Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from R&R for being 'personal'

Options
  • 29-07-2009 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭

Dear Moderators,

I was recently banned for being, in the view of the mod, Almightycushion, too personal against a poster. I admit to counter ranting, but that did not influence my ban, as it was solely the sentence

to quote it:
    Fair play to him. Bit of a legend..... This thread should be about you and your sad reaction to what most people would see as geniune, harmless comedy.

The part 'you and your sad reaction' is the same meaning as 'your sad reaction' in my eyes, although the wording is misleading.

So, what is your view.... Am I guilty of being abusive and personal for taking a stance against such reaction from the OP? I dont think its personal. If I had written... your a retard for thinking that, then id accept it, but I feel this is different.

Anyways, id like to hear your views, thats why I came here.

I will post the pm conversation too,
    Hi Miles Hissing Soreness,

You have been banned from Ranting & Raving for the following duration:

7 Day(s)

for the following reason:

Trolling/abusive.

Providing your ban is not permanent, it will be lifted automatically after 7 Day(s). You will get an automatic message informing you that the ban is lifted. If you do not receive this message after the alloted time, please PM a moderator to clarify.
    Also, please be aware that an abusive response to this automated message may result in an extension of your ban, or in extreme cases, being banned from the entire site.

Thanks,

Forum Moderator.

Ive gotten enough bans in the past, but in fairness..... I dont see how I was being abusive. By pointing out that this person is a rather sour character, am I being abusive? What did you see as abuse?

Well firstly it's against the rant which isn't allowed but that wasn't why I banned you. You got quite personal and called her sad. You could have gotten your point across (you shouldn't have because there is no going against the rant) without getting personal.

I said her reaction was sad. Although since I cant see my post, did I write 'you are a sad person'...? Any chance you could quote me on that one.... I must be mistaken

Also, counter-rant does not really warrant a ban straight away does it? usually the mod hints first dont they?

Here's the quote:
    Fair play to him. Bit of a legend..... This thread should be about you and your sad reaction to what most people would see as geniune, harmless comedy.

I remember being on a bus before, there were too old fellas sittin beside each other... they were heading to the same gig as me so obviously they were mad hatters in their day, but now about 70 odd. I remember them whispering to each other about women in the vicinity.... it was hilarious. But yeah, you wouldnt see the funny side to it, as your an Irish women.
    If you want to read the forum you can log out and view the forum no problems. Like I said above I didn't ban you for going against the rant. Also while we don't ban for that at the moment there is nothing stopping us from doing it in the future. That's not a threat now just a sort of friendly reminder. :) If we notice our warnings aren't being listened to then going in with straight bans for going against the rant would be the next step.

While you didn't specifically call her sad you still got too personal for my liking. It's like saying to someone "what an idiotic viewpoint". Technically you haven't called them an idiot but it is still getting personal when it isn't needed.
    t's like saying to someone "what an idiotic viewpoint". Technically you haven't called them an idiot
    your sad reaction to what most people would see as geniune, harmless comedy

I see that as much the same. All I can think of is that you took exception to the 'Irish woman' part. If your a woman, ill understand, irrationality and all.....

Also, I dont think any other mod would have banned me straight up. I would have gotten a warning, as ive gotten a few in the past. So basically, you took it personally? Or were you partial to the poster in some way or another?

Its NOT getting personal.

So having opposite opinions on viewpoints of a person ultimately translates to me being hostile to the person themselves?

Im going to ask you this question, to which I want an honest answer. Are you female? If so ill understand.... ive been in enough debates over the years with women where the 'personal' card has been pulled from nowhere.

So then ill understand, and ill go..... my unwanted opinions only reinforced....

Nope I'm a guy. If you want you can start a thread in the help desk and ask the admins to review the ban. If they think I was too harsh or that the ban is unfair then I'll review it in line with their thoughts.

Cheers, ill do that so.
    Cool. Just to let you know you have full permission to post up our pm conversation. The admins are a little wary of people posting up pm conversations unless both parties consent to it prior.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I see no reason to overrule the cat mod.

Would I have banned you for that? no.

But I am not going to overrule him based on what I would do. The cat mod is free to reconsider the length of ban, and I would urge them to do so.

Other than that, I am not going to start micro managing mods.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It's wilfully insulting and against the charter to post like that. Get with the rant or do not post. Says it in the charter, on the stickies and I've been pointing it out to so many posters over the past few weeks that it has made my fingers bleed.
    This guy just wanted to turn the thread around to abuse bronte for a while in a place where people are supposed to be free to rant. I would have banned for it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

thank you, I hope the mod will heed your suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I've been pointing it out to so many posters over the past few weeks that it has made my fingers bleed.

So im not alone in counter-ranting as you would say. Have the mods discussed this overall problem? Personally, I dont see why counter-rants should be allowed.... If someone posts something, and people are only allowed to agree, well isnt the forum somewhat pointless?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I think you will find its a 'rant' forum, and not a 'debate' forum.

i dont get it myself, and guess what, I dont use it. But if I were going to use it, I would stay within the bounds of the charter.
    I sugget you do the same in future.

As I said, unless the mods wish to change their stance, I am not going to change it for them. its their forum, its their responsibility, and you were banned for breaking the forum charter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement