Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭babyjames

Thanks discodog have it taken apart now deck came out very easy,I'm now stumped on how to release the toothed belt??? and ideas.

Rgds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

Hey babyjames, got exactly the same problem since the weekend (also Castlegarden 102/17hp) . Twine wrapped around one of the blades, a bit of smoke and screeching, now one of the baldes is out by 90 degress and they are clashing.

There were 4 bolts holding the deck in place, 2 of them secured with split pins. I now have the deck out but can't get the black plastic cover off to access the toothed belt - the main drive pulley needs removed and it looks like it is force fitted so I need a "pulley puller" to remove it.

I am going to check this with the local service agent before I go any further, in case I am missing an easy way around this.

Hi Scartbeg I had no problem removing the main pulley just used a socket set but be carefull when you pull it up, there is a metal piece that sits into a groove on the inside of the pulley and the shaft I lost it and spent an hour or so looking for it, Never figured out how to loosen the toothed belt if u do let me know please, As it turned out one of the metal pieces that the blades are screwed onto had broke There are 2 pins that sit into two holes on the blade and they had sheared of, I also had to replace the blades as the ends had chunks missing from them were they had hit off each other .They cost me 28 euro each and a second hand spindle 8 euro. Might be worth your wile checking that pproach first.

Rgds

QUOTE=Scartbeg;68594053]Hey babyjames, got exactly the same problem since the weekend (also Castlegarden 102/17hp) . Twine wrapped around one of the blades, a bit of smoke and screeching, now one of the baldes is out by 90 degress and they are clashing.

There were 4 bolts holding the deck in place, 2 of them secured with split pins. I now have the deck out but can't get the black plastic cover off to access the toothed belt - the main drive pulley needs removed and it looks like it is force fitted so I need a "pulley puller" to remove it.

I am going to check this with the local service agent before I go any further, in case I am missing an easy way around this.[/QUOTE]

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Bought me a new lawnmower!! :)

Got it off these lads in Tuam http://www.lawnandgarden.ie/, they were mentioned on here, very happy with them to be honest and from good advice from a certain boards.ie member, I decided to purchase!

It won't be delivered until Feb/Mar so that is spot on.

Got the "cheap" Husky, a Jonsered.
    http://www.lawnandgarden.ie/proddetail.asp?prod=LT2217CMA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Fair do's.....Roll on the spring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭THE LINK WALSH

yop wrote: »
    Bought me a new lawnmower!! :)

Got it off these lads in Tuam http://www.lawnandgarden.ie/, they were mentioned on here, very happy with them to be honest and from good advice from a certain boards.ie member, I decided to purchase!

It won't be delivered until Feb/Mar so that is spot on.

Got the "cheap" Husky, a Jonsered.
    http://www.lawnandgarden.ie/proddetail.asp?prod=LT2217CMA

Go back and ask them to sell you a similar sized Castlegarden and you wont go wrong,Kohler engines arent the best.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Go back and ask them to sell you a similar sized Castlegarden and you wont go wrong,Kohler engines arent the best.

That has a briggs and stratton engine:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭THE LINK WALSH

yop wrote: »
    That has a briggs and stratton engine:confused:

B&S cant be as bad as the Kohler engine,a small operator I know sold around 20 Husqvarnas in one Season and got around 8 of them back within 12 Months with the engine siezed,he had a pallet of fecked engines in his garage,this was in 2008,might have only been a bad batch but it wouldnt encourage me towards Jonsered or Husq,saying that i bought a new Husq strimmer this Year for €750.

Ive had a few Castlegardens and havent had any bother,some of the smaller units are underpowered in tough conditions though,I have a Castlegarden 22HP Briggs&Stratton twin cylinder mower at the moment,bought it in 2008 going very well,ive 145hrs on it without any bother it handles the wet grass well eneogh,had 15.5hp before this that never gave trouble but wasnt a good performer.

Another thing to consider is that the Jonsered/Husq arent a comfortable mower for a tall person,yer sitting very high over the steering wheel,Castegarden/Honda are designed a bit better.

B&S cant be as bad as the Kohler engine,a small operator I know sold around 20 Husqvarnas in one Season and got around 8 of them back within 12 Months with the engine siezed,he had a pallet of fecked engines in his garage,this was in 2008,might have only been a bad batch but it wouldnt encourage me towards Jonsered or Husq,saying that i bought a new Husq strimmer this Year for €750.

Ive had a few Castlegardens and havent had any bother,some of the smaller units are underpowered in tough conditions though,I have a Castlegarden 22HP Briggs&Stratton twin cylinder mower at the moment,bought it in 2008 going very well,ive 145hrs on it without any bother it handles the wet grass well eneogh,had 15.5hp before this that never gave trouble but wasnt a good performer.

Another thing to consider is that the Jonsered/Husq arent a comfortable mower for a tall person,yer sitting very high over the steering wheel,Castegarden/Honda are designed a bit better.

