Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Best not to put it completely on it's side, although if you must, firstly try and ensure the air filter/ carburettor is uppermost and perhaps wedge the mower at an angle with some timber or something so it isn't lying flat on the ground.

Good luck.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

Hi Folks,

I want to buy a Honda Lawn mower and was wondering if anyone could tell me why the €1200 ones are so much better than the €600 ones. I have a .7 acre site and will cut the neighbours lawn so probally have about .75 of actual grass to cut.

What would convience me to part company with more money is if folks think
    the cut is easier to do
    the mower lasts longer
    less repair needed
    the cut is faster to do

There is some gentle slopes on the site though nothing too bad.

If I spend €1200 I want a top end machine, I reckon a ride on would cost more which is something even for a few hundred more is totally out of the question and I reckon they would be expensive eventually to repair.

Thanks,

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hi Paul,

Very quickly, 1) The more expensive the Hondas generally the wider, and also you get a bigger grass bag, you might also find they have slightly more "grunt" 2)Unfortunately I don't have any experience of the cheaper Hondas, but my HRH536Qx has lasted perfectly for 7 years with routine maintenance and the engine is a sweet as a nut! 3) answered hopefully in (2) 4) Not sure if much faster, but larger grass bag and perhaps slightly more efficient cut through more "rgrunt" and perhaps better airflow.

Basically, I would go for the best I could comfortably afford, go for the lower end, it shouldn't really make much difference, and anyway, the one I have is meant for daily professional use it even has the bumper on the front! lol

I don't see why you shouldn't get the cheaper one and enjoy it for many years to come.

Happy mowing!

Hope this helps.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 big fellow

My 2nd hand 12 year old john Deere 18.5HP just died, is it wirth replacing the engine?

Father in law got a Castlegarden 13.5HP loves it but thinks its too small for me?

Who is the cheapest in the Limerick region, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Hi, I have posted this in a separate post, but probably should have just asked it here - sorry!

I'm looking at buying a Tanaka TBC 240PFS brushcutter. It'll be used to keep grass, weeds and briars (possibly some gorse) under control around the edges of my 4 acre site. It'll also be used to keep manners on growth in some parts within the boundaries of the site, but not the whole 4 acres.

I don't plan to use it to cut trees (!) but it will be dealing with lots of big weeds and lots of briars and some bushy growth regularly.

The shop says the 23cc 2-stroke engine on the Tanaka will do the job just fine and will last for years. It's good value - €289.

Is the 23cc engine enough or should I be going for a bigger (28cc or 30cc) engine to cut through the weeds faster and to keep the engine in good nick longer?

What alternatives would you look at for my site? Max budget is €350. I'm not a brand junkie so I don't care what make it is so long as it's good smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

big fellow wrote: »
    My 2nd hand 12 year old john Deere 18.5HP just died, is it wirth replacing the engine?

Father in law got a Castlegarden 13.5HP loves it but thinks its too small for me?

Who is the cheapest in the Limerick region, anyone know?

www.amrentals.co.uk deliver new lawnmowers nationwide. An 18.5hp briggs and stratton engine is upwards of 600.00 euro or slightly more.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shotgun_TEXAS

can anyone help me i bought a westwood S1100 ride on mower its 1986 but runs and looks like new apart from the belt is slipping like mad the belt is well shot im getting a new one. the deck was off it when i got it and as im not used to ride ons i ama bit confused how the deck belt goes on its a 36'' deck basically it runs from the pulley on the engine to the deck in a triangular position but there is another pulley on the left hand side on a solid shaft i have run every configuration possible with this and it simply wont stay on that pulley so i removed it altogether which makes more sense to because like i said it was on a solid shaft.
    Any help would be great folks its a great runner 11hp B&S engine ill keep my fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

post a pic of the pulley set up, and we'll see if we can help you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

Hi All,

I have a castlegarden ride on lawnmower in which the engine keeps cutting out with an audible noise
    The bookelet refers to

A. an earthed micro-switch, check connections. Where is this micro-switch? How can I test a micro-switch?

B. Battery not charged - I have tested the battery and it appears to be OK.

C. Overvoltage caused by the charge regulator - how can I verify this?

D. Badly connected battery (poor contact) - I have tightened the battery screws as much as possible. The lead connectors/terminals were a little out of shape but I was able to reshape.

E. engine badly earthed - check engine earth connection. It appears to be OK and is not loose. Is there a way to test the earth cable?

This is really doing my head in. This doesn't just happen while cutting, it can occur while just driving and even in idle.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

LK_Dave wrote: »

D. Badly connected battery (poor contact) - I have tightened the battery screws as much as possible. The lead connectors/terminals were a little out of shape but I was able to reshape.

Make sure the nuts & bolts connecting the terminals to the battery are not corroded/rusted, if they are then change them.

