a well respected brand. Never heard many complaints about them. Stuff like North Face and Marmot are the mutt's nuts, but far too pricey unless you're climbing in the Alps mid winter.
    Robens are apparently decent (Capel Camping stock them) and Coleman make some decent tents too.
    As long as it has taped seams and decent stitching, the quality of your other kit (sleeping bag, mat, inner bag) will do more to dictate the comfort of your trip than the tent. If it stays up and doesn't leak, the other stuff will be the difference.

ronn wrote: »
    have you tried e bay massive selection on that, halfords beside 53 degrees in carrickmines might do you, if your in town try the places in capel street and bargin with them, tell them you want a tent sleeping bags cookers the whole works n see what each shop can do for you, great outdoors aswell, imo 53degress is expensive,

Ok thanks! I haven't had a chance to look in 53 degrees north anyway, I'm thinking online might be better value! But.... If I am in town i'll bear that in mind!
    il gatto wrote: »
    Vango are a well respected brand. Never heard many complaints about them. Stuff like North Face and Marmot are the mutt's nuts, but far too pricey unless you're climbing in the Alps mid winter.
    Robens are apparently decent (Capel Camping stock them) and Coleman make some decent tents too.
    As long as it has taped seams and decent stitching, the quality of your other kit (sleeping bag, mat, inner bag) will do more to dictate the comfort of your trip than the tent. If it stays up and doesn't leak, the other stuff will be the difference.

I see what ya mean! Well I think from looking at the different tents, most of them will offer those things, like the taped seams and ventilation and everything. I have everything else, it's all comfortable! It's just the tent that I've been sharing with different people!

Well thanks to all of you! I'll be buying it soon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

My two pence - the Vango Spirit 200 and 300 + models are fine tents for wilderness backpacking. Very light and stable in harsh conditions whilst not reaching the dizzying prices of other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Where do ye go for online gear???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Where do ye go for online gear???

It depends what you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement