Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Hi Looking for some advice on lawn movers

New lawn laid last September approx 1/3 acre but in a U shape around house. 1/3 of this is a bank about 70m long 15m wide with slope around 25-35 degrees. Got a guy to try it with castlegarden 17 hp ride on and even though it didn't need to be cut he said that it was too high for a ride on. He was around an hour doing the rest. Ideally would love a 4 wheel drive front deck mower but best price I seen was around 4K for a Husky R216 AWD up north.
    couldn't justify this so been looking at self propelled walk after models. was thinking of a Honda as they are ok to use up and down on max a 45 degree slope.
    However max 21 inch width which means at least 2 hours every cut. So been looking for wider versions. Found two so far.

1. Cub Cadet 30 inch wide area mower which is built like a rotavator with high handles 344cc B&S engine. mulch only and quoted 2000 euro

2 Toro Timemaster 30 Inch width lawnmover 190 CC B&S engine. Can bag or mulch . Seems new to Irish market and can be got for around 1300 euro. 999 sterling on uk websites. Interested but need to find out if engine can tolerate operating on slope.

Anyone got either of these machines or got any suggestions ....slope being the main issue as to choice of mower

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Hi all,

I am looking at two new mowers. I have around .4acres of lawn to cut and would find it very hard to justify spending €3000+ for a tractor mower.

So, I have looked around and have found the two following mowers.

Firstly :

http://www.castelgarden.com/products/castelgarden/lawn-mowers/castelgarden-b-s/xc-53-bsw4.html
    This mower is a B&S 6 hp with Mulch, Collect or DIscharge. Self propelled with a 5 year warranty. The warranty depends on getting the machine serviced every 12 months - at a cost of €50. Price on this mower is €530.

And then we have this :

http://www.gardenmachinerydirect.co.uk/husqvarna-petrol-lawn-mowers-r53sv-shop-2373.htm

This has a 5.5 hp Honda engine. Same warranty set up. But this has a front drive system versus the rear drive with the castle garden. Variable speed drive. Mulch, collect or discharge. This machine is €550.

These two machines seem on the face of it the be the same in terms of spec i.e. Power, Deck width etc. And price. Has anyone here got any of these machines. Which would you go for and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

cabledude wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am looking at two new mowers. I have around .4acres of lawn to cut and would find it very hard to justify spending €3000+ for a tractor mower.

So, I have looked around and have found the two following mowers.

Firstly :

http://www.castelgarden.com/products/castelgarden/lawn-mowers/castelgarden-b-s/xc-53-bsw4.html
    This mower is a B&S 6 hp with Mulch, Collect or DIscharge. Self propelled with a 5 year warranty. The warranty depends on getting the machine serviced every 12 months - at a cost of €50. Price on this mower is €530.

And then we have this :

http://www.gardenmachinerydirect.co.uk/husqvarna-petrol-lawn-mowers-r53sv-shop-2373.htm

This has a 5.5 hp Honda engine. Same warranty set up. But this has a front drive system versus the rear drive with the castle garden. Variable speed drive. Mulch, collect or discharge. This machine is €550.

These two machines seem on the face of it the be the same in terms of spec i.e. Power, Deck width etc. And price. Has anyone here got any of these machines. Which would you go for and why?

I am always sceptical of 5 year warranties, especially when you have to pay 250 euro for the privilege. Usually anything that will go wrong does so within the first few months.

Get a written list of exactly what is covered by the warranty - I'd bet you'll find very little on the list. The common problems like broken cables, worn belt, broken wheels, broken blade boss, wheel adjusters and bent shafts will be excluded as they are wearing parts or only break due to misuse i.e. hitting a rock in the lawn.

Less common problems like engine failure will probably not be covered either as the majority of B&S engines that fail within the first 5 years do so due to lack of oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

tomred1N wrote: »
    Hi Looking for some advice on lawn movers

New lawn laid last September approx 1/3 acre but in a U shape around house. 1/3 of this is a bank about 70m long 15m wide with slope around 25-35 degrees. Got a guy to try it with castlegarden 17 hp ride on and even though it didn't need to be cut he said that it was too high for a ride on. He was around an hour doing the rest. Ideally would love a 4 wheel drive front deck mower but best price I seen was around 4K for a Husky R216 AWD up north.
    couldn't justify this so been looking at self propelled walk after models. was thinking of a Honda as they are ok to use up and down on max a 45 degree slope.
    However max 21 inch width which means at least 2 hours every cut. So been looking for wider versions. Found two so far.

1. Cub Cadet 30 inch wide area mower which is built like a rotavator with high handles 344cc B&S engine. mulch only and quoted 2000 euro

2 Toro Timemaster 30 Inch width lawnmover 190 CC B&S engine. Can bag or mulch . Seems new to Irish market and can be got for around 1300 euro. 999 sterling on uk websites. Interested but need to find out if engine can tolerate operating on slope.

Anyone got either of these machines or got any suggestions ....slope being the main issue as to choice of mower

Hi Tomred,

Firstly, whatever you go for make sure it has prssurized oiling system.

Also, for your amount of ground, you don't really need such a large mower a decent 21 inch ish mmower should be plenty, the cruel irony is that if you have grass and want it to look good then you will just have to spend some time with it.

Have you considered Honda pro mower? Hrh 536hx variable speed decent collecting bag etc. mulch plug available if you want.

Etesia pro machine, not many dealers around but goole for info on etesia, they are also specifically for slopes and such also have chunky rear wheels pricey but supposed to be good.

Can't really help anymore than that, I spend a lot of my time cutting grass for customers and use a Honda pro.

M.

I am always sceptical of 5 year warranties, especially when you have to pay 250 euro for the privilege. Usually anything that will go wrong does so within the first few months.

Get a written list of exactly what is covered by the warranty - I'd bet you'll find very little on the list. The common problems like broken cables, worn belt, broken wheels, broken blade boss, wheel adjusters and bent shafts will be excluded as they are wearing parts or only break due to misuse i.e. hitting a rock in the lawn.

Less common problems like engine failure will probably not be covered either as the majority of B&S engines that fail within the first 5 years do so due to lack of oil.

You may be sceptical but then, don't you get your car serviced?

Mowers should always be serviced regularly, and ideally the oil should be changed every 50 hours of use, I should know.

The fact is most dometic users don't get their kit serviced and then wonder why it only lasts a few years.

Also go for a decent walk behind mower >€1000

All the best

M.

• Advertisement

I've already asked that question.

Firstly, the engines are guaranteed for 2 years. Anything at all goes wrong and they are covered. The 5 year warranty does not extend to the engine. But it covers the entirety of the rest of the machine. Belts, wheel bearings, gearbox, lines etc etc. Provided they are serviced with the retailer. I know what you're saying about the paying on the double for a warranty, but, I'll be getting the machine serviced once a year anyway. But the benefit of going to the retailer is that any parts of the mower that need repair/replacement will be done as part of the warrenty/service.

P.S. they both told me that the blade will not be covered. Obviously. They will take off the blade every service and sharpen /clean it, but if I bust the blade myself hitting kerbs of something, thats my issue. Sound enough.

P.P.S. Both retailers told me that if the machines are serviced every year that the engines will outlast myself:)

monkeynuz wrote: »

Mowers should always be serviced regularly, and ideally the oil should be changed every 50 hours of use, I should know.

The fact is most dometic users don't get their kit serviced and then wonder why it only lasts a few years.

All the best

M.
    What will a €1000 machine do that a €500 will not do?

I picked up the self propelled Castelgarden XC53BSW4 mower the other week. Great at mulching.
    I'm considering one of these machines at the moment. Any problems with it? Is it a solid machine? I'm being quoted €530. Is that about right?

All the best

M.

I have been repairing and selling lawnmowers all my working life so no need to take such a condescending tone with your post.

I was simply trying to highlight to the poster that all may not be rosy with these extended warranties and frequently they can lead to an argument down the line when the dealer backs out of a repair claiming it isn't a warranty issue.

I am not disputing the fact that it is good to service your lawnmower, just for the majority of 'normal' domestic users an annual service is unnecessary, especially at 50.00 euro a go.

Ideally everyone would buy a professional grade lawnmower to last them their lifetime, however for most people they can't justify spending that kind of money on a lawnmower when one at half the price will do just as good a job, albeit for not as many years.

Hi Tomred,

Firstly, whatever you go for make sure it has prssurized oiling system.

Also, for your amount of ground, you don't really need such a large mower a decent 21 inch ish mmower should be plenty, the cruel irony is that if you have grass and want it to look good then you will just have to spend some time with it.

Have you considered Honda pro mower? Hrh 536hx variable speed decent collecting bag etc. mulch plug available if you want.

Etesia pro machine, not many dealers around but goole for info on etesia, they are also specifically for slopes and such also have chunky rear wheels pricey but supposed to be good.

Can't really help anymore than that, I spend a lot of my time cutting grass for customers and use a Honda pro.

M.

Thanks M,

I was looking at a Honda alright, think it was the 537HYE model.....think the difference is the 537 has a 6.5 HP OHC engine and alloy deck. the 536 has an 5.5 hp ohv engine and aluminium deck. Is the 536 a more commercial version ? seems similar price but I thought the bigger hp engine would be better?? Is the 536 engine pressurised I asked the dealer about the 537 and he said it was ok on slopes but didn't fill me with confidence with his knowledge. Rang another dealer in limerick and he said its ok up and down a hill up to 45 degree and 15 -20 degree crossing it. Guy in limerick told me about the toro as I was looking for wider deck. With regard to my lawn the guy with the ride on said it would take him 1.5 hours and his deck was 36inch. I have thought that a 21 inch swart wouldn't make much of an impact !! That's the reason I was looking for a wider deck. Looked at etesia there online ......fairly pricey alright.

• Advertisement

What will a €1000 machine do that a €500 will not do?

Hi cabledude,

A more expensive (pro/premium) machine generally benefits from a better engine and better designed deck not to mention build quality. I would not be able to use a cheaper machine for much more than 1 hour daily because the vibrations would wreck me.

I have been repairing and selling lawnmowers all my working life so no need to take such a condescending tone with your post.

I was simply trying to highlight to the poster that all may not be rosy with these extended warranties and frequently they can lead to an argument down the line when the dealer backs out of a repair claiming it isn't a warranty issue.

I am not disputing the fact that it is good to service your lawnmower, just for the majority of 'normal' domestic users an annual service is unnecessary, especially at 50.00 euro a go.

Ideally everyone would buy a professional grade lawnmower to last them their lifetime, however for most people they can't justify spending that kind of money on a lawnmower when one at half the price will do just as good a job, albeit for not as many years.

Hi celticmicky,

I apologise, I didn't realise I was being condescending, I have re read my post and still can't see it?

Anyway, you say most domestic don't need a service every year, yes they do, oil change, spark plug clean....oh I don't need to go on because you know all of this!

Most people can't even sharpen their own blade so yes they need an annual service.

A more expensive machine will almost always provide a better finish and be more reliable, it will last longer too.

Perhaps a dealer might argue about a repair, but then they can do that with anything, also I have never had any trouble.

Thanks M,

I was looking at a Honda alright, think it was the 537HYE model.....think the difference is the 537 has a 6.5 HP OHC engine and alloy deck. the 536 has an 5.5 hp ohv engine and aluminium deck. Is the 536 a more commercial version ? seems similar price but I thought the bigger hp engine would be better?? Is the 536 engine pressurised I asked the dealer about the 537 and he said it was ok on slopes but didn't fill me with confidence with his knowledge. Rang another dealer in limerick and he said its ok up and down a hill up to 45 degree and 15 -20 degree crossing it. Guy in limerick told me about the toro as I was looking for wider deck. With regard to my lawn the guy with the ride on said it would take him 1.5 hours and his deck was 36inch. I have thought that a 21 inch swart wouldn't make much of an impact !! That's the reason I was looking for a wider deck. Looked at etesia there online ......fairly pricey alright.

Hi tomred,

Firstly, the problem I have with the majority of ride on use nowadays is the gardens people are using them on are too small, spend longer turning and reversing than cutting.

With a 21 walk behind you will basically not have to stop much just keep on walking, if you look at a few posts of mine on this thread recently you will see the size of lawns I can do in certain times.

Yes the 536 hx is the most expensive 21 walk behind that Honda do it is also hydrostatic drive I am pretty certain it is pressurised too. I swear by then for commercial mowing and good pickup in the wet. Although chuck the Honda blade away and get an aftermarket one like an Oregon or something.

Etesias are pricey but supposed to be excellent although I know a lot of pro guys that stick with the Hondas.

My advice would be to find a hire shop that have good quality walk behinds or even ask your local Honda dealer if you can have a loan/test drive and see what you think.

Also, personally I am not mad keen on the craze for mulching just laziness in my mind!

Hope those helps.

M.

Oh yes, the horsepower difference doesn't mean a lot, the 537 will just burn more fuel and be a bit louder lol. And the pro model has a bumper on the front! Don't forget to haggle on price as well you should be able to get a couple of hundred off.

