Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a fake nail in my ice cream!

Options
  • 29-07-2009 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I recently bought a tub of HB ice cream, only to discover a fake nail while eating it! I rang them about this and then posted it to them along with a strongly worded letter, and a couple of days ago i got a response that I wasnt really happy with.
    I was given 12 euro worth of vouchers for HB which arent much use to me since i refuse to eat any of their products since, and i told them that in my letter. Im not looking for a big pay out here or anything like that but what should i do?
    If i had just found the nail i probably wouldnt have bothered doing anything about it all but its the fact it was dark when i was eating the ice cream and i didnt notice it til it was actually inside my mouth that makes me want to follow this up. So anybody got any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I was given 12 euro worth of vouchers for HB which arent much use to me since i refuse to eat any of their products since, and i told them that in my letter. Im not looking for a big pay out here

being honest, it sounds like you kind of are. You found a foreign object in a product, it's not nice, but it happens. By letting them know, you are alerting them to the situation, and hopefully they'll make sure it won't happen again - as much as humanly possible. They've apologised, i take it, and they've made a gesture to you.

Are you saying that if they gave you, say €100, that help you forget the incident better than €12 worth of vouchers would? What is it you want from them? It sounds from your post that you're looking to see how much you should expect.
    that but what should i do?

Just don't buy HB anymore if you don't want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

For all HB (Unilever Coprporation) know, you could have placed the nail there. Do you have proof that the nail was in the ice cream? - were there an independent witness? - did you come to any harm? etc etc.

If they gave €100 every time someone wrote in claiming that they found a foreign object in the product, they go bust in a month.

Whilst I'm sure yours was genuine, there are thousands of people out there who try this on with many companies.

If I find something unusual in a product, I throw the object away and continue eating the product, as in reality there is no harm that can come to you from the odd foreign object in a food item.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I used to work for a food company and I delt with these kind of complaints. There's not a whole lot they can do tbh. These things do happen regularly, for something like this I would have given more than €12 but probably no more than €40 and it would never be cash, only vouchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

ill take those vouchers if you dont want them OP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Im not looking for a big pay out here or anything like that but what should i do?

What exactly are you looking for? You've done what you should have done, and HB apologised. Would you like them to make it a printed apology in the national media perhaps?

Boycotting their products over one incident is stupid. There have been foreign objects found in just about every foodstuff ever produced/sold. This is no different, except that you found it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

HB have acted fine with this, what do you want from them a free years supply of ice cream?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

i scream
    you scream
    we all scream
    for ice cream

there is not much more they can do for you really.
    apart from banning all fake things that can be attached to the body
    but that could be classed as descrimination or cause embarrasment for someone, due to embarrasing body features.

i would suggest you give up ice cream for a year or so and you will eventually forget about it.
    or do you get cold sweats in the night and nightmares about nails in ice cream, then your only answer is Joe Duffy or The Star, as this would probably get you some closure ( i assume )

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

12 euro in vouchers was a bit miserable of them, i would have thought they'd round it up to 20 anyway, looks and is bit better.
    Customer already spent some of that on the tub in question anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

jaysus lads, i remeber when my younger bro was about 4 or 5, know im talking 20 years ago at least, and he bit into an orange split (remember them) and there was a test tube in the middle of it. He cut his mouth badly and we took photos of the ice cream etc... i remember askin my mam what happened and she told me that we were sent a free box of ice pops... she thought it was great as there was no real harm to me brother, it was only a few cuts...
    how the times have changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

You should post this information on an internet forum to warn other HB customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

dvpower wrote: »
    You should post this information on an internet forum to warn other HB customers.

I recently bought a tub of HB ice cream, only to discover a fake nail while eating it! I rang them about this and then posted it to them along with a strongly worded letter, and a couple of days ago i got a response that I wasnt really happy with.
    I was given 12 euro worth of vouchers for HB which arent much use to me since i refuse to eat any of their products since, and i told them that in my letter. Im not looking for a big pay out here or anything like that but what should i do?
    If i had just found the nail i probably wouldnt have bothered doing anything about it all but its the fact it was dark when i was eating the ice cream and i didnt notice it til it was actually inside my mouth that makes me want to follow this up. So anybody got any advice?

That was quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

If they post you ice pops or Icecream does it not melt in the post office

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

BVB wrote: »
    If they post you ice pops or Icecream does it not melt in the post office

hand delivered to the door rather than an post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

So what is it you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

So what do you want?

Suggestions:

1. A personal apology from the factory worker + the CEO + the quality controller.

2. A full audit of all food safety records from 2001 to date.

3. All HB products removed from sale and destroyed, the whole stock replaced with new stock.

4. Each new tub melted and strained and re-freezed before it s sold.

5. A personal apology in writing from the shop owner that sold the ice-cream.

6. All factory staff, fired and new staff hired. These staff are to wear latex gloves from the start to end of shift.

7. None of these but more money from the company.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

How much do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Bloody recession, HB putting fake nails in their ice-cream instead of real nails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

This is all very nail-biting.....

Advertisement