Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favre Not Returning, Chooses to stay retired.

• 29-07-2009 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭

NFL.com

ESPN

In a way I wanted him to come back, just so we could sack him twice a year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

He will always be a legend in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Good move, Brett.

I guarantee you the ghost of Vince Lombardi came to him in a dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Good move, I think.

The thread title could also read "Favre out for 2009"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

He's still throwing, its just the usual from Farve. He'll be back by week 1 imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Good news for TJ. Probably would have been cut if Favre returned.

Feel sorry for those Vikings fans who actually were silly enough to buy a Favre jersey:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I am laughing so hard that I am in tears at the moment.

The Ego has dangled the carrot in front of another bunch of asses and they followed it all the way into Training Camp.

Priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I was watching PTI a few weeks ago, and they compared Lance Armstrong to Brett Favre - 37 years old, out of the sport for 4 years, smashed collar bone before the event, and he comes third -- and yet it's considered a failure. It was a derogatory piece BTW.

There's a weirdness about sport's commentators, and fans, in the United States; as if the superficial is more important than the reality. Peyton Manning is a pretty good example -- he's the reason I watch Football -- yet somehow cos he's only got one ring, he's got less kudo's than guys who have, statistically, been not remotely in his league. Apparently Drew brees is a better QB now?:eek::confused::eek::confused:

But my point is this: Favre was not the worst QB in the league last year -- not even close -- and ironically, two QB's who were both worse than him, are fighting for the starter's position at the Vikes. So to even consider the Vikes being better off without favre is, in my book, tantamount to insanity. The guy would have been one of the best 10 QB's in the league - easily. And that some people are using his last few games against him, even though it's clear he was injured.... AND, even though he had better stats than Manning in the first six or so games of the season, are little more than haters TBQH!!!

Personally gutted he won't be back, in the same way that if you offered me a 90% Joe montana, or LT (version 1), I'd accept them with open arms.

/2c

Edit: And a team with Favre and Peterson, in what is a classy Franchise .... seriously, who doesn't want that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

davyjose wrote: »

There's a weirdness about sport's commentators, and fans, in the United States; as if the superficial is more important than the reality. Peyton Manning is a pretty good example -- he's the reason I watch Football -- yet somehow cos he's only got one ring, he's got less kudo's than guys who have, statistically, been not remotely in his league. Apparently Drew brees is a better QB now?:eek::confused::eek::confused:

Totally agree with everything you said and this bit funny you say it alot of people stateside seem to say this. What league are they watching? Drew is nowhere near the level Manning and Brady are. Im die hard Patriots and I have every respect for Manning and truly believe that they are too close to each other to even compare their greatness. The difference of the rings has nothing to do with their abilities. Brady was on a better team than the colts all 3 times. The saints throw the football a hell of a lot more than the Colts so using stats to make the arguments fails in my opinion.
    davyjose wrote: »
    Edit: And a team with Favre and Peterson, in what is a classy Franchise .... seriously, who doesn't want that?

I love the whole Brett Favre thing as I have said many times. And what an offense the Vikes would have had with Favre there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Totally agree with everything you said and this bit funny you say it alot of people stateside seem to say this. What league are they watching? Drew is nowhere near the level Manning and Brady are. Im die hard Patriots and I have every respect for Manning and truly believe that they are too close to each other to even compare their greatness. The difference of the rings has nothing to do with their abilities. Brady was on a better team than the colts all 3 times. The saints throw the football a hell of a lot more than the Colts so using stats to make the arguments fails in my opinion.

I love the whole Brett Favre thing as I have said many times. And what an offense the Vikes would have had with Favre there.

Like I said, I'm a Colts fan because of Manning, but i agree, there is no seperating the two. Two legends of the game playing together -- Icons. just like Favre. And you know what, if Brady has a sub-standard season, or the Colts miss the play-offs, watch the US media sharpen their claws on those guys. There really is very little respect, founded on ignorance IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

He'll come back - he just doesnt want to go to training camp! Its Brett Favre ffs, i wont believe he's not playing till week one comes and hes not on the vikes roster. :D I hope he gives it another go, the man is a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

disappointed about this, though it was inevitable, i think. How much fun would it have been to see Favre in a purple uniform playing Green Bay twice a year? Worth a Sky subscription for just those two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I was hoping he would come back just because the two Vikings v Packers games would have been great box office.

Advertisement