Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord issues

Options
  • 29-07-2009 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I handed in my months notice to my landlord at the end of June. As it happened I found a place quite quickly and moved out two weeks ago. I had not been back to my old apartment untill last night as I wanted to clean it and get any last bits and pieces I'd left behind before friday (31st July) my official date for vacating.
    When I got there the landlord had already been in and cleared out everything belonging to me which included two lamps, a stool and a few other bits left in drawers and the apartment had been cleaned and new furniture put in ready for the next tenants.
    I am not happy at all as firstly I don't know what he has done with my things and secondly I was under the understanding that since I still had the lease on the apartment untill the 31st July that he should not have entered it untill I had vacated. I rang his home and his daughter said he is on holidays untill next week and to ring him then and sort out the deposit with him then as well, I don't know what to do or where I stand on this, I'm just very mad since as I had paid up the rent to the end of July so I don't think that he could have done this. Any advice welcome......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

I dont know what to say about this Twixster except that he sounds like many of the landlords I've come across in the course of seventeen years renting in Dublin: i.e. an arsehole who respects nothing except the rent he gets from you every month. You're well off out of there by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Twixster wrote: »
    cleared out everything belonging to me which included two lamps, a stool and a few other bits left in drawers
    I'd call this theft. I'd report it to the local Gardai, and tell the daughter that I've done this.
    Twixster wrote: »
    I was under the understanding that since I still had the lease on the apartment untill the 31st July
    If you gave a months notice on the 31st of June, then yes, you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd call this theft. I'd report it to the local Gardai, and tell the daughter that I've done this.

I'm tempted to agree with this. Atrocious behaviour by the landlord.
    I'd ring the daughter and tell her you need your things immediately and if the landlord can't get your belongings back to you within 24 hours you will be reporting the theft of your items to the guards. I'm sure she has a contact number for him on holidays.

Advertisement