Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning to college deadlines

• 29-07-2009 4:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

This post might as well be up on this forum in flashing red lights as every second person is talking about returning to college to do subjects in order to be able to teach them.

If you want to go back, apply today. I did 1st Year Irish and I'm returning to finish the degree in September. The deadline for applying is September 1. I suspect many of the other colleges and courses have similar deadlines so don't say you haven't been warned.

The good news is you could finish your degree quicker than you imagine. In UCD at any rate it is technically possible to finish my 2nd and 3rd years in a single year. The new system is divided into 'credits' and I need, for instance, 60 more credits in order to have a full degree. There are 5 credits given to each subject, so I have to do 12 subjects in order to receive the BA. It is a much more user friendly system now, and far more flexible. Classes will be on two nights a week so if you are still working this should suit you.

In other words, if you are serious about going back to get your qualifications, the universities are making it an awful lot easier these days.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks for that. Is this option also open for people who have not a part of a degree to finish? I would like to do an Arts degree but at night, I need to keep working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

dory wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Is this option also open for people who have not a part of a degree to finish? I would like to do an Arts degree but at night, I need to keep working.

Yes, you can start in first year and do the entire degree at night. As far as I am aware, you will need 90 credits if you are starting from scratch - at least I will need to get 60 more when I start in 2nd Year. The new UCD system wrecked my head at first but once I got my head around it it is much more student-focused than the old system. It definitely accommodates your working life more. I'll be working/studying full-time while doing the BA in Irish in this part-time night course.

I surmise that you'd like to do something in the humanities/arts if you are thinking of teaching. If this is accurate, you should contact Colin MacMahon who is over the BA Part-Time programme. I found him to be very helpful and he explained it very well to me. His contact details can be found here:

http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/contact.html

PS: The fee per subject is something like €452. Each subject is equivalent to 5 credits.

Advertisement