As stated in a previous post i was having trouble starting my ride on, and by doing the above it did the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

fryup wrote: »
    Make sure the nuts & bolts connecting the terminals to the battery are not corroded/rusted, if they are then change them.

As stated in a previous post i was having trouble starting my ride on, and by doing the above it did the trick.

I have already done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Hi All,

I have a castlegarden ride on lawnmower in which the engine keeps cutting out with an audible noise
    The bookelet refers to

A. an earthed micro-switch, check connections. Where is this micro-switch? How can I test a micro-switch?

B. Battery not charged - I have tested the battery and it appears to be OK.

C. Overvoltage caused by the charge regulator - how can I verify this?

E. engine badly earthed - check engine earth connection. It appears to be OK and is not loose. Is there a way to test the earth cable?

This is really doing my head in. This doesn't just happen while cutting, it can occur while just driving and even in idle.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

AFAIK the micro switch on ride on mowers is under the seat. I think it is a protection device to cut the engine when the seat is unoccupied.

A cheap battery tester available in motor factors will show if there is over voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have already done this.

Get yourself a cheap multimeter from Maplin - useful for all kinds of jobs. You can then see the voltage across the battery terminals & easily check all the microswitches.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?criteria=multimeter

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nedireland

Hi

I have a push lawnmower (snapper) at moment and looking to upgrade.

I have been told by local lawnmower sales guy that he has a Wizard Hydrostatic with mulcher available secondhand which is about 4 seaons old. he is looking for €1500.

Also have seen an ad for a Poulan Pro 38" 12.5hp mower new for €1500.

Anyone any thoughts on either?

Basically I have about €1000 to spend with my own (worth approx €500) - any other ideas a great help.

thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

/\ - personally I'd stick to a brand like a castlegarden or similar. Good parts back up and very reliable.

Are Castlegarden that good? My neighbour has a push one and its rubbish.

nedireland wrote: »
    Are Castlegarden that good? My neighbour has a push one and its rubbish.

they're excellent........yer neighbours probably one of 3 people -

1)those who don't know how to use a mower properly
    2)those who don't ever service their machine yet when it breaks down they tell everyone its shyte.
    3)he's just an ediot :pac:

hmm - how do you know my neighbours? Do you live that close to us? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnthonyB

I was wondering about a craftsman rideon lawnmower 19.5 hp 42", offered for 2,600 with a collector and mulching plug. The guy (reputable dealer) said he was importing them from the US. But on US sites, these things are going for less than $1,000 (probably extra for the collector and mulching kit). HUGE difference.

So - has anyone actually imported a lawnmower before? Is shipping expensive? Is there import duty? Any mechanical issues?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

I would appreciate thoughts on the following Lawnmowers please:

Honda HRG 563 SDE - 5.5Hp, 21" cut BUT Steel Deck

SandriGarden Britech Mower , 21 inch alloy deck with 5.5hp 160cc Honda engine - don't know much about this brand but tempted by Honda engine

Castlegarden Alpina Premium 5000 SAB
    http://www.alpinagarden.com/products/en/premium-5000-asb.html
    6.5Hp ??? - can't find this online to confirm but thats what I was told at the dealers (but have been given wrong info on other models re Hp at the same dealers!)- Only a 19" cut but thats not the end of the world

Theres not much in the difference price wise in these

Its a garden about 1/3 acre - may use ride-on some of the time and just use this as a 'tidy up' mower or may use to do entire lawn depending on mood:p

Any thoughts (or other recs) appreciated

• Advertisement

AnthonyB wrote: »
    Is shipping expensive? Is there import duty? Any mechanical issues?

Thanks!

Yes, yes, and no, but you'd have no warranty.
    You'd also have VAT to pay here too, as its new and from outside the EU.
    Still, all said and calculated, you'd have some sort of saving no doubt, just don't know how big it'd be is all to guage if its worth it.

Only wrote: »
    I would appreciate thoughts on the following Lawnmowers please:

Honda HRG 563 SDE - 5.5Hp, 21" cut BUT Steel Deck

This is from the Honda Izy range so very lightweight & the engine is easily tweaked so that it will go like a rocket.

I have a 21" Honda Pro Roller rrp €1600 & a 16" Izy that cost €295. I use the Izy all the time because it is fast, light & very manoeuvrable.

You can make big savings buying them on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Thanks for the reply Discodog ... that Honda model number should read 536 (not a 563)
    What do you think of the deck? How long realistically would a steel Deck last ... OH mightn't be the best in the world cleaning it down:o
    I checked ebay but can actually get a better deal at a local dealers - €600 (unless I'm missing something on ebay? ... ) BUT the dealer is really pushing the Castlegarden one with the B&S engine - says the newer B&S engine and 20yrs on the deck (theres very little in the price between the 2)

If a 19" is OK then maybe worth considering an 18" Izzy - I think that they are about £400 on ebay.

