Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Getthestick

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a ride on and can probably stretch to 4 k but would prefer to stay around the 3k mark. I've been using my parents Husky but it's been giving me a bit of hassle. I've looked at snapper/Murray and Cub cadet, is there anything else I should be looking at. I want the option to mulch but not a side discharge. I have about an acre of lawn so a decent size deck but has to have the HP to back it up. Any advice would be great as it seems impossible to get any anywhere else!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

I would have a look at the Castelgarden XT190HD and the Honda HF2417 as well.

http://www.esaleslocal.com/castelgarden.htm
    http://www.esaleslocal.com/hondamower.htm

Both are built by GGP - who own the Castelgarden brand. The XT190HD has a 18.5hp Briggs and Stratton engine compared the the Honda with the 17hp V-twin Honda engine. The Honda has a fan assisted bagging system, however that may just be a gimmick as I havent heard any complaints about the XT190HD bagging performance.

The Snapper to look at is a bigger machine, 19.5hp Briggs and Stratton. There are a limited amount of Snappers in the country at the minute as they are introducing a new range next year (with a hefty price tag to go with them as far as I'm aware). The Honda, Castelgarden and Snapper all should come with mulch plugs!

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a ride on and can probably stretch to 4 k but would prefer to stay around the 3k mark. I've been using my parents Husky but it's been giving me a bit of hassle. I've looked at snapper/Murray and Cub cadet, is there anything else I should be looking at. I want the option to mulch but not a side discharge. I have about an acre of lawn so a decent size deck but has to have the HP to back it up. Any advice would be great as it seems impossible to get any anywhere else!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

Hi all,

Cheers!
    Snapper mowers have been on the Irish market for over 30 years ans are a tried and tested product, I have been using Snapper for over 15 years and have had little or no issues with them. The model I would recommend is the ELT17538RDF with mulch plug, should be a little over 3k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Hi all, I have come across this guy on youtube, and he has uploaded a load of little tutorials regarding his work as a small engine repair man. Go to youtube and search for "donyboy73" He is down to earth I find, and uses simple step by step descriptions. Lots on chainsaws also. He is based somewhere in Canada. Nigel in Cavan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Well guys, here is a System by Castlegarden that was my Dads. He bought it about 6 years ago. It is a 1990 model , as seen by the "Italia 90" stickers fitted by Castle garden. The B & S 12hp engine seized up about 3 years ago. My Dad passed away 18 months ago, and I'm now getting round to fixing the mower.
    Was bidding on an engine on ebay but it got away on me,with the exchange on Sterling and courier charges, it would be up to €200. A rebuild kit from the USA costs about $80 plus postage, but the good news is that I came across a 2002 engine yesterday on adverts.ie for €110 in Meath, just an hour away.
    So hopefully get her cutting again soon if the grass ever dries.
    Anyone else out there got one of these?
    Mack in Cavan

http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t509/dearjohn21/?action=view&current=011.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Hi, i'm looking to buy a lawnmower for my father for Christmas, i'v looked at the new Ariens Razor but im not sure if its possible to buy it in Ireland. Does anyone know of any place that stocks them here? If that's not possible i'm looking for other similar walk behind lawnmowers with a mulching option, i'd appreciate any suggestions along with where to purchase them & the approximate cost?

Finally, i don't know a lot about mulching other than it eliminates the use of the bag, is it possible to constantly use the mulching option or does it have to be alternated with the bag? Ideally i'd like for him to use the bag as little as possible. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

Hoki wrote: »
    Hi, i'm looking to buy a lawnmower for my father for Christmas, i'v looked at the new Ariens Razor but im not sure if its possible to buy it in Ireland. Does anyone know of any place that stocks them here? If that's not possible i'm looking for other similar walk behind lawnmowers with a mulching option, i'd appreciate any suggestions along with where to purchase them & the approximate cost?

Finally, i don't know a lot about mulching other than it eliminates the use of the bag, is it possible to constantly use the mulching option or does it have to be alternated with the bag? Ideally i'd like for him to use the bag as little as possible. Cheers
    Hi Hoki, what a lucky man your dad is, very thoughtful son :p. To answer your question I would need to know. 1) How big is the area ? 2) Do you require self drive ? And regarding mulching only, if you mulch only without collecting you will end up with a lawn full of "thatch" this is a build up of dead grass that has not broken down, also with the lack of air getting to the surface this will encourage the growth of moss and finally to mulch only in the growing season one would have to cut twice weekly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Hey, sorry for the bump but I'm not entirely knowledgeable on lawnmowers. The father wants a lawnmower, he currently has a 20 year old 20" push lawnmower. He's looking for a self drive lawnmower that's around 40"?! I've only ever seen ride ons with blades at that width.

Can someone confirm that with me? If not, where can I obtain one of these goliaths?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

would he not just buy a ride on with a 40 inch deck?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

MidlandsM wrote: »
    would he not just buy a ride on with a 40 inch deck?

He doesn't want a ride on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Do most people here get their lawn movers services by the dealer , a local person or do it themselves ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

He doesn't want a ride on.

the only thing i can recommend is to go to your local mower and chat to them about a walk behind of this size......it might be an "order in" situation.....you never see them on stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hey, sorry for the bump but I'm not entirely knowledgeable on lawnmowers. The father wants a lawnmower, he currently has a 20 year old 20" push lawnmower. He's looking for a self drive lawnmower that's around 40"?! I've only ever seen ride ons with blades at that width.

