Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information for people visiting Kerry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Can't beat the views on a good clear day....

Caught this one on the way to Molls Gap, just as the sun was setting...

4203320164_b966635280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

looking for somewhere in dingle to eat Sunday lunch ,pref seafood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 HereIGo

Oh, I forgot, Salvadors on High Street in Killarney has good food as well (I looove the Hot Stuff Pizza :) ), I recommend it for families but not so much for a romantic night out as it can be quite noisy when it gets busy :p

Was in Killarney for a few days last week and ate in Salvadors. Very disappointed. Had pan fried chicken, which was lovely, but served with chips, never even gave me a choice. Asked for a baked potato, and was served pretty quickly. What a spud!!! It was so wet, it was unedible. Husband had chowder for starters which was okay, and steak which was only okay also with pepper sauce which tasted of oxtail soup. Would not recommend this restaurant. Othewise enjoyed my trip to Killarney. Great spot always.

:mad:went to the station house in Blennerville,got the oxtail hot pot.
    it was disgusting full of grissle and far to tomatoey I didnt eat it and said it to my waitress she said oh it either one of them things you either love it or hate it ! thought it was cheeky of her and still was charged I think €21.50
    I wont be going back :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

You don't have to put up with this. Just ask for the manager, and if he/she won't give you satisfaction, tell them the meal was inadequate and offer them half the price. If you're not going back - well, it might make them think about their quality control and service in these hard times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

Playing to head to Kerry this weekend for 3 nights.

Anyone recommend places to stay and go?

Thinking along the lines of Dingle, ring of kerry.

Thanks

Trampas.there is a festival in kenmare this weekend,dont know anything bout it but might be worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

out of the blue in dingle is meant to be brilliant

allos in listowel is well worth a visit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tayshty

baubl wrote: »
    In Dingle
    Lord Bakers = brilliant
    Half Door = brilliant
    Old Pier House (6 miles west of Dingle) world beater, fantastic, best I have ever been, any one know the place

Old pier is good spot. I never get a starter there because the portions are huge.
    They're not open all year round so a phone call ahead is advised.
    Probably the best steak I've had anyway.
    http://www.oldpier.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Cucina Italiana, off East Avenue Road (I think)

Best Italian food I've had, and definitely the tastiest of the many places in Killarney. A little expensive, and not great for families, but perfect for couples or groups of adults.

Every time we're in Killarney, we eat there. The dark choc mousse with warm burnt orange sauce is nom nom nom :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

sheesh wrote: »
    out of the blue in dingle is meant to be brilliant

Agreed, one of the best fresh seafood restaurants in the country. Its on the seafront across from the carpark - looks like an old shed painted blue from the outside.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Out of the Blue is serious fish, they don't do chips or anything like that. If greasy caff is more your thing(think deep fried mars bars)Harringtons nearby is your best bet. For posher fish and chips tak away "Reel Fish" up near Flahertys is your best bet.

Out west of Dingle I love Gormans Cliff top house- just down from the Old Pier already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Hi all - driving from Youghal to Caherciveen on Saturday (7th July) but I see the Kerry Charity cycle is on and Killorglin Main St is closed for a festival.

Any advice? Would I be ok going Killarney, Killorglin Caherciveen, or would I be better going via Kenmare and Waterville (even though it's a longer trip?

Thanks!

PS Can ye sort the weather out for 2 weeks also please?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

there are some temporary closuresbetween killarney / killorglin / caherciveen early in the day , but otherwise you should be fine.
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/roadclosures/title,7277,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

That's perfect -just the info I was looking for!

Thanks 555guy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Hi all,

I'm looking for somewhere cheap to stay on 31/8 and 1/9 in Dingle. Two people. We don't have a car so ideally close to the town.

The marathon is on that weekend so everywhere seems to be booked. Anyone know any hostels etc that might not be appearing online for me?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭brodsy

Have you looked at this site http://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/accom5.html or ring the tourist office there on 066 9151188

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Irish rail august special offer Dublin -Tralee family return ticket (2 adults & up to 4 kids) €99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Best holiday village that is suitable or a family of five but not in the middle of no where for summer time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

blingrhino wrote: »
    Best holiday village that is suitable or a family of five but not in the middle of no where for summer time ?

Ballybunion or Ballyheigue might suit if you are looking for easy access to the bigger towns of Tralee/Listowel and for travelling around Kerry. Otherwise I would have recommended Dingle but the Dingle Peninsula is isolated from the rest of the County it being circa 50km from Tralee.

Between Ballybunnion and Ballyheigue there is a bit of a trade off. Ballybunion would have a greater holiday lettings availability but would also have a 'racier' reputation for the nightlife during the summer than Ballyheigue. By 'racier' I only mean that it has late night bars during the summer that attracts a Limerick crowd in particular so you might find Ballyheigue to be more family friendly in that respect although its really only minor stuff here. So if you are going for Ballybunion make sure that you get a house that is not very central to the village, thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

YOUR BEST BET IS Castlegregory.

Safe Blue Flag Beaches, Pubs/Restaurants, Horse Riding, Surfing, Diving, Golf, Sightseeing, easy access to the bigger towns of Tralee/Dingle, etc, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

amadain wrote: »
    YOUR BEST BET IS Castlegregory.

Safe Blue Flag Beaches, Pubs/Restaurants, Horse Riding, Surfing, Diving, Golf, Sightseeing, easy access to the bigger towns of Tralee/Dingle, etc, etc, etc.
    Banna beach hotel?

Banna beach hotel?

Best holiday village ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 mongrel72

jacks bakery in killorglin is a fabulous deli/takeaway bakery ,i always stop when passing through.Prego restaurant in ken mare for a great pizza,Kingdom store in tralee is another great deli and artisan food shop.Bombay tandoori in tralee for indian food.Spillanes pub in maharees does lovely seafood.Allos restaurant in listowel and jds deli also listowel i would recommend.Theres loads of nice food in kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

The family and I will be holidaying in Kerry for 3 weeks in June/July,and I'm looking forward to having a few pints and a few whiskies during my stay. I am looking for pubs with a bit of character,that won't have patrons gawking at sky sports news the whole time.

I have been to Courtneys in Killarney and some pubs whose name I forget back around Brandon village.We would be touring most areas of the county so all locations would be welcome.Pubs with history are also a big plus(been to S.Pole Inn in Annascaul too)

Really looking forward to it,I miss the Irish Pub so much :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Are you Irish crockholm? Sky sports a necessity in more pubs than not. I can't think of many pubs in the entire country, let alone Kerry, where you don't have a TV.

Some of the ones without a TV would be specifically geared at a passing tourism trade, and wouldn't always be considered many people's real local.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

crockholm, http://www.osullivanscourthousepub.com/ in Dingle doesn't have a TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

if I was an owner I would recommend my place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Are you Irish crockholm? Sky sports a necessity in more pubs than not. I can't think of many pubs in the entire country, let alone Kerry, where you don't have a TV.

Some of the ones without a TV would be specifically geared at a passing tourism trade, and wouldn't always be considered many people's real local.
    I'm as Irish as bate'in the dog,I was in a few pubs that didn't have telly's,best known being courtneys in killarney, but we just want to go somewhere where that feckin sky sports news isn't on.It drains the atmosphere.

Or historic pubs,or quirky pubs, just not the generic"everyone stay silent whilst one liverpool fella passes to another for 2 hours, and an hour of analysis"

Just looking for recommendations from the good folks here:)

Advertisement