Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brit bashing in Connemara

Options
  • 29-07-2009 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Howdy folks.
    Can you help me tire out some eager Englishmen?

I've recently returned to living in Galway City after a twenty year absence and I have some friends of mine from London coming west to visit me toward the end of August.

These outdoorsy lads have often heard me talk about my childhod memories of hillwalking in Connemara, south Mayo and the islands, so now they want to see the place for themselves.

I know the area well, but I am a bit rusty so I'm seeking your advice.

Basically I'm looking for any suggestions for routes for one/two day hikes in Connemara including an overnigtnight (maybe two - weather permitting) camp in the backcountry.

We're all fit, experienced walkers with a good smattering of campcraft between us. Besides a thirst for pints, the lads also want to conquer a decent hill if possible. I've been up Mweelrea several times over he past few months but the weather keeps forcing me back everytime, therefore I consider it a challenge. However I haven't really spotted any decent sites for a camp on my excursions (beginning from the east side - layby at Doolough) so maybe someone might have a suggestion?

Beside Mweelrea are there any other areas you might recommend for a two/three day trek? I'm open to Clare, Galway and Mayo. It doesn't have to be a circuit as I can arrange a lift to collect us at destination.

Thanks in advance for your ideas, and if we take one up I'll get back to you with a review/report.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I'm partial to Achill Island myself. Scenary is stunning, few good pubs around Keel/Dooagh, campsite nearby (if you intend to get p1ssed) loads of wide open hills and mountains. Imagine settling down with a fresh mug of tea near Achill Head, watching the sun going down (last place in Europe, bar maybe Iceland) and looking back along the cliffs to the lookout post at Keem.
    And you can try and find the crashed bomber up in the mountains (it's near the reservoir).
    http://www.mayoholidays.com/Gallery/Gallery.htm
    Loads of photos on Google Earth too. I'm sure you've been, being a Galwegian, but just a reminder:)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Ben Gorm is a decent day's walk, and it's close to Lenanne for post-walk pints.

The Devil's Mother is also close by and is not as difficult - perhaps for day #2.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,259 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

the glencoaghan horseshoe is a classic walk in the 12 bens in connemara, its pretty long,could definitley do it in a day but if you want to make it less strenuous you could most likely camp up there somewhere. I can also vouch for achill too :)

The nephin beag range in mayo is also nice too, a bit more remote than the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Hacketry

Thanks folks.
    I'm going to get the maps out this afternoon and have a look at your suggestions.
    I've camped on Achill before near Keel but I didn't know there's an old bomber up on the hill - sounds intriguing.

Has anyone done much walking and camping on Inis Mór? Can you recommend any good spots for a camp? (Bar the 'campsite'.)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Hacketry wrote: »
    Thanks folks.
    I'm going to get the maps out this afternoon and have a look at your suggestions.
    I've camped on Achill before near Keel but I didn't know there's an old bomber up on the hill - sounds intriguing.

Has anyone done much walking and camping on Inis Mór? Can you recommend any good spots for a camp? (Bar the 'campsite'.)

Thanks.

The bomber crashed a few years afetr the war, when in use as a weather plane by the R.A.F. Travellers removed the aluminium in the 50's or 60's by using donkeys, so all that's left are the massive engines, embedded in the hillside. Head for Keem and take a right past the waterworks. At the reservoir, head around the southern shore, climb the steep section to a bowl under the main slope of the mountain. The engines are distributed in that area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement