Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good mobile phone plan

• 29-07-2009 7:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. I am looking to buy the Xperia but I want to be able to take advantage of it fully and there dont seem to be any data plans that are any good!

I'm in uni and almost all my friends are on meteor so the free calls+txts are great but my only data option on meteor pay as you go is at €30/month (and thats with a 50mb daily cap)

I like three's €10-1GB or €20-10GB plan but their calling/texting plans arent the greatest.

What kind of plans do other people who email/browse on their phones do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Aemelica wrote: »
    I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. I am looking to buy the Xperia but I want to be able to take advantage of it fully and there dont seem to be any data plans that are any good!

I'm in uni and almost all my friends are on meteor so the free calls+txts are great but my only data option on meteor pay as you go is at €30/month (and thats with a 50mb daily cap)

I like three's €10-1GB or €20-10GB plan but their calling/texting plans arent the greatest.

Unfortunately I'm pretty much in the same position. A fair few people here would have a 3 SIM just for the data and use another SIM / phone for regular calls.

May not be so bad now that 3 have free webtexts, so with the power of Cabbage you'd only be paying for calls really.

Would love if Meteor brought out a decent PAYG option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Why don't you go on bill pay lite? These are the major parts:
    | Bill Pay Lite 10 | Bill Pay Lite 25
    Length of contract | 30 days | 30 days
    Monthly Commitment | €10 | €25
    Inclusive minutes | 60 | 300
    Inclusive rate per minute | 17c | 8c
    Meteor to Meteor texts | Free | Free
    Meteor to Meteor calls | 5c | Free
    Calls outside of monthly bundle | |
    Meteor to other networks | 20c | 20c
    Meteor to landline | 20c | 20c
    Text messages to other networks | 9c | 9c
    Voicemail | Free 171 voicemail | Free 171 voicemail

And you can get their 250MB add on for €10 a month. I'm on it and the 250MB does me fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've been looking at my own plan. I'm on the business 600 with o2 at the moment and was interested in beefing up to 1gb data and I think it turns out the iphone plan would be a cheaper way to do it with o2.:

iPhone: 100inc VAT 700min 250text 1gb data
    overuse: 20c/min 10c/text
    Gold Upgrade: iPhone costs 129 euro

600: 80 inc VAT 600min 250text, 1GB data= 15euro
    overuse: 20c/min 10c/text

So the iPhone package costs 5 euro extra, but with 100 more minutes, which if you made 700 minutes of calls on the 600 plan, would cost an extra 20 euro.

Then I saw Three's Relax 650 plan.

79 inc VAT. 650min 1,950 texts :eek: and if you want 1GB of data, it'll be €10
    overuse: 18c/min 6c/text

What's also very attractive about this is you can use the data in the UK just as you would here so no worry about roaming if you visit the UK frequently.

I'm tempted to move, but after my Three mobile broadband experience, I'm not the keenest to give them more business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭grinder23

Cormie

Its worth noting about the Three relax plans its up to 650 mins or up to 1950 texts i got caught out on that one

They measure them in units so you get 650 units to use and each unit is = 3 texts so if you use 300 texts that drops your units left to 550 and each unit is also = 1 minute so if you use 650 minutes in the month you would have no texts to use

Hope you understand that but the uk roaming is handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Jaysus Grinder, thanks for pointing that out! I did hear about the units before, but I thought the 650 and 1950 were set minutes and texts not using all units for them! So that makes it kinda terrible then except for the roaming!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Aemelica

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Why don't you go on bill pay lite? These are the major parts:
    | Bill Pay Lite 10 | Bill Pay Lite 25
    Length of contract | 30 days | 30 days
    Monthly Commitment | €10 | €25
    Inclusive minutes | 60 | 300
    Inclusive rate per minute | 17c | 8c
    Meteor to Meteor texts | Free | Free
    Meteor to Meteor calls | 5c | Free
    Calls outside of monthly bundle | |
    Meteor to other networks | 20c | 20c
    Meteor to landline | 20c | 20c
    Text messages to other networks | 9c | 9c
    Voicemail | Free 171 voicemail | Free 171 voicemail

And you can get their 250MB add on for €10 a month. I'm on it and the 250MB does me fine

Thanks Sam, I think the Bill Pay lite 25 with the 250mb data addon is my best bet. It would also help me avoid all the bitching i would get from friends for not being on meteor hah.

How far does 250mb take you in a month? As in how much data does facebook and a bit of browsing take up + email?

**** just saw that the bill pay lite offer expires august 31st and i'm not back in Ireland till end of september :( You guys think they'll keep it around? Or is there some way i can sign up for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

**** just saw that the bill pay lite offer expires august 31st and i'm not back in Ireland till end of september :( You guys think they'll keep it around? Or is there some way i can sign up for it?

i think so. its likely one of those perpetual offers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

How far does 250mb take you in a month? As in how much data does facebook and a bit of browsing take up + email?

There was one month where it ran out with only a few hours to go but I watched a good few youtube videos that month. Facebook, browsing and email won't get you to 250MB, especially if you use opera mini

And you can find out how much data you have left by texting Data Balance to 50104

Advertisement