Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wedding djs list o songs

Options
  • 29-07-2009 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

just wanting to know about great songs that could get anyone moving at a wedding

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

theres no set list as it depends on the crowd.

but if everyones happy go lucky (resurrect popular songs from when the happy couple were in their mid/late teens and early 20s....chances are that the crowd will mainly be the same age and will have listened to the same music...it'll bring back memories for them)

anyone in early/mid 30s will appreciate or hate.....
    jump around - house of pain,
    500 miles - the proclaimers
    cant think of any others

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭niallo76

thanks for that,i got a call from a friend wondering would i do the dj ing at a cousins wedding-they want a lot of soul and motown-i have plenty of this-they dont want the usual ABBA,Amarillo,YMCA nonsense,but do you just start playing fela kuti and dub reggae or just keep it swinging with the likes if stevie wonder,beatles,acdc,eagles of death metal??????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Ska is your friend here!

Dj-ing at weddings is a hell of a lot harder than it looks!

For one thing, half the tunes you'll be playing will be three minute pop songs, so you'll be fiddlling around with the controls all night, even though you won't have to beatmatch anything or do any actual mixing, so make sure you have your tunes well categorised and ordered well, you're lost otherwise

Madness, The Specials, Marvin Gaye, Human League, Fela Kuti, Minnie Ripperton, some classic old house tunes, the likes of Mr Fingers "Can You Feel It", proper oldschool block party hip hop "white lines", "rappers delight" etc, old New Jack Swing stuff - "No Diggity", any Madonna from the 80's, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Pet Shop Boys - all of those are certified wedding bangers... Chuck in a few Pixies tunes and you're sorted too... It might seem weird too but a lot of those old UK Garage tracks, especially the ones with chick vocals go down really well too...

thanks for the help-but im out of luck with the ska im afraid-as i was told this wouldnt be their style(i tried to explain that you gotta cater for everyone at the wedding not just the bride and groom)-but nevertheless im gonna sneak in a couple of skatalites,so i got plenty of motown,and jump stuff like louis prima,count basie etc,sure i suppose i wont know until i get their and suss out the crowd,but i have a cd with some crowd pleasers(sex on fire,valerie,i kissed a girl,baggy trousers,move on up)but who knows-i said why didnt he just plug in an ipod if he wanted to pick his own songs-but i aint gonna complain if he wants to pay me to play stevie wonder??
    anyway thanks again,i let you know how i get on

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

Use this list

http://www.discjockeys.com/top_200.php

Your arse should be well covered with all the songs on there.

Just see what works on the night, you will know what'll work once your playing.

Start off with mellow stuff and build it up as you go along. Play your stuff in groups, like play 4 or 5 songs of a certain genre or decade then switch it up a little. Toward the end of the night start throwing out all the big ones and you'll have them all going mad, unless they're all in Zimmer Frames :P

And always remember...

You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time!
    ;)

• Advertisement

thanks a million for this i may steer clear of the Brry Manilows though-but thank you all for all ya help-as you said i wont know til i see the crowd and if they dont dance to 'louie louie'im packing up and going home

No bother at all dude, there's some terrible aul sh1te on that list I know. I try my best to play the ones that I like and I know that the crowd will like - nothing more annoying than playing tunes you don't like! Like, where's the sense in that :P

The bride and groom will probs give you loads of tunes to play, hopefully they'll be tunes that will have everyone going mad altogether and sometimes they won't, and they may be 1,000 times better than the sh1te your playing to keep everyone dancing. Don't forget the reception is not just for the bride and groom but for everyone, and it's your job to have them all up on there dancing feet.

Therefore if they are adamant you play all their songs off their list, just discuss with them that if it's not working (everyone is out having a smoke and sitting down and tumble weeds are rolling across the dance floor) would it be ok to revert back to your good trusty self to select what's gonna work! That leaves everyone at ease and will no doubt be a recipe for a cracker of a night!

Also here's an updated list of 200 tunes to keep ya busy, Barry has escaped this list too :D

http://www.mobilebeat.com/top-200/

Gawd bless the t'interweb!

aye too true-thanks again for the list-tis true what ya say about keeping the whole crowd happy-gotta download some Big TOM and we be sorted
    ta very much

niallo76 wrote: »
    aye too true-thanks again for the list-tis true what ya say about keeping the whole crowd happy-gotta download some Big TOM and we be sorted
    ta very much

No problem Niallo! What set-up are you using? Sure let us know how you get on!

Hope you have a great night! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Sir Duke wouldn't be out of place at any occasion...

• Advertisement
Advertisement