Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Groups of friends

• 29-07-2009 2:02am

doesn't work so well having more than one as far as i can see. bring out a really sound canadian lad tonight who gets started on by one of my friends who's hammered. pretty bad so i walk home. everything very awkward.

i'm sitting here thinking i'm not gonna introduce anyone new to this group of friends again which is such a bad buzz but seems like the only option.

how in the hell does it work in ireland? (and doyler, get an account already..)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

what the hell are you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

doesn't work so well having more than one as far as i can see. bring out a really sound canadian lad tonight who gets started on my one of my friends who's hammered. pretty bad so i walk home. everything very awkward.

i'm sitting here thinking i'm not gonna introduce anyone new to this group of friends again which is such a bad buzz but seems like the only option.

heehehehehehehehahahahahahaahahahahahehehehahahahohohohohhoho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I think he means that if you have a few sets of friends that you shouldn't introduce one set of friends to another set. It'll only cause trouble.

And OP, yeah, I've noticed the same. It can work but it usually doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I think he means that if you have a few sets of friends that you shouldn't introduce one set of friends to another set. It'll only cause trouble.

i should have specified..
    "how in the hell does it work in ireland? (and doyler, get an account already..) "

what does ireland have to do with it? i do agree somewhat though, my group of friends from college and group of friends from home are a bit...different. im sure theyd all get along, but i think it would take a while. no real opportunity for it to happen though

ya got it in one.. pretty annoyin tho that most of ireland are in closed circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

heehehehehehehehahahahahahaahahahahahehehehahahahohohohohhoho

This is the only time i will agree with this reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

doesn't work so well having more than one as far as i can see. bring out a really sound canadian lad tonight who gets started on my one of my friends who's hammered. pretty bad so i walk home. everything very awkward.

Misread this the first time round. That someone you know would get aggressive with another friend of yours, a guest of yours, kinda just has ARSEHOLE written all over it.

i know certain groups don't mix well, but the above is unacceptable. I just wouldn't hang out with someone like that. BAD form.

yea that's what i needed to hear.. anyways it's done now, learnt my lesson on mixing it up with old friends. bs.!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Make them fight to the death to earn your friendship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

CHD wrote: »
    Make them fight to the death to earn your friendship.

...he can then put up a video and blow by blow account on his fascinating blog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I have several different groups of friends. I would never not ask anyone out because they are from different groups, and if they don't get along it's their own problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

doesn't work so well having more than one as far as i can see. bring out a really sound canadian lad tonight who gets started on by one of my friends who's hammered. pretty bad so i walk home. everything very awkward.

While I agree that some groups of friends can be on a different wave length to others, I think you are over-looking a bigger problem about last night. Your friend started on this guy, and it wasn't very cool at all tbph. I feel sorry for the Canadian guy to be stuck in a situation like that.

You need to speak to your Canadian friend first and foremost, and apologise profusely for the crap last night. Then I'd go and have some very strong words with the guy who started on him, his actions were those of a scumbag to put it lightly. It only takes one twat to ruin everyones night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I've never had problems mixing friends but then again i dont hang around with dickheads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Abigayle wrote: »
    It only takes one twat to ruin everyones night.

Or make it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

if your Canadian mate rings D4 hotels and Failte Ireland and tell them about his bad experience in Ireland with Irish People they'll put him up for free in a penthouse and give him a wedge of cash just cos.

I heard it happened to some texans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. My metal friends and non-metal friends know each other, but I can't see them chilling in the same room together. No aggro, but just a case of: why would they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

OP just out curiousity, are your old friends educated? This makes a difference because if they've gone through the whole 'third level experience' then they're less likely to be as aggressive to anyone new to the group.

El Siglo wrote: »
    OP just out curiousity, are your old friends educated? This makes a difference because if they've gone through the whole 'third level experience' then they're less likely to be as aggressive to anyone new to the group.
    What a crock of shít!! You are trying to tell us that people who have taken part in third level education are less violent, and less likely to attack someone? I'd call troll except you're around long enough to know better, and I actually think you believe that crap.

Don't be ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oh yeah some one who went to uni has never kicked seven shades of crap out of anyone?? \guffaw\ :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

davyjose wrote: »
    Misread this the first time round. That someone you know would get aggressive with another friend of yours, a guest of yours, kinda just has ARSEHOLE written all over it.

i know certain groups don't mix well, but the above is unacceptable. I just wouldn't hang out with someone like that. BAD form.

Aye, get some new friends who don't start on newcomers for no reason... Problem solved!

Quazzie wrote: »
    What a crock of shít!! You are trying to tell us that people who have taken part in third level education are less violent, and less likely to attack someone? I'd call troll except you're around long enough to know better, and I actually think you believe that crap.

I should have explained better, did the exact same thing as op, when after I went to college I brought one of the lads to my home town, ended up in a big fight for no reason except my school friend (who started the sh*t) said 'that lad's a stuck up c*nt' and the person he was refering to was anything but stuck up. It's not a matter of education, it's experience (and isn't college not a form of 'experience?), and from what I've found people who've left home, etc... done all that 'independence' sh*te are less like to be aggressive to 'outsiders' than the knobs who don't, hence the 'educated' thing, but this has happened to loads of people that I know whenever they introduce college friends or whatever to their other friends and it's always one knob to start a row who hasn't left home etc...

Oh yeah some one who went to uni has never kicked seven shades of crap out of anyone?? \guffaw\ :rolleyes:

Not that I've ever seen, I've yet to meet somebody who's gone off and in this case gone to college who have beaten up people etc... it's always been the arse hole who's never left home or is just a scum bag in general, has issues or something that tends to start sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

And, if you're a prospective 3rd level student, you can kick the shite out of some one, and have the trial after your college years.

(This of course only applied to 'good people')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭bakkiesbotha

Is that all you ever say?

You don't seem to have any arguments to disprove him.

Of course educated, well-off people are less violent than uneducated poor people. This is so incredibly obvious that it beggars belief that anyone could challenge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Of course educated, well-off people are less violent than uneducated poor people. This is so incredibly obvious that it beggars belief that anyone could challenge it.

What planet are you living on?

I should have explained better, did the exact same thing as op, when after I went to college I brought one of the lads to my home town, ended up in a big fight for no reason except my school friend (who started the sh*t) said 'that lad's a stuck up c*nt' and the person he was refering to was anything but stuck up. It's not a matter of education, it's experience (and isn't college not a form of 'experience?), and from what I've found people who've left home, etc... done all that 'independence' sh*te are less like to be aggressive to 'outsiders' than the knobs who don't, hence the 'educated' thing, but this has happened to loads of people that I know whenever they introduce college friends or whatever to their other friends and it's always one knob to start a row who hasn't left home etc...

While 'Life experiences' and living independantly change some people, it isn't always the case for others. But that is irrelevant. It is more to do with your perception of right and wrong and maturity. Those are traits that are either there, or they are not.

Aren't we lucky we never hear of colelge educated students going around campus with semi-automatics blowing the heads off anyone they meet.

Oops my bad, there aer plenty of examples of that. :confused:

LINK;)

What planet are you living on?

We're all living on the same planet, silly!

The right-on point of view here is to accept that poverty and lack of education cause criminality and to protest the causes of social exclusion, rather than to deny the undeniable.

• Advertisement

The right-on point of view here is to accept that poverty and lack of education cause criminality

Oh christ.

Aren't we lucky we never hear of colelge educated students going around campus with semi-automatics blowing the heads off anyone they meet.

Oops my bad, there aer plenty of examples of that. :confused:

LINK;)

Yes, there are plenty of examples of that.

But there are many more - hundreds of times more - examples of poor, uneducated people committing acts of senseless violence.

Like starting a fight with someone because they look different to them, or talk differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

We're all living on the same planet, silly!

The right-on point of view here is to accept that poverty and lack of education cause criminality and to protest the causes of social exclusion, rather than to deny the undeniable.

No! Criminals cause criminality. I am from a very poor working class background. And hearing this PC bull**** crap trotted out everytime some scumbag acts like a scumbag really pisses me off. I come from the same background and so do most of my friends. Neither I or they have ever been in trouble with the law or caused any trouble for others. What's the difference between me and the scumbag who grew up on the same street? I learned to consider the consequences of my actions and care about others. Education or money had nothing to do with it, good parenting had everything to do with it. Just because I was poor I didn't see that as an excuse or reason to become a criminal.

Yes, there are plenty of examples of that.

But there are many more - hundreds of times more - examples of poor, uneducated people committing acts of senseless violence.

Like starting a fight with someone because they look different to them, or talk differently.
    Its probably appropriate to the ratio of educated:uneducated. I seriously doubt the ratios are disproportionate.

tman wrote: »
    Aye, get some new friends who don't start on newcomers for no reason... Problem solved!

they're the newcomers ;)

No! Criminals cause criminality. I am from a very poor working class background. And hearing this PC bull**** crap trotted out everytime some scumbag acts like a scumbag really pisses me off. I come from the same background and so do most of my friends. Neither I or they have ever been in trouble with the law or caused any trouble for others. What's the difference between me and the scumbag who grew up on the same street? I learned to consider the consequences of my actions and care about others. Education or money had nothing to do with it, good parenting had everything to do with it. Just because I was poor I didn't see that as an excuse or reason to become a criminal.

I wasn't stating this point of view as representative of my own views. The right-on posters were fluffing their lines, by denying something that even the slightest glance at any violent crime statistics will tell you. I was just providing them with a bit of a prompt.

Of course scumbags are scumbags. I even suspect that there might be a discrete gene pool that they are drawn from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Your joking right??
    You HAVE to be joking! what a ridiculously ignorant/naive thing to say! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Im in a situation similar to the op except it hasn't happened yet. Im bringing a friend from dublin to my grad (debs) at the end of the summer. Im really anxious that she might feel arkward around my friends and i just hope the night goes well!

I wasn't stating this point of view as representative of my own views. The right-on posters were fluffing their lines, by denying something that even the slightest glance at any violent crime statistics will tell you. I was just providing them with a bit of a prompt.

Of course scumbags are scumbags. I even suspect that there might be a discrete gene pool that they are drawn from.

I understood that, my post was directed at the attitude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Kiera wrote: »
    I've never had problems mixing friends but then again i dont hang around with dickheads.

Brillant, sums it all up really. Sets of friends are not the issue, its the fact you hang around with someone who thinks its ok to get hammered and start on strangers is what would be worrying me.

Brillant, sums it all up really. Sets of friends are not the issue, its the fact you hang around with someone who thinks its ok to get hammered and start on strangers is what would be worrying me.

true. but i've never seen this lad like this in 4 years.. just unfortunate really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Please people, observe the sign:

Sign

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

This happens to one of my friends. He has a group of friends from back home that i find to be complete arseholes. Despite numerous attempts to try and get on with them, they just made no effort on their part so it just aint going to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

the_syco wrote: »
    Meh. My metal friends and non-metal friends know each other, but I can't see them chilling in the same room together. No aggro, but just a case of: why would they?

That's what I don't get about metal heads...it's the only genre that seems to have this exclusivity/clique-ness.

/off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Cianos wrote: »
    That's what I don't get about metal heads...it's the only genre that seems to have this exclusivity/clique-ness.

/off topic

It's 'cos anyone who listens to genres of music other than metal are a sub-species of humanity and should not be fraternised with.

I haven't really noticed groups of my friends not getting on, I think it really comes down to personalities and individuals not gelling so to speak.

Imo OP, you're friend was a complete twat for starting on your other friend, or on anyone really for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Well said Slow Motion .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

true. but i've never seen this lad like this in 4 years.. just unfortunate really.

I can kind of see your point, I have a very good friend who is the nicest guy in the world without drink, but once he starts he tends to get overdrunk and then changes personaility. the bottom line is we don;t go out awith him anymore. Its for his own good really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

i don't know ads by google this guy who started on him sounds like a stand up guy. these canadians coming over here taking all our jobs and our women who they think they are? its a pity we dont have more people like him in our pubs.
    And anyway whose to say that Canadian didn't start on him?:mad::)

PS jean claude van ham wouln't fit in the username space hence Kevin bacon.
    by the way he probably feels no remorse because he cant remember it.

i don't know ads by google this guy who started on him sounds like a stand up guy. these canadians coming over here taking all our jobs and our women who they think they are? its a pity we dont have more people like him in our pubs.

Not to mention eating our swans, we should tell them all to get the foook ooot eh!

(and doyler, get an account already..)

nice lol :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Not the popular opinion but... you've hit the nail on the head there.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement