Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT (Dublin 2010)

Options
  • 29-07-2009 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

hi everyone,

I'm just beginning my preparation for Gamsat 2010 (March, Dublin) and was wondering how many people are sitting it? and what sort of resources are you using?

Probably like you all, I've found lots of information about suggested topics. I was wondering if anyone who is focused on the exams wants to work collaberatively on research topics etc. All at a distance but via email etc.

I have some books which have been recommended and if people wanted to work as a mini distance-group we could cover work alot more?

anyone interested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Hey,

Im currently contemplating this too. It has something has popped into my head over the last 2 years since the graduate entry system was created. Whats your background, im a developer in IT for the last 5 years. I'm currently researching the best and most concise materials to use, so any advice you have would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

hey Jon1981,

thanks for your pm.

I have just gotten the 2009 edition of Griffith review and another set of topics for the science (section 3) section of the exam.

I'll post it up on here as a link.

My background is in law having done undergrad and postgrad. Just gone 29 now and very very seriously considering it.

I have some other very recent documents to hand which i'll also put up. Hopefully if we could get a good bunch of people working together we could all get through these tests.

Gimme a day or so to put them up and I'll pm u when they are. Thanks again for the PM, really appreciate it. Will reciprocate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Hi,

im 28, so its kind of refreshing to know im not the only one at my age conisdering this. The age issue is the only thing that will stop me doing this and of course the people telling me im mad to be switching careers at this stage and taking on a massive loan when i should be planning buying a house, kids... all that malarky! look forward to the info.

Jon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Dont mind what anyone else says.
    They are not you, nor you them.

Back yourself and you'll do it!
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

I wouldn't worry what anyone else says to you about your choice. Why keep doing something that isn't your dream?

Honestly guys I think you're going to burn yourselves out by starting this early. You've got over 6 months to cover the material, if you really HAVE to start now then get a good grip of the concepts of biology and chemistry, not the specifics. If I can help at all either post here or shoot me a PM.

• Advertisement

hi everyone,
    sorry for the delay in getting this link up. Been a mad few days. I'm putting up a link I found on here a while ago which really encouraged me to do this exam.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055415394&highlight=GAMSAT%3A+guide

PhoenixIRE on 08/11/08 summarised the major issues in a majorly comprehensive manner.

daviper on 19/11/08 summarised the major topics in each of the science areas and from that I have gotten some books:

Physics
    Kane & Sternhelm, 'Physics', (3rd ed, Wiley)

Biology
    Pocock & Richards, 'The Human Body', (1st ed,2009, Oxford)

Chemistry

Organic
    Bruice, 'Organic Chemister: International Edition', (4th ed, 2004, Pearson)
    Hart, Crane, Hart, 'Organic Chemistry', (10th ed, 1999, Houghton Mifflin)
    Schuam's oultines, 'Organic Chemistry', (3rd ed, 1999, McGraw Hill)
    Patrick, 'Organic Chemistry: instant notes', (1sr ed, 2000 (r. 2002), Bios)

Physical
    Atkins & dePaula, 'Physical Chemistry', (7th ed, 2002, Oxford)

General
    Moore, 'Chemistry for dummies', (2003, Wiley)

I only bought 2 of these books recently as I had the rest from a previous science degree course I did.

I've also gotten the ACER Gamsat books (3 of them).

There's also a link available for the Griffith's 2006 version of the GAMSAT preparation. I'll put it up in a moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

alrite lads

Im preparing for the GAMSAT, my biggest worry is my poor spelling, I fear I'll come a across as an idiot in the written section, any advice?

I emailed the nice people at ACER, they said I won't be marked down for poor spelling but I feel that it gives a bad impression and that it will cause the correcter to go against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

liberal wrote: »
    alrite lads

Im preparing for the GAMSAT, my biggest worry is my poor spelling, I fear I'll come a across as an idiot in the written section, any advice?

I emailed the nice people at ACER, they said I won't be marked down for poor spelling but I feel that it gives a bad impression and that it will cause the correcter to go against me.

I must admit I was quite concerned about my spelling, and also poor handwriting approaching the GAMSAT back in March of this year, and was blown away by my result in SII. I don't really know how I scored well, because I was rushing and as a result both my spelling and handwriting suffered. However it seems if you stick to your plan, back up your arguments and tidy up any loose ends you will be rewarded.

ImDave wrote: »
    I must admit I was quite concerned about my spelling, and also poor handwriting approaching the GAMSAT back in March of this year, and was blown away by my result in SII. I don't really know how I scored well, because I was rushing and as a result both my spelling and handwriting suffered. However it seems if you stick to your plan, back up your arguments and tidy up any loose ends you will be rewarded.

That's really cool to hear about that. I suppose being a standardised test it is somewhat fairer. Liberal, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I suppose if you were that conscious of it, you could do the easy crosswords etc and check the spelling etc.

But ImDave's message would help alot I think

I wouldnt worry so much about spelling etc.
    Its recommended that you write about 10 exam condition S2's before the big day. And then either get a friend to proof read or put on your invigilator hat and do it yourself. 100% strict on time everything. Pretend you've never seen the handwriting before and mark them all.

So thats 10 hours, 20 essays.

After 20 essays, all marked hard, your spelling and handwriting will be bang on ;)

Just to let you know, i know of someone who spent 25 mins of the hour writing the 1st essay in the wrong booklet. When he kopped it and asked for a new book, but was refused, he had to rewrite the entire first essay. And then start the second essay...
    That person shall remain nameless, but S2 turned out his best and fingers crossed in 4 odd hours he will have a place in UL GEM next year :)

He also had 3 mini heart attacks on the 21st of March 09 11:25am ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭allsaintssue

Hey,

Im heading into my third year of general nursing and am planning to do the GAMSAT this year, as the result is good for two years and it would be handy if I knew I had it out of the way, but at the same time I could do it again the following year if my result is horrific:rolleyes:
    I'm really hoping to do well in it but Physics is my worst area!!I hated it in school and wouldn't even consider doing it for the Leaving Cert so I've no idea where to start with my revsision for the physics section!!
    I Love Chemistry, and got an A in the leaving for it, but seeing as ive done nothing remotely chemical since then, im worried I'll have lost all that knowledge!
    Anyway, in a geeky kind of way im looking forward to getting into the study for this. I'll be out on clinical placements until Christmas, and with the exception of a Lit Review that i'll have to do, im hoping to have sufficient time for study!!

Also anyone have any plans for a study group in Dublin???My sister (I'm a triplet) is in the same boat as myself, doing nursing, and planning to do Gamsat but it would be good for us to have a mediator in our study sessions!!!

sounds very interesting as long as everyone is up for playing their own part.

I'm taking the GradMed course next January. I've been in contact and the information etc. will be released sometime in October/November but the sciences(section 3) could be done well in group form.

The same with section 1 with the cliff notes in all the reading/humanities section.

anyone else up for it?

Yep, count me in.

Don't know if its going to be possible to do the GradMed course. Would it be really worth my effort getting on board with it??

Would it be really worth my effort getting on board with it??

I've spoken to two people who did the course last January and they found it very good, well thought and very structured towards s1 and s2 and highlighted good areas in s3. So worth getting on board: I think so... but personal choice

Yeah, I've just been doing some reading about the course and I think you're right, I do think it would be beneficial so all going well and assuming I can afford it, I think I'll definitelty sign up for it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JillC

Hi there,

Just wanted to reassure people.... there's a lot of talk on this site about huge amounts of prep and study required, and I would like to start this comment by saying everyone is different! I have done GAMSAT twice, first time I got 63 and second time 58 (just accepted place in UL !!!!!! :)) To be totally honest, the first year, I applied, saw the word 'aptitude test' and concluded you weren't supposed to study.. went in and winged it on a background of a degree in Nursing (very very basic science) and a liking for chemistry since LC. The second time I read dummy's guide to organic chemistry the night before, and little else. I'm absolutely not a genius or anything like it, and i am being completely honest.. I think what they're testing is your ability to cope with ridiculous mental pressure, and time constraints..which is what the test is. The offical line from GAMSAT I believe is that the questions provide enough info to answer them,(section 3) and I think the idea is that you can read them quickly, quickly digest what's been asked and come up with the most logical anwswr and move on! For the essays I did no prep and I almost feel this is better. I can remember hearing people in the foyer afterwards discussing the essays they had written and how they used the ones they had prepared.. again, I'm stressing that everyone is different, but my understanding of the essay section is that they're testing your ability to respond to and expand on a topic which is 'sprung' on you, and not something that has been prepared and is adapted to fit.. and I think they're marking takes this into account. I'm not saying don't prepare, or study, but prepare in a way that suits your way of learning and don't be freaked out (as I was) by what other people are doing. I'm over the moon to have finally got in (63 wasn't enough the first year I applied!) I've always wanted to do med.. and can't wait for Sept 7th!
    I hope this was helpful and good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Eerie

JillC wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just wanted to reassure people.... there's a lot of talk on this site about huge amounts of prep and study required, and I would like to start this comment by saying everyone is different! I have done GAMSAT twice, first time I got 63 and second time 58 (just accepted place in UL !!!!!! :)) To be totally honest, the first year, I applied, saw the word 'aptitude test' and concluded you weren't supposed to study.. went in and winged it on a background of a degree in Nursing (very very basic science) and a liking for chemistry since LC. The second time I read dummy's guide to organic chemistry the night before, and little else. I'm absolutely not a genius or anything like it, and i am being completely honest.. I think what they're testing is your ability to cope with ridiculous mental pressure, and time constraints..which is what the test is. The offical line from GAMSAT I believe is that the questions provide enough info to answer them,(section 3) and I think the idea is that you can read them quickly, quickly digest what's been asked and come up with the most logical anwswr and move on! For the essays I did no prep and I almost feel this is better. I can remember hearing people in the foyer afterwards discussing the essays they had written and how they used the ones they had prepared.. again, I'm stressing that everyone is different, but my understanding of the essay section is that they're testing your ability to respond to and expand on a topic which is 'sprung' on you, and not something that has been prepared and is adapted to fit.. and I think they're marking takes this into account. I'm not saying don't prepare, or study, but prepare in a way that suits your way of learning and don't be freaked out (as I was) by what other people are doing. I'm over the moon to have finally got in (63 wasn't enough the first year I applied!) I've always wanted to do med.. and can't wait for Sept 7th!
    I hope this was helpful and good luck to all.

+1 to everything Jill just said! I did mine 2 years ago and got in the high 60s (either 66 or 69 - would you believe i've forgotten!)

Here are some thing that I wish i'd known before the exam. Hope they are of some help:
    - Don't freak out about the science section, you're not supposed to know how to do all the questions - just be able to work out the answer with the information given.
    - If it's an organic chem, there is usually an example given so use that to work out the answer.
    - If there is calculation required, there is sometimes a clue in the units given in the answer.
    - If you don't have a clue what the question is about, make an educated guess and move on. Timing is everything - aim to finish the paper!
    - If you don't have a science background, you will need some study for section 3 so you're not totally baffled. I had one but never did physics in my life so I borrowed an LC book and had a flick through it.
    - If you are a science-head, you probably haven't written an essay since LC so practice writing one or two before the exam.
    -On the day of the exam, stay focused. Don't arrive too early as you will be freaked out by all the crazies "studying" and desperately asking people random physics formula that you'll never need.
    - Bring your ipod and drown out all the nonsense talk that goes on - in this scenario, being antisocial can be a great thing!

Stay calm, do your best, and try not to burn yourself out before you even get to Medical school! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

For the last few weeks I've been contemplating what to do with regards to the GAMSAT. I'm starting my final year of my non-scientific degree in September so was going to leave all thoughts of the gammy until next summer. However I'm starting to think about cramming like crazy for the London GAMSAT in September. I'd love some opinions on how possible this is.

I scored 50 in my trial run with little to no study in March this year, and now know what I need to focus on (chem chem and more chem). Not sure if its crazy or not, but I need to decide in the next day or two. Guess I don't really have anything to lose (apart from the fiscal cost of it all, aaargh!) Anyone thinking along similar lines?

Yeah, I've just been doing some reading about the course and I think you're right, I do think it would be beneficial so all going well and assuming I can afford it, I think I'll definitelty sign up for it:)

I have been in contact with the GradMed people and I asked exactly that: how much? they sent me the link with the prices, depending on which of the courses you want to do, can be upto £2,000stg

• Advertisement

Hi there,

went in and winged it on a background of a degree in Nursing (very very basic science) and a liking for chemistry since LC. .

Jill, a success story from a former nurse-Thank you, just what I needed to hear:D

Ugh as for the £2000 thats pretty steep,Im working part time with a nursing agency for the summer and the money is very good, unfortunately, everytime the pay goes into my account, there is always something that needs to be paid for and Im not sure how much work i'll be physically able to do when im back in college as ill be out on clinical placements til xmas..hmm, ill have to start saving!!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

If one feels it neccessary than maybe it might be worthwhile but IMHO €2000 is a huge huge waste of money! Four of my good mates from college all did GAMSAT, all got in the high 60's and all got places for medicine this year, 2 in UCD and 2 in St. Georges, London. And might I add that was all while doing undergrad science degrees which is workload heavy. I'm planning on doing GAMSAT in March '10 and I'll be getting hold of some prep material of course but no way will I be shelling out that kind of money! Some of you may disagree but I just think that it's money that could be put to better use eg. the ridiculous fees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MaryRose77

(63 wasn't enough the first year I applied!) .

Which year was that? 63 would always have gotten you into a place on ANY Irish graduate med course since they started! Maybe you meant 53?

Im not sure what exam is being reffered to here if 63 wasnt enough.

63 would have gotten in anywhere, any year. It would have been enough to even get into most college's in Oz, where 20,000 sit the exam

My own story for what its worth...
    I studied my ass off for 10 weeks and was probably a bit disappointed to get a 62. The only reason 'disappointed' is used is cause I was certain my science was my best section and thats double weighted. It turns out it was my worst. I was actually delighted with my essay score so it balanced out really.
    I did not find it easy. If i went in with no prep, id have gotten close to 0. 10 weeks was barely enough for me. I know of people in Oz who spent an entire year prepping for it.

Fair play Jill for doing so well.
    Gamsat can be passed. But a lot of people I spoke to found it very tough.

This is the site i used mainly to revise
    http://pagingdr.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=gamsat

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 rbrbrb

I did the course last year and to be honest my money wasn't well spent. I got 63 and have accepted a place in UCD. However there's nothing in the course you couldn't do yourself and all my marks were off my own bat. A simple A-level text book for the three sciences would do I reckon. Don't forget there are always going to be questions you simply cannot answer, the A-level texts easily cover the other ones. If it were a good bit cheaper like €500 it might be worth it but not at £2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JillC

MaryRose77 wrote: »
    Which year was that? 63 would always have gotten you into a place on ANY Irish graduate med course since they started! Maybe you meant 53?

It was the first year UCD had graduate entry, maybe 2005 or something, it wasn't through the CAO it was direct entry with not too many places. I'm certain of my score but thanks.

Just wondering if a leaving cert physics book will provide me with enough information for GAMSAT?
    I haven't done anything remotely like physics since the junior cert, when it was part of science so I haven't a clue about any of it, will the lc book be good enough or should i try to get additional material??
    Also, should I learn formulae off (in any section)? Will that be necessary or would any necessary formula be given?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Eerie

Just wondering if a leaving cert physics book will provide me with enough information for GAMSAT?
    I haven't done anything remotely like physics since the junior cert, when it was part of science so I haven't a clue about any of it, will the lc book be good enough or should i try to get additional material??
    Also, should I learn formulae off (in any section)? Will that be necessary or would any necessary formula be given?

I was in the same boat and looked at an LC physics book before the test - this is the required standard for GAMSAT.

I didn't learn any formula but a few physics ones did come up and they weren't given on the paper - luckily they were easy enough ones so I either knew them anyway or could work it out with the information given. I remember there being only one requiring a formula that I hadn't a clue of.

I wouldn't go mad learning formula in any section as they are not high yield - your time would be better spent getting your head around basic concepts that learning off anything. A lot of the time, if you understand the concept, the formula will be obvious.

It should do.
    The most important thing is to be able to quickly use formulae. You will not have to learn anything off.
    But usually when you can use a formula quickly, you know if off by heart anyway.
    Power, Ohms law, electric bulbs, gravity, speed, collisions seemed to be fav questions.

Get onto http://pagingdr.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=gamsat for the most info.
    Physics was about 10% in March if not less...

Biology and Orgo Chem was the focus of majority of q's. And it wasnt things you could ever hope to learn off. But the info was given in the q...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cailin_fanach

Hey guys

I'm just finished a degree in Chemistry and I'm sitting the GAMSAT in England in September because I want the option of studying in either England or Ireland. I haven't really got stuck into study yet and I'm freaking out a bit that I won't get it covered in time. Does anyone have any tips on what I should be cramming?? Especially with regards to the written communication???

Advertisement