Ahhh, its horse for courses as they say, There's always these stories on ALL brands like you hear with car or tractors or lorries or whatever ;)
    The B&S engine in the Jony will be fine, they're a good mower and I'm tall and I've yet to find ANY mower thats comfortable for me......never mind this brand.
    I have owned,bought and sold more mowers that hot dinners and rate Castel/CG & Jons/Husky very highly with the B&S power.:pac:

Thanks for the feedback on that anyway, will see how it goes but have had good feedback on the Jonsered so we will see how it goes.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 dadam

have need to buy 3rd mower, already have a hayter harry self propelled and a castlegarden push mower and was looking at a viking??!! anyone got any experience of these? bn quoted 800 yo yos

There' a few vikings round, but only a few.
    what is it powered by?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭FREDNISMO

just wondering has anybody any experience using makita petrol lawnmowers or is there any problems with them also seen a ryobi lawnmower wiyh a 190cc subaru engine and mulcher it has also a wider cut 21" than the makita 18" and is coming in about 175 euro less, any advice welcomed

Well, I've a Ryobi strimmer a few years and its a great yoke. Mind you, I treat it well so it treats me well.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Ransolmes Albatross

Just wondering whether anybody here has ever heard of a Ransolmes Albatross or might know where I would pick one up?
    I do not mind rebuilding an old mower.

thanks.

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Ransolmes Albatross

Just wondering whether anybody here has ever heard of a Ransolmes Albatross or might know where I would pick one up?
    I do not mind rebuilding an old mower.

thanks.

no,sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

They were a pedestrian rear discharge cylinder mower. Circa 1970s/80s.The large grass box was behind the cylinder. 20-24 inch cut. They were capable of cutting slightly longer or rougher grass than the more typical Ransomes Cylinder mowers.
    I also vaguely remember an American copy of the Albatross that was imported for a few years. It had a red and white deck with a B&S engine (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The maker name is spelt Ransomes but there is no indication of the name Albatross. I would suggest that you need to be sure of the model name or number. These guys may be able to help:

http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/aboutmowers/home

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

Looking to buy a ride on. have a big lawn ~ half acre.
    42 - 48" cut required
    20 - 25 hp engine.

Budget < 2.5K

Dont know an awful lot about mowers and makes.

Hear that anything with a B&S engine are the best out there.

any recommendations?

Half acres not a big lawn - is it all flat ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

flat lawn - just on a very slight incline from road to house. lets bump it up to .75 of an acre...

Still a manageable size - depends if you want some grunt to go get a V twin mower or the like which will be well close to and over 3k.

You'd get a 15.5hp hydrobox mower for €2500 easy.
    Better still and just as good for your job, is a 13.5hp castel with a manual box for round €1800. They fill the bag well, empty well from the seat, very reliable and parts everywhere, good back up too.
    The hydro version is great too.
    The 2 engines to watch out for are Honda and B&S - they 2 best out there. Then there's yamaha and kohler......in 3rd and 4th place.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Hi

Living near Waterford City..looking for dealers in ride-ons in the south east..any thoughts?

Thanks

Tee

Teebor try this guy I have bought two from him,He is in Slieverue

FS Power equipment tel 051 833222

rgds

\
    Teebor15 wrote: »
    Hi

Living near Waterford City..looking for dealers in ride-ons in the south east..any thoughts?

Thanks

Tee

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Still a manageable size - depends if you want some grunt to go get a V twin mower or the like which will be well close to and over 3k.

You'd get a 15.5hp hydrobox mower for €2500 easy.
    Better still and just as good for your job, is a 13.5hp castel with a manual box for round €1800. They fill the bag well, empty well from the seat, very reliable and parts everywhere, good back up too.
    The hydro version is great too.
    The 2 engines to watch out for are Honda and B&S - they 2 best out there. Then there's yamaha and kohler......in 3rd and 4th place.

If you go another 200 euro on that you can get the full sized chassis castel with the 15" front wheels and the 18" rear wheels. Not the same machine as you would buy in the DIY chain stores such as B&Q etc

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Chipbutty

Looking at purchasing a ride on lawnmower. Garden size is 1.5 acres. After some research, I am thinking of buying the Castlegarden XT 175 HD, if any one has any experience or knowledge of the mower let me know.

Chipbutty wrote: »
    Looking at purchasing a ride on lawnmower. Garden size is 1.5 acres. After some research, I am thinking of buying the Castlegarden XT 175 HD, if any one has any experience or knowledge of the mower let me know.

It is the exact same machine as the XT190, except it has the Honda twin cylinder engine. Same cutting deck, same chassis etc. If it was me I would buy it before I would buy the Honda 40 inch lawnmower as it is by far better value for money and the standard features are better than those on the Honda, including the free mulching kit and tow bar. The only thing is there is no under-deck fan to assist with the bagging, but in my experience I have never had a complaint regarding bagging on the Castelgardens.

Thanks

It is the exact same machine as the XT190, except it has the Honda twin cylinder engine. Same cutting deck, same chassis etc. If it was me I would buy it before I would buy the Honda 40 inch lawnmower as it is by far better value for money and the standard features are better than those on the Honda, including the free mulching kit and tow bar. The only thing is there is no under-deck fan to assist with the bagging, but in my experience I have never had a complaint regarding bagging on the Castelgardens.

Hi best price on xt175 is €3200 and the Honda is €3495 both with mulcher and towbar. Apart from the larger bag (by 20 litres) is there anything else extra on the xt175?

• Advertisement

Chipbutty wrote: »
    Hi best price on xt175 is €3200 and the Honda is €3495 both with mulcher and towbar. Apart from the larger bag (by 20 litres) is there anything else extra on the xt175?

If it is the 2011 XT175 I think it will have the cruise control, new steering system and new pedal design. I say this as we have the 2011 XT190 and it has the new features and as far as I know the new XT175 will have them too. They also will have the LCD computer display that shows you the hours on the machine.

Advertisement