Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

With 3 Days Until Dublin....Metallica perform another world exclusive!

• 29-07-2009 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

METALLICA performed the "Death Magnetic" track "Suicide & Redemption" for the first time ever last night (Monday, July 27) at the Forum in Copenhagen, Denmark. Fan-filmed video footage of the performance can be viewed below. Earlier tonight (July 28), the band treated the Copenhagen audience to another word premiere — METALLICA's live performance of "The Ecstasy of Gold", the song from the classic film "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" which has been opening METALLICA live shows since 1983.

METALLICA's cover of "The Ecstasy of Gold" was released in February 2007 via Sony Classical as part of a tribute to composer Ennio Morricone, also featuring some of the greatest names from the worlds of contemporary pop, rock, jazz, and classical music.

METALLICA's setlists for the last two Copenhagen shows (out of a five-date run) were as follows:

July 27, 2009 at Forum in Copenhagen, Denmark:

01. That Was Just Your Life
    02. The End Of The Line
    03. Ride The Lightning
    04. The Memory Remains
    05. One
    06. Broken, Beat And Scarred
    07. Leper Messiah
    08. Sad But True
    09. No Leaf Clover
    10. Suicide & Redemption
    11. The Day That Never Comes
    12. Master Of Puppets
    13. Dyers Eve
    14. Nothing Else Matters
    15. Enter Sandman
    - - - - - - - -
    16. Last Caress
    17. Phantom Lord
    18. Seek and Destroy

July 28, 2009 at Forum in Copenhagen, Denmark:

01. That Was Just Your Life
    02. The End Of The Line
    03. Disposable Heroes
    04. Of Wolf and Man
    05. Fade To Black
    06. Cyanide
    07. My Apocalypse
    08. Sad But True
    09. One
    10. The Thing that Should Not Be
    11. The Day That Never Comes
    12. Master Of Puppets
    13. Battery
    14. Nothing Else Matters
    15. Enter Sandman
    - - - - - - - -
    16. Ecstasy of Gold
    17. Whiplash
    18. Seek and Destroy

METALLICA filmed its July 7, 2009 concert in Nimes, France for an upcoming DVD release, but the catch is that the disc will be available only in France and through METALLICA's official website, Metallica.com. Since it's a French product, you'll also need an all-region DVD player in order to watch it in North America. The DVD will arrive on October 19. METALLICA also documented its three recent shows in Mexico City for DVD, although that looks like it will be released in Latin America only.

METALLICA will be touring Europe through early August. The band starts a North American trek on September 14 in Nashville as it continues supporting 2008's "Death Magnetic" album.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I prefer the setlist from the first night I think Crue - what about yourself ???

wish they'd drop Nothing Else Matters, not that I don't like the song, I just wish they'd keep the tempo high.....
    there's definitely a good chance we'll get something different on Sat, which is always good news - but I really want Dyers to be played......

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krooney

Ive seen them three times here! They are just great entertainers! That set list is amazing!

Cant go this year! too broke to buy tickets. Stupid Recession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

NIBBS wrote: »
    I prefer the setlist from the first night I think Crue - what about yourself ???

First night certainly seems like the better one
    wish they'd drop Nothing Else Matters, not that I don't like the song, I just wish they'd keep the tempo high.....

A friend of mine once had a theory that if you look at this tracks performance on footage such as the Freddie Mercury tribute concert and then compare it to performances on current World Tours, they actually perform this song a little differently - there seems to be an element that is removed from it. I think if you compare the live 1992 version to the live 2009 version there is a difference certainly in the songs live arrangement.
    there's definitely a good chance we'll get something different on Sat, which is always good news - but I really want Dyers to be played......

Dyers was played in Mexico, so it is on the cards, but I think Frayed Ends of Sanity or another world exclusive should be played...to be honest I think that the crowd were quite patient to sit through a 10min instrumental in Denmark with S&R

Being completely honest I still wouldnt mind seeing a performance of My Apcolypse live...I think Im right in saying the band has now performed every track from the album live at least once since its release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Kinda wish I was going, but I saw them, here, less than a year ago!

I do not like Marley Park at all either.

And no Creeping Death on either of them? WHUT?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

From what i can see they keep NEM in there for pacing reasons ie. slow things down so the band can catch their breath. Tbh i hate the song,it's always my cue to go for a slash at a gig.

• Advertisement

Being completely honest I still wouldnt mind seeing a performance of My Apcolypse live...I think Im right in saying the band has now performed every track from the album live at least once since its release

They still haven't played Unforgiven 3 and i doubt that'll get a run out until one of the US dates in the autumn. I'd like to see My Apocalypse too,savage song live,an instrumental like S&R would kill the atmosphere at an outdoor show(think nuGN'R in 2006),better to keep the tempo up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Fad wrote: »
    And no Creeping Death on either of them? WHUT?:confused:

Was thinking the same thing

It's funny but lots of fans complained that they were playing Creeping death too much through 06/07/08 as an opener!! Likewise loads of fans complain about Seek and Destroy as the closing song!

Creeping death has been played a good few times on this tour,i'll be surprised if its played on saturday though as its been on the the set list here for their last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Seek and Destroy as a self styled encore doesnt do anything for me. I would much rather them finish with Breadfan, Creeping Death, or Enter Sandman. Sandman, purely for the recognition of the song as Metallica's from a worldwide perspective.

Equally, the used finish with Songs like Motorbreath in the 1990s. I would far prefer that to Seek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

yeah Lucan - I know NEM is for giving them a breather, that's what I was saying, I'd just like them to go hammer and thongs for the whole set - I know I'm just in dreamland, but it would be nice......

I'd like My Apocalypse thrown into the set too....

and I'd love them to finish with Whiplash :-)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

So a world exclusive for metallica is that they played one of their own songs and a cover song that they used to play live?

You lads are very easily pleased I must say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Everything in 1/2 and a full step down these days both time too was painfull sometimes to listen to James try and sing with standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Sad but true seems to be a constant, hate that ****ing song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

buck65 wrote: »
    Sad but true seems to be a constant, hate that ****ing song.

Me too, drives me mad.
    Would be very happy with Leper Messiah and No Leaf Clover tho.

More looking forward to Mastodon and AIC tbh. If we got The Czar and Junkhead I would be a happy bunny indeed.Plus a lack of rain would be a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

These 5 shows in Copenhagen have been such a let down IMO. So many rumours were being thrown around about something special happening and Lars even commented at the start and said they had things planned. S&R although good is not a song you want to hear live and the Met cover of Ecstacy isnt very good :pac: If its not the original its just meh.

Advertisement