Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fogged up double glazing window

Options
  • 29-07-2009 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have two double glazing windows in the kitchen on either side. One window is fine but the other is constantly fogged up between the panes. Any idea on why this is occurring and how it can be cleared, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Happynappy wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have two double glazing windows in the kitchen on either side. One window is fine but the other is constantly fogged up between the panes. Any idea on why this is occurring and how it can be cleared, thanks.

The seal between the panes has failed or been damaged so the vaccum is gone and the air has gotten in. With temperature changes you get condensation leading to the misting/beading you see on the window.

You will have to replace the double glazing for that window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 larrytom

Anyway of reasealing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Not as far as I know.

The two panes are vacum sealed at the factory so the only thing to do is replace the glass.

If the window is timber you should be able to pull out the timber beading holding the pane in, and if it is pvc/aluminium there will be rubber running around the inside of the window that you can pull out and take the glass out.

You can drop the new section in and you can reseat the rubber/timber beading.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Happynappy

doubtfir3 wrote: »
    Not as far as I know.

The two panes are vacum sealed at the factory so the only thing to do is replace the glass.

If the window is timber you should be able to pull out the timber beading holding the pane in, and if it is pvc/aluminium there will be rubber running around the inside of the window that you can pull out and take the glass out.

You can drop the new section in and you can reseat the rubber/timber beading.

Thanks for the reply. The frame is PVC but the glass looks to extend in behind the frame, I'm not sure that removing the rubber alone will free it up, but I guess the window company will install it too if I decide to replace it.
    IMG_1033-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Setanta71

Here is a link to an Irish company that can repair fogging up between the panes of glass without having to remove them. It´s fast, clean and guaranteed. A tiny hole is drilled in the bottom corner with a special drill and the glass is cleared of moisture and a valve is installed to fix the problem. The best thing is it is only about half the cost of replacing the unit and is done in no time. They leave no signs of even done anything except the tiny valve which is transparent anyway. I´ve seen it done at the RDS Ideal Home EXPO.
    Hope this helps.
    http://www.defogwindows.ie/new%20web.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Happynappy

Setanta71 wrote: »
    Here is a link to an Irish company that can repair fogging up between the panes of glass without having to remove them. It´s fast, clean and guaranteed. A tiny hole is drilled in the bottom corner with a special drill and the glass is cleared of moisture and a valve is installed to fix the problem. The best thing is it is only about half the cost of replacing the unit and is done in no time. They leave no signs of even done anything except the tiny valve which is transparent anyway. I´ve seen it done at the RDS Ideal Home EXPO.
    Hope this helps.
    http://www.defogwindows.ie/new%20web.html

Just what I need, thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

My brother is a glazer. He is re sealing mine. He said its actually quite easy. He has being doing it for years. He said its not 100% guaranteed but he has never had a failure... He just knows the stats...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Happynappy after you get a quote if you could post the price im very interested to see the cost they are charging for this service as im not convinced this even works well or is even much cheaper cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

iv just done a bit of research on this way of defogging d/g units and in my 15 years glazing i reckon it,s b/s after they are done you still have streak,s on the inside of glass and in the USA were this system was designed it can take 30-90 days to clear and thats in there heat not Irish heat my god it could take 6-9 months here read the f.a.q on there site it states can not remove all marks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Removing the rubber on the inside wont help. there might be clips that fold/pull/hinge out on the outside to remove the doubleglazing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Utter B0110ks- the panes are not separated by a vacuum, they are separated by pressurised gas. This gas acts as an insulator. If your panes are fogged, the seal between the panes is broken and the gas has escaped and water has ingressed. Can not be repaired. Dont care who comes on and tells me I'm wrong, I'm not. You can't re-gass it because the seal is broken and the new gas will also leak out. The repair is to get a reputable glazing company to supply a new double glazed unit-glass only. This can be set into your existing frame and the jobs oxo. (Valves me hole-Snake-oil.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 paul.

1 post. 1 number hmmmm!!..........very suspicious:p

Advertisement