Can someone confirm that with me? If not, where can I obtain one of these goliaths?

Cherry,

Wide walk behinds definitely do exist, Toro do one for starters, more aimed at the pro user though, massive bloody thing 36" cut probably quite heavy, no idea of cost.

There are other makes just can't think of them off hand, what sort of grass is it for? Would a zero turn ride on be suitable?

Toro also do a stand on mower, which I have always fancied having a go at lol

Hope this helps.

M.

km79 wrote: »
    Do most people here get their lawn movers services by the dealer , a local person or do it themselves ?

I could do it myself if I had time, but because I rely on the mowers to make me money I tend to get my local dealer/service guy to do it.

Most main dealers will charge more but then they tend to have a bit more reliable know how on the kit they sell.

hope this helps,

M.

Also, if you are inside a warranty period you should get it done where you bought it from. Although I don't because my local bloke is better than the dealer I got my last mower from lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Vtwin

Need to buy a new ride on.
    It's down to 2 Husqvarnas.
    Cth194 with 19hp Kohler engine, 42 inch deck , or a CTH 164T , 16 hp twin cylinder Kawasaki engine with 38" Deck.
    Have about 3/4 acre to cut.
    CTH is a few hundred dearer, but was wondering if it is a better machine.
    I think that the smaller deck would be easier on the engine, Kawasaki has a bigger displacement and same kw output at 2500 rpm. So leaning towards that, difference in deck size doesn't bother me.
    Any thoughts appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Hi, I have a Harry lawnmower and have recently broken the collection box at the back. Does anyone know where I can pick up a replacement one?

I know they're gone out of production now, so parts can be difficult to get but I'm completely goosed without it as I cannot afford to replace the mower, especially as the mower itself is recently serviced and running like a dream...

Any info would be gratefully received!

Anatom,

Go to your local mower repair dealer/man he might be able to get you a new replacement or he might have an old one on a broken down mower out the back, or just get a mulching kit for it?

Hope this helps.

M.

Anatom,

Is the box a solid plastic one or a wire frame and fabric one?

M.

Anatom wrote: »
    Hi, I have a Harry lawnmower and have recently broken the collection box at the back. Does anyone know where I can pick up a replacement one?

I know they're gone out of production now, so parts can be difficult to get but I'm completely goosed without it as I cannot afford to replace the mower, especially as the mower itself is recently serviced and running like a dream...

Any info would be gratefully received!

Anatom,

Use this dealer locater to find one near you and then tell them what you need, they should be able to get it, because the dealer network deals with Harry mowers.

http://www.gardenmachinery.ie/dealers.php

Hope this helps, good luck.

M.

Thanks Monkeynuz

Its the wire and fabric one. (About 8-10 years old at this stage) I had it serviced last October/November and as I was giving the lawn one last run before the winter I pulled it back onto a rock and the mower chewed the front off the bag - ruined it completely. The local guy still hasn't found a replacement or fixed it for me. Hopefully he'll come through for me but just in case I'll take a look at your link...

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Sorry Anatom,

I thought you had exhausted all avenues for getting one, well that is how your original posting looked.

Hope your man finds something for you.

Ha - I can see why you'd think that alright, but he's had it since before Christmas so I'm running out of hope....

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ShayH

I tortured myself for years using a walk behind mower on 1/3 to 1/2 acre. it took hours every time so I didn't do it nearly often enough. I knew a regular centre deck ride on wouldn't be any good because of all the tight areas and I would have had to use the walk behind so after many seasons of agonising I bought a Husqvarna rider with a front cutting deck. Now mowing the lawn is a joy. Done effortlessly in no time. Been kidding myself for years. Life's too short. Break out and get one. You won't regret it!

ShayH wrote: »
    I tortured myself for years using a walk behind mower on 1/3 to 1/2 acre. it took hours every time so I didn't do it nearly often enough. I knew a regular centre deck ride on wouldn't be any good because of all the tight areas and I would have had to use the walk behind so after many seasons of agonising I bought a Husqvarna rider with a front cutting deck. Now mowing the lawn is a joy. Done effortlessly in no time. Been kidding myself for years. Life's too short. Break out and get one. You won't regret it!

Good to hear you like your rider.

Personally I can cut an acre faster on foot with little trouble and collect the clippings too, but it is all down to preference.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

ShayH wrote: »

Been looking at a rider as well. What model did you get?

dingdong,

Do you need a mulching rider or would a decent walk behind do?

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

monkeynuz wrote: »
    dingdong,

Do you need a mulching rider or would a decent walk behind do?

M.
    Have just over half an acre with loads of trees so I thinking a rider would be the job. For its maneuverability and the front deck for getting under trees etc. Have a walk behind atm and its a pain tbh.

Just wondered, because I have a honda pro mower 21 inch, and I can do 1 acre garden plus for customers. I have one customer with over an acre and to cut and collect takes me just over 1 hour, in the pouring rain takes nearer 1.45 because of running slower, I have often found riders and ride ons to be more time consuming in smaller gardens because they often need to be reversed etc.

Just my feelings.

one more thing, the customer I just spoke about used to take 4 hours with his decent snapper mower mulching only!

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it possible to buy a new deck for a ride on?? surfin the web i can't seem to find any for spare parts

also...is it difficult to install?

• Advertisement

Hi fryup,

Won't do a long answer because I am typing on smartphone.

What make and model of mower? How old? Do you still have the manual?

Answer these and I might have some suggestions, although have you tried actually talking to a dealer/ local guy?

M.

Advertisement