Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Cat Looks like its about to die

Options
  • 29-07-2009 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

My next door neighbours cat looks absolutely awful of late, they have 2 cats and treat them very well. 1 is quite old at this stage possibly 10-12 years old now, but its looking worse and worse by the day, its fur is falling out, its very skinny and in general looks terrible. Surely by the looks of it this cat is on deaths door and should be put down.

Only posting this cause it looks awful , and it was sat in our drive way this morning trying to eat rocks.

I have attached 2 pics.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Luxy

Chong wrote: »
    Only posting this cause it looks awful , and it was sat in our drive way this morning trying to eat rocks.

It shouldn't have, but that sentence made me laugh out loud. :(

Seriously though, that poor cat needs to be seen by a vet. Have you spoken to your neighbour about it? Maybe you could convince them to do the right thing. Like most pet owners would, they're probably trying to put off the inevitable because it's just too heartbreaking for them. You could try to make them see how heartbreaking it is to watch the cat suffer like this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Luxy wrote: »
    It shouldn't have, but that sentence made me laugh out loud. :(

Seriously though, that poor cat needs to be seen by a vet. Have you spoken to your neighbour about it? Maybe you could convince them to do the right thing. Like most pet owners would, they're probably trying to put off the inevitable because it's just too heartbreaking for them. You could try to make them see how heartbreaking it is to watch the cat suffer like this though.
    Ah ya you see we dont get on well with them at all, which is unfortunate cause that cat looks on its last legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

?????? That's horrendous! That animal needs to see a vet. Why is it so thin?

By the way, if your neighbour's cat is in that state, then this:
    they have 2 cats and treat them very well

does not apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Luxy

Aw, that's a shame. The cat really looks like its at death's door though. She's so thin, and if she's been eating rocks, maybe she's actually starving to death. You could consider putting a bit of food out yourself, or if you don't want her hanging around, see if you can get an SCPA to pick her up instead. You could show them these pictures, they'd have to take it seriously. (Unlikely, but there's always hoping!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

?????? That's horrendous! That animal needs to see a vet. Why is it so thin?

By the way, if your neighbour's cat is in that state, then this:

does not apply.
    Does it look as bad I am making out ?

What could possibly cause this?

I know the cat is old, surely its not old age?

Like their other cat is pristine condition, their a certain type of cat, Siberians I believe.

But for past year or so , the sick looking cat has been weird I have seen it eats own waste having dug it up and buried it. It always goes to the toilet in the same spot in our garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

You really have to try to talk to your neighbors even if you guys dont get on so well.
    That cat have to go to the vet. There is no point to let him suffer like that. That is not fair on the cat.
    Maybe he is getting bullied by the other cat too.
    Or call the animal welfare to come to get the cat!! As said, this is really not fair to let the cat suffer like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

That cat looks awful. Regardless of whether you dont get on well with the neighbour would you not call in anyway and just ask in a friendly way if hes sick or not.

I couldnt sit and watch an animal like that and not do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Chong wrote: »
    But for past year or so , the sick looking cat has been weird I have seen it eats own waste having dug it up and buried it. It always goes to the toilet in the same spot in our garden.
    Poor cat. It looks in an awful state.
    It's definitely an old cat and I doubt it will live much longer.
    I've always found that in the last stages they do develop weird habits, and one of my cats with degenerative kidney disease took to eating the (clean clay-type) litter. We had to change to using compost.
    And they do neglect grooming when they're at that stage and that would explain all the matting and hair loss.

That poor cat needs to be taken to the vet and I very much doubt the news will be good.
    *IF* he's not in pain and not distressed, he at the very least needs to be in a comfortable place and well looked after for however long more he lives.

For his sake, go talk to your neighbour, even offer to do the trip to the vet if they'd accept that.
    Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Maybe the cat has already been to the vet and sent home, i mean if they other cat is in great nick then tis is possible.

The reason I say this is cos our family cat who we had from 1988-2001 (2001 was a very sad year :() was brought to the vet cos she was not eating and had become thin and had started neglecting herself, like cleaning and stuff. The vet gave her an injection, like a booster or something (any info from any one in the know what this might have been?) and she perked up and was sent home but then slowly declined for about 2 months, then she didnt eat at all for 2 days and we brough her in and she was PTS.

So maybe this fellow is on his last legs but hasnt been sentenced yet

Advertisement