Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭deezell

gud wrote: »
    Hi sorry if this has been asked already. Looking to buy a new ride on. Budget is tight. I would prefer castlegarden. I have looked at a few and my size lawn requires a biggish one as it's large and hilly. €3000 is my budget but I can get a castle garden PTX 175 HD for €3200 with my local dealer. It's 20 hp twin cylinder but with a castle garden engine. I've been told Briggs and stratton engine are better but the price difference is too much for the same type model with B&S engine.
    Is the castlegarden engine reliable? Or would I be buying trouble?
    I wouldn't think so, the engines are their own but probably made in China or eastern Europe to their spec. Its the engines on spurious cheap generic mowers and tools that can be a bit dodgy, but regular oil level inspection and top up goes a long way. They may not have the same lifespan in the long run though, so if you would like 10-15 years out of the mower with tough terrain, I'd say thats feasible.
    I sold my 20 yo CG 102 which had consumed a good few non service chassis parts over the years, front axle, steering kingpins and links, rear differential (teenager abuse!), starter motor pinion, and voltage regulator, and of course a new cutting deck shell and chute. The seat was also wrecked. The B&S V twin engine though was immaculate, not a trace of smoke, oil never went black, perfect. It was bought by a guy with a younger TC102 with a blown single cylinder GGP engine. It figures I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ruffmut

I am looking at upgrading my 2006 castelgarden mower. My local dealer is selling Stiga mowers now. From my understanding these are made by the same company as castelgarden. The model I am looking at is the Stiga estate 3398H. It has a B&S Intek 7200 engine. Are the Stiga brand mowers good and what horsepower engine would this be. The area I would be cutting ia approx 3/4 acre.

https://www.stiga.ie/products/stiga-estate3398h-b-s-intek-7200-v-twin-2t2640281-st1.html?filter_set[]=206,53,57

ruffmut wrote: »
    I am looking at upgrading my 2006 castelgarden mower. My local dealer is selling Stiga mowers now. From my understanding these are made by the same company as castelgarden. The model I am looking at is the Stiga estate 3398H. It has a B&S Intek 7200 engine. Are the Stiga brand mowers good and what horsepower engine would this be. The area I would be cutting ia approx 3/4 acre.

https://www.stiga.ie/products/stiga-estate3398h-b-s-intek-7200-v-twin-2t2640281-st1.html?filter_set[]=206,53,57

There are a confusing amount of specs , variations and iterations of this mower, and thats before you start looking at its Castelgarden an Alpina equivalents. It's knocking around with single cylinder, twin, Stiga, Honda and B&S engines of various power levels.This version is well equipped with the v twin b&s, probably rated at 16bhp, but up to 20 depending on engine code fitted, 40R6 to 40R8. Plenty of power anyway, and smooth and quiet. Shop around, you might get it for 3 grand, no trade in, sell your own on the ads sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭theaaao

Anyone bought direct from Irish Mowers/AM Rentals up the north recently? What is the follow up service like if you needed it?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭CodeJACK

I'm looking for a mower that will easily care for my 200-250sqm of grass. Having read back over a few pages, I think I'd like this Toro but it it way over spec for what I need?
    https://www.bvsparts.ie/product/toro-21750-53cm/

I'd probably use the collector the most but I love cutting the grass so maybe the mulcher would become the most used and would save me money as I put a lot of clipping in the brown bin. I started putting them in the compost bin last year but there is just so much.

The grass is very think at times and if its in any way wet/damp, it clogs my existing 30+ year old mower that was donated to me by my dad once he restored it. We certainly got our moneys worth out if it :-)

Any other recommendations for me with that sort of budget and use? Any point chasing a Honda engine or Briggs?
    I'd rather buy from Irish stock so if there are any links to deals, please let me know and ill ring to make sure they actually have the stock.

Or this one maybe?
    https://www.bvsparts.ie/product/weibang-506-scv-pro/

Two very large mowers for such a small area, lots of arm wrestling, turning and twisting. The Toro is compact enough, ( it has a briggs ane stratton engine btw), only 30kg, the Wieibang close to 50kg A smaller cut mower will reduce weight, give longer to enjoy the mowing as you assert, and will be better for awkward corners. Maybe a 42 or 46 cm cut. This composite deck husqvarna is 27kg
    https://www.atkins.ie/garden-machinery/mowers/lawn-mowers/husqvarna-lc247-lawnmower-hvlc247
    Plenty big enough, lighter, no rust.
    Or perhaps blow your budget in a top end battery mower, no petrol, noise, pull starting etc. Starting with something like this,
    https://www.atkins.ie/garden-machinery/batteries-powered/battery-mowers/husqvarna-lc141i-battery-lawnmower-hvlc141i
    Or at the high end, this
    https://monaghanhire.com/products/stihl-rm-545-ve-electric-start-push-lawnmower

Thanks deezell.
    The cutting desk on what I have right now is 18" and I thought it was too small. There does not seem to be a lot in 20". I thought a bigger deck might clear the clippings better and clog less???

OK, ill look for others that are lighter but I'd rather stick with Petrol while I still can. Noise and smell is part of the process that I like :-)

Am I wasting my time with a mulcher option do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

any feedback guys?

CodeJACK wrote: »
    Thanks deezell.
    The cutting desk on what I have right now is 18" and I thought it was too small. There does not seem to be a lot in 20". I thought a bigger deck might clear the clippings better and clog less???

OK, ill look for others that are lighter but I'd rather stick with Petrol while I still can. Noise and smell is part of the process that I like :-)

Am I wasting my time with a mulcher option do you think?

No, if you like mowing, you'll need to mow twice as often for proper mulch and dispersal of clippings, otherwise it clumps on the grass, comes indoors, causes moss so they say, etc. If its overdue. wet and heavy, you can bag that one. Are you sure your site is only 200-250 m2? Thats about 15m square, hardly 15 minutes work even with an 18", but get the 21"/53cm Toro, you can mow twice a week in minutes.

• Advertisement

Not exactly accurate but a ballpark. The front garden would be 15msq.
    garden-size.jpg

If I could get this but in Ireland I think it covers all my needs and way more:
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/marina-systems-ma-46-sh-heavy-duty-lawn-mower-4-in-1-honda-gcvx170-engine-p-15984.html

CodeJACK wrote: »
    Not exactly accurate but a ballpark. The front garden would be 15msq.
    garden-size.jpg

If I could get this but in Ireland I think it covers all my needs and way more:
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/marina-systems-ma-46-sh-heavy-duty-lawn-mower-4-in-1-honda-gcvx170-engine-p-15984.html

Forget the stupid UK. Here it is, same price when Irish vat added. Free delivery.

https://www.agrieuro.de/rasenmaher-marina-systems-ma-46-sh-4-in-1-motor-honda-gcvx170-p-15984.html

Yeah, i was only using the UK site for translation. I have a question over to them now about availability and any restrictions shipping here at the mo.

There is too much choice now with that site lol.
    Stainless version of that mower with a slight spec change:
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/marina-systems-mx-41-sh-gcv-160-stainless-steel-lawn-mower-with-honda-engine-160-cc-p-15618.html
    EDIT: Ah, no mulcher and also out of stock :-(

Its a shame more Irish sites don't have a website system like AgriEuro. Of all the support the Gov could/should have offered business here, its the ability to present their stock online that should have been prioritized by the Gov. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

from my experience the more hp the better when comparing. The chonda clones can be hit or miss, though regular oil changes and deck washing pay dividends. Spend as much as you can up front you want to get as long as you can from them. The newer stuff isnt as durable in my opinion as the oldrt stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

from my experience the more hp the better when comparing. The chonda clones can be hit or miss, though regular oil changes and deck washing pay dividends. Spend as much as you can up front you want to get as long as you can from them. The newer stuff isnt as durable in my opinion as the oldrt stuff.

I forgot to add get a self propelled ......wife or partner/kids can help

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

I was looking at a Solo Elko 17.5 Hp. 40" cut ride-on. Are they a good make. Any help would be appreciated.

hillbloom wrote: »
    I was looking at a Solo Elko 17.5 Hp. 40" cut ride-on. Are they a good make. Any help would be appreciated.

Made by Al-Ko, a German brand also known for trailer and suspensions. Solo variants manufactured in Austria. Respected brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭tombrown

A side benefit of lockdowns is having to trust myself to undertake what I would normally trust to a shop. Last year I had to replace the drive belt on my Castelgarden ride on, and, despite misgivings, it went smoothly.

So this year I decided to service the engine myself - fairly straightforward. As well as the normal, oil, plug & filters change I charged up the battery, and was delighted the mower started up almost immediately after 5 months of hibernation. I just let it run for 5 mins or so then turned it off again (haven't used it in anger yet)

Except, two days later it is struggling to start, as the motor struggles to turn over when I turn the key.

There is a workaround repair from years ago (done by a real mechanic), with a tap on the fuel line to get around a problem with the carburetor (I think). I had forgotten to close this. So I did the trick I had seen them do before - removed the plug & turned the engine over to flush out the excess - this worked fine & the engine turned over freely.

But putting the plug back in takes it back to struggling and not starting.

I am sure there is a simple fix here (that doesn't involve replacing major parts), if someone can advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

tombrown wrote: »
    A side benefit of lockdowns is having to trust myself to undertake what I would normally trust to a shop. Last year I had to replace the drive belt on my Castelgarden ride on, and, despite misgivings, it went smoothly.

So this year I decided to service the engine myself - fairly straightforward. As well as the normal, oil, plug & filters change I charged up the battery, and was delighted the mower started up almost immediately after 5 months of hibernation. I just let it run for 5 mins or so then turned it off again (haven't used it in anger yet)

Except, two days later it is struggling to start, as the motor struggles to turn over when I turn the key.

There is a workaround repair from years ago (done by a real mechanic), with a tap on the fuel line to get around a problem with the carburetor (I think). I had forgotten to close this. So I did the trick I had seen them do before - removed the plug & turned the engine over to flush out the excess - this worked fine & the engine turned over freely.

But putting the plug back in takes it back to struggling and not starting.

I am sure there is a simple fix here (that doesn't involve replacing major parts), if someone can advise?

Is the engine struggling to spin over or struggling to fire up. If struggling to spin the first point would be to charge up battery. It’s probably a sealed battery so would need a slow suitable charger. If it’s just spinning without firing up then it may be the carburetor which needs to be cleaned. Not sure if your mower has fuel cut off solenoid, but it could also be that. I’m assuming tapping carb was either to free up a sticky float or bad fuel cut off.
    - sorry I read “tap” incorrectly as you are obviously referring to manual fuel valve”

Needles73 wrote: »
    Is the engine struggling to spin over or struggling to fire up. If struggling to spin the first point would be to charge up battery. It’s probably a sealed battery so would need a slow suitable charger. If it’s just spinning without firing up then it may be the carburetor which needs to be cleaned. Not sure if your mower has fuel cut off solenoid, but it could also be that. I’m assuming tapping carb was either to free up a sticky float or bad fuel cut off.

Thanks

Its struggling to spin.

It spun fine with the plug out, but when I put it back in it just turned slowly once or twice then stopped. the battery was fully charged (on a slow charger) before, when it started 2 days ago. I can charge it again, but would it really discharge to that extent after 5 mins of engine running & 2 days of no use?

Anyway, I'll take it out and put it back on the charger for a bit

• Advertisement

Check rhe oil level, it may be too high and contaminated with petrol if it leeched from the carb into the cylinder because of your previous problem.
    When you say struggling to start, do mean it's barely turning over?. Perhaps the battery is poor, it only started previously straight off the charger? Try charging again overnight. If you have some jump leads, try them.
    If it is still turning over slowly, check the battery connections are tight, also the connection to the starter motor, rhe battery terminal to the mower chassis, and the connections to the starter switch ir solenoid. These thick cable connectors can be slighly loose or oxidised, and can give interrmittent high resistance at any connection, a real pain, turns fine one minute, slowly the next.
    Did you add some fresh petrol? Not the best to start it on the dregs from last year, uf it wasn't drained over the winter, at least a few litres of new into the old.
    If it is petrol in the oil, you'll have to drain completely and refill.

Thanks

Its struggling to spin.

It spun fine with the plug out, but when I put it back in it just turned slowly once or twice then stopped. the battery was fully charged (on a slow charger) before, when it started 2 days ago. I can charge it again, but would it really discharge to that extent after 5 mins of engine running & 2 days of no use?

Anyway, I'll take it out and put it back on the charger for a bit

If it was fully charged it should have held it you would imagine. How old is mower/battery?
    I would re-charge battery and try again. If mower starts measure voltage at battery, it should be 13-14v which would indicate mower charging circuit is ok. It should be closer to 12 when mower off.
    Also as other poster said check connections at starter and solenoid.
    I’m not a big fan of jump starting mowers but I do it. If your battery voltage is very low and you jump start it and remove the leads it can apparently but too much strain on charging circuit. Having said that I have never had an issue.

Pretty sure its not an oil problem - I only just changed the oil & the levels are good.

When I previously started it, it was from the battery, not the charger, so it was fine then.

I do have the hood off, with the lights disconnected - I doubt that could causer the battery to discharge, unless maybe some moisture in the open connector is shorting the connection

I'll try charge the battery and try again, keeping an eye on voltages. I think the battery is 4 or 5 years old, so maybe it needs replacing ...

Also - note that, with the spark plug out, the engineer turns freely when I try it, so I think that would rule out poor connections, right? It just struggles to overcome the resistance when the plug is in

Oh - and to answer Needles question, the mower is about 15 years old, but runs like a dream (once started) :)

Also - note that, with the spark plug out, the engineer turns freely when I try it, so I think that would rule out poor connections, right? It just struggles to overcome the resistance when the plug is in

Oh - and to answer Needles question, the mower is about 15 years old, but runs like a dream (once started) :)

No, it wouldn’t fully rule out poor connections. With plugs out starter will draw less current as less load to overcome. Bad connections will be more prevalent when load is higher, ie overcoming compression part of stroke with plugs in situ

If the petrol can leak, hence cutoff valve, there is a possibility that a substantial amount ended up in the oil. This would make starting and turning over difficult, especially as petrol vapourises and creates back pressure, and also over enriches the mix via the venting. I had this problem with a generator, pull start but it was stiff to pull, then barely ran as if the choke was on. About a half litre of petrol in the oil, the generator had been pushed over partly on its side, the fuel tap open and fuel leaked into the cylinder.

Pretty sure its not an oil problem - I only just changed the oil & the levels are good.

When I previously started it, it was from the battery, not the charger, so it was fine then.

I do have the hood off, with the lights disconnected - I doubt that could causer the battery to discharge, unless maybe some moisture in the open connector is shorting the connection

I'll try charge the battery and try again, keeping an eye on voltages. I think the battery is 4 or 5 years old, so maybe it needs replacing ...

Is mower kept inside when not in use ?

Needles73 wrote: »
    Is mower kept inside when not in use ?

Yes, its in the garage.

TBH I have had this issue occasionally before, and jump started the mower. At the time just assumed it was poor battery, just wasn't convinced this time as battery was recently charged.

I'll charge up & check all connections.

I also heard jump starting was bad for it, though have done it a number of times over the years, so want to avoid that if I can

Update - I just took the battery out & hooked it to the charger. It is showing half full- in fact even less than when it first hooked it up to charge after its winter hibernation.

I guess that will probably resolve the problem (fingers crossed), but I may now need to find out why it is draining ... hoping it was just the repeated attempts to start the engine that did it

• Advertisement

Update - I just took the battery out & hooked it to the charger. It is showing half full- in fact even less than when it first hooked it up to charge after its winter hibernation.

I guess that will probably resolve the problem (fingers crossed), but I may now need to find out why it is draining ... hoping it was just the repeated attempts to start the engine that did it

Yeah, starting a mower takes a fair bit from a small battery and the charging circuits on typical mowers are marginal at times. A good run ideally cutting the grass is the job. Do check the voltage with battery in place and engine running. I’m assuming it’s a briggs engine. Just confirm you are getting a healthy charging voltage. The stator winding or voltage regulator can go faulty but it sounds like all your mower needs is tall grass and a sunny day.

Advertisement