Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

Discodog wrote: »
    I have been using Hondas for many years. The blade clutch mowers have just become too expensive - the 21inch is twice the price of the IZY. It does offer hydro but it's just too dear.

Many of my pro gardening contacts are switching to Izys.

The best mower for Ireland is an Etesia - will collect perfectly in pouring rain but costs a fortune. Rover & Masport are also good wet collectors.

Great I find this out now!! :) Your right they are very pricey and the Izy has that great reputation as a nifty easy mover. I still think the one I have is very good but it did clog with grass a few times, but the lawn was very thick after three months of growth from seed and I put down a lot of seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I know contractors who pay £300+ for 5 year old ex Council Etesias. A guy on ebay ships them by the pallet load. The key is that they do not have a rear axle. The rear wheels are on stub axles driven by chains from an overhead shaft. So there is nothing to get in the way of clippings between the blade & the collector.

One dealer in the UK demos them by soaking 6 inch grass with a hose & the mower collects every blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 poxette

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Would anyone have a manual they could loan or send a photocopy please...I have one of these & would like to do maintanence but only know how to change the petrol...Don't know where oil,goes or filters or anything else is,that I need to tend to..This is the first petrol mower I have ever had & was given it 2nd hand without manual....:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

littlemis wrote: »
    Would anyone have a manual they could loan or send a photocopy please...I have one of these & would like to do maintanence but only know how to change the petrol...Don't know where oil,goes or filters or anything else is,that I need to tend to..This is the first petrol mower I have ever had & was given it 2nd hand without manual....:)

whats the Briggs and Stratton engine Model number? It should be on a little plate on the engine itself.

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    whats the Briggs and Stratton engine Model number? It should be on a little plate on the engine itself.

s/no. 5868227

littlemis wrote: »
    s/no. 5868227

google it;)

that looks like a serial no, not a model no

that looks like a serial no, not a model no

I did try google it before I posted here, cant find it...well if that is not it, ,then is it the number I listed on the title as these are the only numbers on the plate...

It's a Castlegarden so any dealer should be able to either get you a manual or photocopy one. There will probably be two manuals. One for the mower & another for the engine.

Most B&S engines are very similar so you will find instructions & videos online.

If you really want to learn about it then this book will help

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=11635&langId=-1

It should be in Halfords branches if you want a look.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    It's a Castlegarden so any dealer should be able to either get you a manual or photocopy one. There will probably be two manuals. One for the mower & another for the engine.

Most B&S engines are very similar so you will find instructions & videos online.

If you really want to learn about it then this book will help

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=11635&langId=-1

It should be in Halfords branches if you want a look.

Thank you so very much.I will head straight for Halfords asap armed with the info.Will let you know how I get on..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Is there any puncture proof tyres or tubes on the market?

Im sick & tired of getting punctures on my ride-on:(

fryup wrote: »
    Is there any puncture proof tyres or tubes on the market?

Im sick & tired of getting punctures on my ride-on:(

Just fill them with sealer - looks like green frogs spawn & you can get it at many dealers.

I have heard of people lining the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

when do the discounts normally start for ride-ons and by how much?

in the market now for one, wondering if its justified for me to wait

would really have to be a reasonable discount as i can't stand cutting the
    grass.

looking for 15hp ish, hydrostatic, rear discharge, B&S engine

Thanks

Sept onward I would have thought, depends on the dealer and what he's sitting on....ohhh, and don't get hung up on just price discount, haggle for an extended warranty because any mower you buy now will be in a shed for the next 5 months soon enough just eating away into your warranty.....people forget that its a seasonal machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 big fellow

I got the above for 3,000. knocked the blades off after a week hitting a major rock somebody had kindly deposited in the long grass. Croom cycles came out - 2 new blades, no charge.

big fellow wrote: »
    I got the above for 3,000. knocked the blades off after a week hitting a major rock somebody had kindly deposited in the long grass. Croom cycles came out - 2 new blades, no charge.

that was very daycent of them ! :)

fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

I was cutting my lawn today when i hit an old tree stump. Unfortunately it bent the drive shaft. Has anyone any advice on what to do next?My feeling is getting it repaired will cost as much as getting a new one. I'v looked for parts on donedeal and ebay and have not had much luck. Any help would be great!

Laika1986 wrote: »
    I was cutting my lawn today when i hit an old tree stump. Unfortunately it bent the drive shaft. Has anyone any advice on what to do next?My feeling is getting it repaired will cost as much as getting a new one. I'v looked for parts on donedeal and ebay and have not had much luck. Any help would be great!

post a pic of the bent component.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Ill post one up tomorrow afternoon when im home, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Last week I planted my garden with a meadow grass and wildflower mixture. I planted borders with five different wildflowers.,

When the grass grows I will mow it occasionally. I plan to mow a strip, leave a strip, and rotate the mowing so that there is a mix of mown and long grass.

I was thinking of getting a petrol engine scythe mower because an ordinary mover wouldn't cut long grass. The area is only about 12 x 10 yards so that might be overkill.

Any mower suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

Anyone with a mulch only Ride on lawnmower.

Can get a good deal on one at the moment that's in great nick.

I hear by mulching the whole time moss can be a problem,

On 3/4 of an acre site and sick to death of the fight with the lawn mower trying to keep the place tidy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hi Kincsem, get a Hayter Hayterette or a mower with side discharge.

Aos you need to consider the implications of cutting your wildflower meadow too much i.e you MUST collect the clippings otherwise they will enrich the soil too much for the wildflowers (wildflowers like a soil poor in fertility)

Any more info you need just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

looking at rides ons at the moment second hand looking to spend 1k to 1200 on one
    would like to collect and would be great if it was hydro
    im seeing some husqvarna's for good money and also simplicity(olderones)which i hear are good,honda just too expensive,
    are there any makes that should be high up on my list and ones to avoid at all costs?
    not buying anything that came out of woodies/b&q etc
    thanks

Indeed, forget about the woodies/bandQ stuff.........

Honda or Briggs engined if possible, avoid Tacumseh engines.

Castlegarden are good, and the following brands are re-stickered castlegarden machine, petrol John Deere and Castel.

Huskys are good too.

Indeed, forget about the woodies/bandQ stuff.........

Honda or Briggs engined if possible, avoid Tacumseh engines.

Castlegarden are good, and the following brands are re-stickered castlegarden machine, petrol John Deere and Castel.

Huskys are good too.

Thanks midlandm
    Yeah def going for Briggs engined hopefully
    Snapper any good???

Yep, a good brand is snapper......

Yep, a good brand is snapper......
    Looking at a snapper he says is only one year old!! Just dropped the price from 2k to1.5k worth a look???

..shure no harm in looking....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 gcuan

Hi all,

Have a stiga tracter mower (basically a castelgarden?) which has been cutting about a quarter acre over the summer (have just sowed a bigger lawn so she'll have more work next year)

She has started "screeching" for the first five or ten minutes of cutting and then stops screeching. It sounds like its coming from just over the deck on the right hand side.

she cuts fine, no problems there but I'm just wondering what's causing the noise and how do I stop it? I dont think its too serious but it is a bit worring in an almost new mower.

It sounded like a belt to me, I checked the two belts and they seemed a bit slack so I tightened the springs a bit. But she continued to screech. No smoke or smell, just the noise.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Advertisement