Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric oven gas hob how close ??

Options
  • 29-07-2009 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi everybody im about to move into a new a new apartment (new build) and i've bought a double under counter electric oven and a gas hob which i plan to put above it, my question is how close can the gas inflow pipe come to the oven casing at the back of the oven/bottom of the hob. The dimensions i have at the moment say it will be about 5cm away any advice ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

Hi everybody im about to move into a new a new apartment (new build) and i've bought a double under counter electric oven and a gas hob which i plan to put above it, my question is how close can the gas inflow pipe come to the oven casing at the back of the oven/bottom of the hob. The dimensions i have at the moment say it will be about 5cm away any advice ?

Theres just enough room and no more for the gas pipe behind the oven, its difficult to put the lever valve in as well, the lever valve has to go on before the appliance. Might have to notch out some of the mdf as the pipe enters the hob. I've seen people cut out the plaster board behind the oven to allow for the pipe. Never had to resort to that.

Behind the oven is not hot, its insulated, once no excessive force or strain is put on the gas pipe its OK to have behind the oven.

Your not allowed to work on natural gas unless you have been issued the certificates by bord gas which give you the right to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dr nick riviera

Theres just enough room and no more for the gas pipe behind the oven, its difficult to put the lever valve in as well, the lever valve has to go on before the appliance. Might have to notch out some of the mdf as the pipe enters the hob. I've seen people cut out the plaster board behind the oven to allow for the pipe. Never had to resort to that.

Behind the oven is not hot, its insulated, once no excessive force or strain is put on the gas pipe its OK to have behind the oven.

Your not allowed to work on natural gas unless you have been issued the certificates by bord gas which give you the right to do so.
    thanks, wont be going near the gas fitting myself ill leave that to the professionals !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

It wont be a problem Unles they have changed the gas regulations again. You the consumer have to have access to the supply incase the hob generates a leak so what plumbers are doing now in line with correct procedure is actually branching the gas line into the back of the press either side of the oven. This gives you no problem as the gas line can be dropped to the floor and ran up the back of the press. It also means that you wont have to worry about the size of the oven.

Traditionally plumbers were fitting a small lever isolation valve. This new legislation allows them fit a standard lever isolation valve which is a lot easier to use.

A lot of plumbers are still not using lever valves at all. This is not the correct procedure so avoid it but if you are put in that way once you know where your main shut off valve is and have the key it should not be a problem. Not an idea situation though

Advertisement