Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CV for PhD application

Options
  • 29-07-2009 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

I'm looking into applying for a PhD and most places want a CV, as well as an application form. I don't really know why they want a CV, it doesn't really seem relevant to me. I haven't worked that much, just some retail and office jobs, which has nothing to do with the PhD. I would put research interests etc on it, but theres a section for all that stuff on the application form. Does anyone know what kind of things they're looking for on a CV in this case? And how important is it in terms of being accepted?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

If it's a funded PhD you're applying for then of course they would want to see your CV before agreeing to fork out loads of money over a few years!

I applied for one this year and got it.
    I put my education stuff first with a detailed breakdown of individual module results for my MA as these are relevant to my proposed area of study.

Next I put my work experience.
    I have a years research experience so that was handy. I also put down work experience doing TEFL teaching. Just as if applying for a job - emphasize your skills eg organisational ability, communication skills etc

Finally I put my research interests and skills.
    Don't worry if you don't have much work experience. Try to make the most of what you have. Keep the CV simple and professional - you don't need to include sections like aims etc
    It won't have a huge baring on your application - your research proposal and prior academic record are what counts. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

Well I can put the skills in, but all educational details and research all have to be filled in on the application form, so I'd only be repeating myself. There's even a section for hobbies, so there would be nearly nothing unique in my cv.

Advertisement