Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭deezell

thisyear wrote: »
    Hi all,

still havent made a purchase, had a lend of siblings mower pre covid and it couldnt be returned due to social distancing! Ive about 1.25ac to cut with a long avenue and wondering which mower has the biggest bag, thinking this is really the deciding difference between them all. Ok with secondhand if anyone has ideas.

Re bag size, advice given in post #3508 still holds. https://youtu.be/XZ4bIQ0Ffu4

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ClickPilcrow

It's time to retire my trusty lawnmower after 14 years and look for something equivalent to replace it. It's a McCulloch M46SD Titanium. The engine is still going strong and has never given us a moment's trouble, but the mower needs to be replaced rather than repaired.

There's so much choice out there - any recommendations for what models to start looking at? Thanks in advance 😊

It's time to retire my trusty lawnmower after 14 years and look for something equivalent to replace it. It's a McCulloch M46SD Titanium. The engine is still going strong and has never given us a moment's trouble, but the mower needs to be replaced rather than repaired.

There's so much choice out there - any recommendations for what models to start looking at? Thanks in advance ��
    Why not the same again? They're availablr in some Topline stores.
    http://topline.ie/garden-outdoors/outdoor-power-equipment/lawnmowers/petrol-lawnmowers/mcculloch/m46-125wr-self-drive-lawnmower-18in
    Endless choice of these pattern mowers, buy one with good wheels, levers, cables, etc. Mountfield, Pro lawn, World, they all look the same for a reason.

Here's a bargain 50cm cut Draper if you're in the Cork/Kerry area;
    https://www.mdoshea.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=15424

deezell wrote: »
    Why not the same again? They're availablr in some Topline stores.
    [...]
    Endless choice of these pattern mowers, buy one with good wheels, levers, cables, etc. Mountfield, Pro lawn, World, they all look the same for a reason.

Thanks for the recommendations - appreciate it. It's great to have a list to start with.

It's funny that you mention wheels. The only one of those brands I've seen in the flesh was a Pro Lawn in Woodies. The engine gave me confidence based on our experience with the McCulloch, but the wheels and plastic elements across the handles looked really thin and flimsy. A shame, as it's on sale and looked tempting but IRL it looked like the wheels in particular looked and felt like they wouldn't manage the weight of the mower for long.

Here's a bargain 50cm cut Draper if you're in the Cork/Kerry area

I'm in Cork so I'll definitely check that one out - thanks.

I probably should have mentioned it initially in case it makes a difference: our back garden is sloped, so a mower that can only handle flat gardens is a no-no.

• Advertisement

Pro lawn, a Woodie's brand, not to be confused with Proplus, a generic mower, but worth a look
    https://www.raygrahams.com/products/130796-proplus-self-propelled-46cm-petrol-lawnmower-briggs-stratton-engine.aspx
    Slopes are hard on the power drive going uphill, and hard on the wheels if going laterally across a steep slope. Mowers with smaller wheels less prone to damage by the second scenario.

Co-op Superstores in Cork/Limerick also have a decent version of the 46cm mower, well priced, the Webb brand is well backed up for spares.
    https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Garden/Lawnmowers/Petrol-Lawnmowers/Webb-Pro--18-Self-Propelled-Rotary-Lawnmower-1799601

Slopes are hard on the power drive going uphill, and hard on the wheels if going laterally across a steep slope. Mowers with smaller wheels less prone to damage by the second scenario.

Really good to know - thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I have being told there is a snapper rxt 300 for sale for about €2700 and it is in perfect condition.
    Can any advise of the new price of this? i think it 2/3 years old.
    I think it looks a bit big for storing but i not sure.
    If i thought i getting good deal i buy and move on if too big.

Many thanks...

I have being told there is a snapper rxt 300 for sale for about €2700 and it is in perfect condition.
    Can any advise of the new price of this? i think it 2/3 years old.
    I think it looks a bit big for storing but i not sure.
    If i thought i getting good deal i buy and move on if too big.

Many thanks...

Discontinued model, there's still a few in the UK reduced to £3900. Was about £4300. Here it would have been maybe €4900. This irish supplier lists them, ring for price
    https://www.trevortoolhire.ie/ride-on-mowers

If it's 2 years old, its a good deal at €2700. Offer €2500. Huge engine, very powerful. 42" cut so not too wide. Check the hour meter to see how much work it has done. 60-90 would be three seasons of private use, unless it was a huge site.

• Advertisement

Discontinued model, there's still a few in the UK reduced to £3900. Was about £4300. Here it would have been maybe €4900. This irish supplier lists them, ring for price
    https://www.trevortoolhire.ie/ride-on-mowers

If it's 2 years old, its a good deal at €2700. Offer €2500. Huge engine, very powerful. 42" cut so not too wide. Check the hour meter to see how much work it has done. 60-90 would be three seasons of private use, unless it was a huge site.

Thanks for reply, I expect it might be too big for me as i am not sure i want to give up that much of my garage space for winter.
    Also i would never have known what amount of hours an average mower do in a year so nice to know...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Possibly it's been mentioned here already, but agrieuro based in Italy ship to Ireland and all prices include delivery.

The Ride-ons are in a crate, so you do have to do some assembly.

Keep an eye their clearance offers - I got a stiga for €1450 and lowest price here was €2200. They also added a free trailer which I don't think I should have gotten.

Delivery is by Dascher (previously Johnson logistics)

https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/collecting-lawn-tractors-c-1_263.html

Currently they don't seem to have any particularly good offers, but handy to keep an eye on.

Agrieuro were well known here, quite a few posters bought, and the trailer was free with any tractor mower. The problem at the moment is that franchising or brexit or something here removed the entire GGP (now Stiga Group) stable of products from the UK site, meaning no Castelgarden, Stiga or Alpina mowers on the UK site. No sign of a .ie site in Euros for us yet, but you can use the German .de site to see all the missing stuff, and order even afaik. Prices are interestingly different from the .co.uk site, I assume VAT would be readjusted to your delivery location rate.

Does anyone know what ratio for HP/CC in lawnmowers?

Does anyone know what ratio for HP/CC in lawnmowers?

If only it were that easy. A 1600 cc petrol engine might produce only 70 or 80 mechanical hp, or it could produce almost 1000hp in a formula 1 race engine.
    With lawnmower engines, the spread is not so great, but the real mechanical hp produced depends on the operating RPM, and the maximum torque available at that RPM.
    Example. The popular high power Briggs & Stratton 8 series V twin engines have 724cc capacity. They have gross torque of 41 to 48 Nm at 3600 rpm, depending on which variant of engine you buy. Power in Kw is (torque x rpm)÷ 9.5488. For the 41Nm engine, this gives 15.58Kw. Divide by 0.746 to get the figure in hp, 20.73. The 48 Nm engine will give proportionately more hp.
    When the engine is working, it's likely to be running at only 3000 rpm, but at this speed can achieve higher torque, about 48 Nm, so it's working power will be about 20hp

So from this example you can devise a rule of thumb that each hp equates to 36.2 cc, and you wouldn't be far off for a lot of basic engines, but higher spec versions would have a higher figure. Apologies for all the maths, Hope your'e not sorry you asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

That would be a good size mower for your garden without going for a ride on. Some users have posted here in the past, very happy iirc, some critics too, though not necessarily users. Some complaints over bag size, but bag is as big as any walk behind, it just fills quicker. There's pull start and electric start options. A few used ones from time to time, good prices in NI also.
    Use the thread search to discover comments.

Couldn't push the boat out for the toro.
    Ended up going for a Woodies brand Pro Lawn, 21 inch blade with the briggs 625exi engine.
    Very happy with it, no mulching option, but it cuts well.

Like any of these things, if you look after them, keep the blade sharp, service the engine, and clean the thing, then they will keep going for a long time.

I'll probably be buying a Ride On Mower next year, ane keep the walk behind for getting into the hard to reach spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭3d4life

https://eu.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2020/07/20/briggs-stratton-company-founded-1908-files-bankruptcy-protection/5470618002/

I have an ancient Beast of a walk behind ( 30 something inch ). Its 8.5HP B&S sound like a bag full of spanners. Found this news while looking for a replacement.

What could be more American than B & S ?

Why did Trump not intervene ?

The world as I knew it has come to a full stop

:P

P.S. Anyone know of a Dublin/Meath/Louth B&S wizard up to rebuilding or supplying and fitting an equiv engine ? ( the sticker price of a replacement for The Beast seems to be 2k+ )

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭3d4life

....Ended up going for a Woodies brand Pro Lawn, 21 inch blade with the briggs 625exi engine....

Anyone know if Woodies do discount on lawnmowers on ?Thursdays? for mature buyers ?

3d4life wrote: »
    Anyone know if Woodies do discount on lawnmowers on ?Thursdays? for mature buyers ?

I think they're excluded, as are power tools, or anything already on a deal. Sh1te, just gave my age away.

3d4life wrote: »
    https://eu.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2020/07/20/briggs-stratton-company-founded-1908-files-bankruptcy-protection/5470618002/

I have an ancient Beast of a walk behind ( 30 something inch ). Its 8.5HP B&S sound like a bag full of spanners. Found this news while looking for a replacement.

What could be more American than B & S ?

Why did Trump not intervene ?

The world as I knew it has come to a full stop

:P

P.S. Anyone know of a Dublin/Meath/Louth B&S wizard up to rebuilding or supplying and fitting an equiv engine ? ( the sticker price of a replacement for The Beast seems to be 2k+ )
    Great article, well found.
    If Trump subbed B&S, the rest of the world would tariff the hole out of them. It was a typical Trump redneck company though, now moving production to New York! That would really sicken him. Symptomatic of the ills of industrial middle America.
    I like the sound of this guy in Baldoyle, one man operation, engines and also heating and plumbing,
    "All Work Carried Out By Shane Keane(Owner)"

Tel: (01) 847 7774
    K & D Service & Repair
    Baldoyle Industrial Estate,
    Tel: (01) 847 7774
    https://www.kdservices.ie/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

Thought I'd post an update, went and ordered stihl RM 650 T, the guys got the wrong one in(stihl RM 650 V) and stihl warehouse didn't have the T to order when I went in to pick it up, so I ended up getting the V for 700 quid instead of 800!
    Beast of a mower, a big upgrade from the dying heap of crap I had before it, very heavy, plenty of power and the mulching function is great, haven't bothered bagging unless it was wet and even at that I started just waiting until it dries up now to mulch
    The box is great too, I'd say it packs in about 3 times the volume what my old bag could fit
    Anyone looking at stihl I would defo recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

With the exception of the Toro, all those brands are fairly generic machines, you'll notice quite a bit of commonality of parts. Next to the engine and sturdyness of the deck, wheels and drive would be the most important consideration. Not much point in putting 40+Kg of mower on thin plastic wheels without bearings. If you have any kind of serious slopes, especially banks where you travel laterally, this is a real test of wheels, and you could be looking for replacements within years if they're flimsy.
    I've seen that Proplus in Chadwicks, a fairly hefty and basic machine, it's also available around a few other stores if you Google; http://www.linwood.ie/landscaping-and-garden/proplus-56cm-sp-lawnmower-bs

Top brand names needn't cost more, I tyre kicked this HUSQVARNA LC 253S when out shopping, its has a sturdy composite deck, Decent B&S engine and quite solid wheels, it's selling in places for €515. At only slightly over 30 Kg, it's very maneuverable. I was tempted, but was looking for electric start.
    On that subject, the new generation electric start engines use a plug in lithium battery like a power tool, fast and easy to recharge indoors, with a 4 bar charge indicator.
    Electric start in combination with a 21"alloy deck narrows the field, the Cobra MX515SPBI with this and variable speed comes closest, but their 22" M56SPB pull start steel deck mower at €525 is well priced compared to generic brands.
    https://www.lawnmowerworld.ie/product-category/petrol-lawnmowers/

Just to come back on this, I purchased the HUSQVARNA LC 253S for €515 based on the feedback from deezell and blackbox. So far I have only used it a couple of times but am very impressed with it. Starting is easy, it's much larger than my old mower but no heavier so cutting takes half the time it used to. The collection bag is bigger and it's very easy to adjust the cutting height - it also seems quite light on the petrol consumption but maybe my old one was just a guzzler! It feels very well made and solid so hopefully I'll get many years out of it. Thanks again to deezell and blackbox for the recommendations.

...went and ordered stihl RM 650 T, the guys got the wrong one in(stihl RM 650 V),..so I ended up getting the V for 700 quid instead of 800! .....

My favourite kind of buyer experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I have a lawnmower that fails to start, it is reasonably new, only used a few times.
    I cleaned the carb, a few bits floating from dirty petrol. Now it will start but only if I spray a bit of petrol directly into carb but will splutter to a stop.
    any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

Hi All

Hoping someone can advise here - my brother had some version of this honda before and it was a really good mower. he broke the powerdrive and traded it in I think. A Friend of mine is looking at picking up one second hand

seems to be a few around - any thoughts or things he should look out for?

I know these had an independent blade clutch and power drive

I was juts telling im that these were a great mower and prob still are but didn't know anything about if you were buying a used one

HI there

So friend bought this and found there were some issues so he sold it to me for €80 - Ill use it as a little project. It possibly needs two cables the clutch one for sure and maybe the power drive. The mower started in one pull and engine ticks over nicely

any one give me some guidance on the steps to change these cables? specifically the clutch one to engage the blade - I have that one and its called the roto stop cable

stoneill wrote: »
    I have a lawnmower that fails to start, it is reasonably new, only used a few times.
    I cleaned the carb, a few bits floating from dirty petrol. Now it will start but only if I spray a bit of petrol directly into carb but will splutter to a stop.
    any ideas?

Is the petrol flowing freely from the tank fuel line?, tho it sounds like blocked jets in the carb itself. You'll need to probe any tiny holes with a fine strand of wire. Also remove needle valves, count the no of turns, probe and replace. If petrol is left in a mower for a long time it can sometimes lacquer the ports, needing a soak in solvent to rectify.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

HI there

So friend bought this and found there were some issues so he sold it to me for €80 - Ill use it as a little project. It possibly needs two cables the clutch one for sure and maybe the power drive. The mower started in one pull and engine ticks over nicely

any one give me some guidance on the steps to change these cables? specifically the clutch one to engage the blade - I have that one and its called the roto stop cable

Any one??
    any one give me some guidance on the steps to change these cables? specifically the clutch one to engage the blade

Any one??
    any one give me some guidance on the steps to change these cables? specifically the clutch one to engage the blade

You'll likely need to drop the blade to access the clutch mechanism on the shaft next to the engine. Does the cable disappear trough the deck to this area, or is there a visible terminanation of the cable to a mechanism over the deck, which would be handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Any one??

I replaced the clutch cable on my Honda Hrs536 a few months ago. I found a video on youtube of an Australian man doing it so I followed his steps. I'd imagine it's not too dissimilar.

• Advertisement

I replaced the clutch cable on my Honda Hrs536 a few months ago. I found a video on youtube of an Australian man doing it so I followed his steps. I'd imagine it's not too dissimilar.

Thats just the power drive though. The blade engage clutch is a much rarer high end push mower feature.

Advertisement