Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduation Day

• 29-07-2009 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

So the time has come and the parents have begun talking about graduation. I'm aware that each student gets 2 tickets for guests and that this cannot be increased due to the amount of people. That's fine as my brother can hang around or do whatever. However, they have decided that my 90 year old granny has to come for reasons unknown to me and so I'm wondering what to do with her so to speak while the actual ceremony is on!? Personally, I don't think its a good idea to bring her to UL as there's so much walking around involved but they aren't taking no for an answer or that she meets us for the meal after as she's have no way of getting there. So basically I'm just wondering what people do in this situation, can't leave her sitting in the car for 3 hours and I don't think an afternoon in the stables would be up her alley! Need to think of something to get the parents off my back! :rolleyes::)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

You might be able to pick up an extra ticket on the day.....although it's not a certainty that she'll be able to sit beside your parents. Seriously I'd try to explain to them again if necessary and hammer home that point that you only get two tickets and anything else is going to be a gamble as to where the person ends up sitting if you manage to get an extra ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Graduation is on in FG061...just let her loose on the National Self Portrait Collection for 2 hours...she won't even need to leave the building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 playingpirate

when i went to my brothers graduation ( about 10 years ago) they showed the graduation in the small lecture room beside the concert hall, so you could find out if they still do that?
    she could watch the whole ceremony from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

When do we get the tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Could you get her a wheelchair for the day, take the weight of her feet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

When do we get the tickets?

To quote from the SAA website:
    The tickets will be issued to graduating students early in August and will be mailed to the Current Address we have for you on the Student Record System.

More Information here: http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Student_Affairs/Student_Administration/Student_Academic_Administration/Graduations/Invitations

Actually, while I think of it, people graduating have to book their grad robes in advance online. See here for more details:
    http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Student_Affairs/Student_Administration/Student_Academic_Administration/Graduations/Academic_Robes

Typical of UL, that no email is sent to inform students of this! :mad:

Make sure you do this if not already done. It costs €32 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Mossin wrote: »
    Actually, while I think of it, people graduating have to book their grad robes in advance online. See here for more details:
    http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Student_Affairs/Student_Administration/Student_Academic_Administration/Graduations/Academic_Robes

**** dude.... thanks.... so would have been caught out there .... totally forgot!:eek::eek:

You will not be permitted to enter the Concert Hall to graduate if you are not wearing robes....just to clarify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

ninty9er wrote: »
    You will not be permitted to enter the Concert Hall to graduate if you are not wearing robes....just to clarify.

To add on that... Despite what the people giving the robes say, girls do not have to wear the mortarboard if they choose not to. They are only given to female graduands, not males, but, ladies, you do not have to wear them. You will still graduate if you're not wearing it!

Personally, I chose not to because, although it is traditional, it is imposed in a sexist manner at UL. I would've worn it had it been compulsory or optional for both sexes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Sorry to intrude on this thread but I've got another question about Grad day... is there a dress code? I know in other colleges its 'black and white' only but does this apply in UL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Mossin wrote: »

I picked up mine on the day, got my photo taken with the guy who kitted me out even... :D Also, I never paid for it! I figured it would be paid for when I returned as I wasn't asked for any payment initially. When I handed it back I hung on a bit, but the person taking them said 'that's it'.... So I was home free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

To add on that... Despite what the people giving the robes say, girls do not have to wear the mortarboard if they choose not to. They are only given to female graduands, not males, but, ladies, you do not have to wear them. You will still graduate if you're not wearing it!

Personally, I chose not to because, although it is traditional, it is imposed in a sexist manner at UL. I would've worn it had it been compulsory or optional for both sexes.

+1 on this. I don't plan to wear my hat and nobody understands why.

FYI, the mortarboard signifies that the female students are 'capping off' their education as it's only the men folk who go on to further education while the women stay at home and feed the babies. It's an outdated and sexist tradition and I strongly believe the mortarboard should be abolished or made optional for both men and women.

ergonomics wrote: »
    +1 on this. I don't plan to wear my hat and nobody understands why.

FYI, the mortarboard signifies that the female students are 'capping off' their education as it's only the men folk who go on to further education while the women stay at home and feed the babies.
    Ain't that the truth:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bluerain

that may be true..but it still looks well in the photos..plus saves you from having to put too much effort into a hair do. Main thing on graduation day- wear shoes you can actually walk in!!! The fear of falling on front of the whole concert hall is not worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

So hang on a min.....

does that mean that I won't have a hat to throw in the air at the end of the ceremony!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Jesus!!!!! Maybe I watch too many American films but I was looking forward to flinging it away!!!

Ergo.... seen as we have both been the victims of some serious sexism.... can i like throw you hat away..... you don't even want it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I was actually going to offer you my hat since you want one so bad. Come to my grad and you can throw my hat in the air, no problemo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

bluerain wrote: »
    that may be true..but it still looks well in the photos..plus saves you from having to put too much effort into a hair do. Main thing on graduation day- wear shoes you can actually walk in!!! The fear of falling on front of the whole concert hall is not worth it!
    Oh absolutely, it's up to you entirely whether you want to wear it or not - that's what I'm trying to emphasise - that you don't have to though, if you don't want to, despite what the little old dears spoof off.
    DJCR wrote: »
    So hang on a min.....

does that mean that I won't have a hat to throw in the air at the end of the ceremony!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Jesus!!!!! Maybe I watch too many American films but I was looking forward to flinging it away!!!

Ergo.... seen as we have both been the victims of some serious sexism.... can i like throw you hat away..... you don't even want it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    ergonomics wrote: »
    I was actually going to offer you my hat since you want one so bad. Come to my grad and you can throw my hat in the air, no problemo.

Eh, I'm really sorry, but there's no real official hat-throwing-in-the-air-ceremony at graduation... And since none of the girls in my class wore them, we couldn't do it ourselves outside afterwards either :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

hello from sydney!
    my mum text the other day to say my graduation tickets arrived in the post....

but alas i wont be there, kinda sad now.....when they call my name and nobody goes up it'll be weird!!

enjoy class of 2009, missing U.L already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

Where would anyone recommend to go for dinner after the graduation? Is there a traditional spot?

• Advertisement

timbertime wrote: »
    Where would anyone recommend to go for dinner after the graduation? Is there a traditional spot?

Kilmurray Lodge, Carlton Castletroy Park Hotel, Finnegan's, castle oaks in castleconnell, texas steak out....just a few places to note...

There is a list of places sent out with the grad tickets too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 youlickmagee

amybabes wrote: »
    hello from sydney!
    my mum text the other day to say my graduation tickets arrived in the post....

but alas i wont be there, kinda sad now.....when they call my name and nobody goes up it'll be weird!!

enjoy class of 2009, missing U.L already!!

Your name will not be called, as you will not be present for lining up and that is when the names are recorded for the VPA&R to call out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dotti_bunker

whats the story during the ceremony, do any students speak or is it all the head fellas before the bits of paper are handed out??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

hey im just ordering my robe now.. just wondering where it says time of graduation did yee put the actual time..like im graduating at 3.15 but we have to be robed and in there by 2.00..so just wondering what time people put down. the actual time of ceremony or the time you have to be ready by? im a little confused.

Advertisement