£600 is pretty good for a ROI price on the 21".

The Honda's have a three year warranty. The deck is thin & mine has a couple of little stone dents. I have not noticed any rusting so far. I suspect that a Honda steel deck will last pretty well & it wont crack as some aluminium decks can. Many pro gardeners prefer steel decks.

You are always much better buying in November. The prices plummet :D. Also you can sometimes get shop soiled Hondas on ebay that still have a full three year warranty.

The Izy came out top in the Which survey & Gardeners World.

I got mine from here & they were excellent.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-18-HRG465SD-HRG-465-SD-SELF-DRIVE-IZY-LAWNMOWER-/400219392898?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item5d2eef4b82

EDIT If an Izy seems too cheap it may be the push version rather than the self propelled. One other thought. The Izy is designed to be a lawn mower rather than a rough cutter. It's lightness would be a disadvantage over rough ground but it cuts lawns really nicely.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Yes, yes, and no, but you'd have no warranty.
    You'd also have VAT to pay here too, as its new and from outside the EU.
    Still, all said and calculated, you'd have some sort of saving no doubt, just don't know how big it'd be is all to guage if its worth it.

Thanks, I think I'm going to stay local. It's a huge difference, but knowing my track record with machines, something's bound to go wrong, and I'll be in trouble if it's an import. And the wife would never forgive me after the "Internet strimmer" incident :D

As an aside - I have about 1.2acres of grass, .4 acre lawn and .8 acre meadow - do folks reckon the Craftsman LT 2000 42" 19.5HP machine is ok? The sales guy kept saying mulching was useless and collecting was useless on a lawn that size, I should go for a more expensive machine with side discharge...

..avoid Side Discharge if you are going to collect..........it'll just clog.........end of.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    ..avoid Side Discharge if you are going to collect..........it'll just clog.........end of.

Yeah, neighbour has one, says it's a disaster for collecting. but the sales guy was saying not to bother with the collecting, and get a bigger machine. Sounds like a mess, frankly, even if it's a bigger job to mow with the collector.

I've made my mind up - am going with the slightly smaller machine (42", not 46"), Craftsman LT2000 instead of the Snapper ELT 2246. Rear collector with mulching deck (whether it works or not).

Will post a review in a couple of weeks.

AnthonyB wrote: »
    .....I've made my mind up - am going with the slightly smaller machine (42", not 46"), Craftsman LT2000 instead of the Snapper ELT 2246. Rear collector with mulching deck (whether it works or not).

Will post a review in a couple of weeks.

As promised, a review - got the machine, the craftsman lt 2000 19.5HP for €2600. I have about 1.25 acres to cut, one third lawn the rest meadow. By the time I got the machine it was pretty long, and in a few places it was two feet long. I collected everything first time round. Plan was / is to collect off the lawn piece in future, and multch the meadow part.

Everything worked extremely well. Only hitch was the first time I went to use it the day after the guy delivered it, the battery was flat - jumped it off the car (ignition off) and it worked perfect after that. It's not shy on petrol, I went and bought a 20L can for that. It took a while to mow the grass and collect and tip, but it never cut out; it did block several times, which is a bit of a pain, but only where the grass was really really long. You have to take off the bin, pull out the shoot, and get something to clear out the last foot or so near the blades - I used a hoe. For a finish I just mulched those really long bits.

I find the machine easy to use, powerful, and comfortable. The start is perfect, the cut is great (the big lawn area had lovely lines, and cross hatching where I'd gone back over some areas). The turning angle isn't great, but in a big area that's not really a problem. It gets up hills easily.

The dealer was Geaney & O'Neill (www.thelawnmowerman.ie) who have places in Tallow and Cork (Glanmire). The delivery was near immediate, and the guy who delivered it was extremely patient and detailed in helping me to understand everything (my first ride-on) and gave me his mobile phone for any problems. Stayed for well over an hour at half seven in the evening. Kudos. For servicing they do pick up and return for €25, which seems reasonable, and I'd probably go for that even if I had a trailer.

Since the first collect-cut I've mowed the whole thing again and it flew around. Mulching worked fine, though I think I could have let it grow for another few days to really test it. Still, great machine altogether. All in all very pleased. Hopefully I won't have to test the warranty! And of course its longevity will be another test. Only time will tell that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jingojonson

Need Advice

Looking for ride on lawnmower recommendation, want hydrostatic. budget between 2000 and 2700. ANy advice?

• Advertisement

Need Advice

Looking for ride on lawnmower recommendation, want hydrostatic. budget between 2000 and 2700. ANy advice?

castel 13.5 hp hydro - can't go wrong, I've one and its all you need in a mower.

Advertisement