Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time travel!

• 29-07-2009 2:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭

Where and when would you go?

what event did you not see that you wish you had?

you only get one trip backwards in time and back to the present day, so make the most of it!

id go back to bethlahem on christmas eve 2009 years ago and prove all the catholics wrong!

ive just realised thats only proving one religion wrong, but its a start.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'd go back to austria in the 1930's and pay lots of different people to buy hitlers paintings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I'm not going anywhen without my microwave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭sparky360

i'd make a note of the winning numbers for the euromillon draw the week before Delores won it. then i'd go back and beat her to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I'd be in the room with my mam when she died.
    /she was afraid of dying alone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

ottostreet wrote: »
    id go back to bethlahem on christmas eve 2009 years ago and prove all the catholics wrong!

Yes but you find this hot chick called Mary and give her one. She feeds her husband some crap about it being a miracle and gives birth to a child. That child is Jesus.

Hey presto you are the cause of christianity.You obviously know nothing about temperal physics!

Egg on your face!

• Advertisement

i'd make a note of the winning numbers for the euromillon draw the week before Delores won it. then i'd go back beat her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Grimes wrote: »
    Yes but you find this hot chick called Mary and give her one. She feeds her husband some crap about it being a miracle and gives birth to a child. That child is Jesus.

Hey presto you are the cause of christianity.You obviously know nothing about temperal physics!

Egg on your face!

well...actually...(assuming the story is true)if i went back to bethlahem, id find mary there with joseph and the three wise men and all that jazz, already heavily pregnant and about to give birth to jesus. after all, i said id go back to christmas eve 2009 years ago..mary wouldnt normally be in bethlahem, she was only there cos she was pregnant and decided to follow a star for the laugh.

so...egg and your face....are in alignment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I d go back and shoot Marx and Engels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I'd go back to when you were starting this thread and stop you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Where and when would you go?

what event did you not see that you wish you had?

you only get one trip backwards in time and back to the present day, so make the most of it!

I'd like to have been able to tell Aodh Mór Ó Néill on 24 March 1603 that Elizabeth had died and not to surrender as he did without knowing this fact on 31 March 1603. I would also have liked to show him the financial state of the English crown and how his war was almost bankrupting them.

Failing all of that, I'd like to personally have been at Kinsale on 3 January 1602 to shoot the Catholic clergy and Aodh Rua Ó Dónaill, have told the Spanish not to surrender because more Spanish were on the way, made sure Ó Néill and the Spanish were singing from the same hymn sheet, and made sure they all knew that the English were dying in huge numbers from dysentery and attacking them at that point would only have helped them.

So close, so very close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

I would have gone back to Beal na Blath in 1922 and told Michael Collins to duck. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    I d go back and shoot Marx and Engels.

and I'd take care of the leaders of Fianna Fáil and all the Irish banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Prob go back to the 1950's america and put all my worldly possessions on a bet for a Black American President in 08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I would have gone back to Beal na Blath in 1922 and told Michael Collins to duck. :o

I'd have happily shot Judas Collins.

Sell-out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Your problem here would be that you'd be going back to the year Jesus died. So not a lot would have been happening in Bethlehem right around then. You could probably have found an inn to stay in though at least. :pac:

well...actually...(assuming the story is true)if i went back to bethlahem, id find mary there with joseph and the three wise men and all that jazz, already heavily pregnant and about to give birth to jesus. after all, i said id go back to christmas eve 2009 years ago..mary wouldnt normally be in bethlahem, she was only there cos she was pregnant and decided to follow a star for the laugh.

so...egg and your face....are in alignment!

Ah yes but considering that time travel is such a new technology you cant be garunteed that you have not arrived 9 months in advance of your programmed date due to the lack of calenders and iphones during the period. A 9 month window of error is acceptable when going back 2000 or so years.

Therefore you arrive in the Holy Land and follow some rich looking wise men to a back street tavern where, expecting to find the birth of Jesus, you instead come across a brothel frequented by various affluent men of the time.

On realising your mistake you decide to make the most of this prehistoric debauchery by getting down with one of the local flouseys.

That local flousey was Mary, who for obvious reasons is keeping her second form of income secret from her husband Joesph. It is well documented that they had no money and you cant live on sandals and fake beards. Incidentally Mary is working in Bethlhem rather than her home town of Jerusalem as she does not want Joseph or indeed those pesky gossipy wives of his carpenter co-workers to get wind of it.

Then

BAM you get a message by Roman Royal Mail that shes pregnant. Nine months later your running a small B&B in Bethlehem and an oddly familiar looking pregnant woman and bloke with a cart made by obviosuly sub par carpentry skills come looking for a place to stay but due to the annual convention for the People Popular Front you have no rooms

Which leads into the story concerning you which I posted in the past that happens in the immediate future of my timeline which incidently is the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Id grab a hold of Helen of Troy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

I'd go back to 735..
    oh thats interesting...
    this evening.
    Oh thats int..
    Cause i forgot to do the lotto..:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Go back to my younger self and implore myself to even ride the fat ones because when you get older you cannot morally touch girls that young so ride fat ones and ugly ones while you can.

Possibly bring back an almanac of the future sporting wines and become some type of Biffo carachter.

http://www.jhallman.com/bttfprops/images/stories/props/p2_almanac.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

So hang on a sec?
    Is this time travel a once off thing and do you get to go back to your original time or are stuck there?
    If the latter screw that...I'm off to the future where they can cure short-sightedness, receding hairlines and knock 2 stone off you with a magic pill.
    Then become the most famous history teacher ever and teach all the young ones about how Fianna Fail were the biggest **** ever and basically blew the Celtic Tiger away.
    Plus get to see what boards.ie looks like in 2200.
    They'll probably be still threads like "robot taxi-drivers are dicks" on AH :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    They'll probably be still threads like "robot taxi-drivers are dicks" on AH :p

Do u know what !?! there probably will!! lol:D

Advertisement