Hi tomred,

Firstly, the problem I have with the majority of ride on use nowadays is the gardens people are using them on are too small, spend longer turning and reversing than cutting.

With a 21 walk behind you will basically not have to stop much just keep on walking, if you look at a few posts of mine on this thread recently you will see the size of lawns I can do in certain times.

Yes the 536 hx is the most expensive 21 walk behind that Honda do it is also hydrostatic drive I am pretty certain it is pressurised too. I swear by then for commercial mowing and good pickup in the wet. Although chuck the Honda blade away and get an aftermarket one like an Oregon or something.

Etesias are pricey but supposed to be excellent although I know a lot of pro guys that stick with the Hondas.

My advice would be to find a hire shop that have good quality walk behinds or even ask your local Honda dealer if you can have a loan/test drive and see what you think.

Also, personally I am not mad keen on the craze for mulching just laziness in my mind!

Hope those helps.

M.

Oh yes, the horsepower difference doesn't mean a lot, the 537 will just burn more fuel and be a bit louder lol. And the pro model has a bumper on the front! Don't forget to haggle on price as well you should be able to get a couple of hundred off.

Thanks M,

Looked at honda website there , list price of the 537HYE is 1199, can be got for around 1,080 here in cork. HRH536HX is listed at 1729, prob get a couple of hundred off that ( what is the difference on the HRD 536 HX version 1299 euro)

I don't mind spending a bit more on a good walk behind. Have read some American reviews on the Toro and it seems ok but one thing that does seem to crop up is not a great bagger....better at mulching.( need to clarify about the pressuried oil before I look any further) I think I would be better collecting ......you seem to say the Honda is good at collecting and can cut well in wet.....a bit of a must in this bloody country. How often would you need to empty the bag on the Honda if you cut 1/3 to half acre every week ?? I see you saw you could cut that in under an hour....impressive u must be running after it !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thanks M,

I was looking at a Honda alright, think it was the 537HYE model.....think the difference is the 537 has a 6.5 HP OHC engine and alloy deck. the 536 has an 5.5 hp ohv engine and aluminium deck. Is the 536 a more commercial version ? seems similar price but I thought the bigger hp engine would be better?? Is the 536 engine pressurised I asked the dealer about the 537 and he said it was ok on slopes but didn't fill me with confidence with his knowledge. Rang another dealer in limerick and he said its ok up and down a hill up to 45 degree and 15 -20 to idegree crossing it. Guy in limerick told me about the toro as I was looking for wider deck. With regard to my lawn the guy with the ride on said it would take him 1.5 hours and his deck was 36inch. I have thought that a 21 inch swart wouldn't make much of an impact !! That's the reason I was looking for a wider deck. Looked at etesia there online ......fairly pricey alright.

I have been using mowers commercially for 20 years! The OHV Honda is the old engine & it's the best ever made - way better than the OHC. My OHV Honda Pro has the revs increased so that it goes much quicker.

The Etesia's are in a different league. They are simply the best mowers available. Nothing cuts wet grass like an Etesia because there is nothing to get in the way of the grass between the deck & the grass box.

Either machine should last a non commercial user for 20 years.

Discodog wrote: »
    I have been using mowers commercially for 20 years! The OHV Honda is the old engine & it's the best ever made - way better than the OHC. My OHV Honda Pro has the revs increased so that it goes much quicker.

The Etesia's are in a different league. They are simply the best mowers available. Nothing cuts wet grass like an Etesia because there is nothing to get in the way of the grass between the deck & the grass box.

Thanks DDog,

I have been advised by a lot of people to get a full pressure lubrication engine as I have a very steep slope on half my lawn, notice the Honda are all splash lubrication. only engine I seen so far with FPL is Kawasaki FJ180V....seen this on a Toro pro mover....not the 30 inch deck version I was looking at though.......what are your thoughts

Yes Etesia seem made for slopes but way too expensive for my usage

The standard machine for slopes used to be a 2 stroke mower. These were banned in some countries due to emissions. You might find one for sale somewhere.

Another consideration is weight. You don't want a heavy mower on a slope.

Don't know about the ohc engine, have only ever had the ohv, so would agree with Discodog.

I had the revs increased on my four wheel mower, but didn't like it too much, not much of an increase in walking pace and just ups the vibrations slightly which for pro use isn't ideal.

I have heard from quite few pros that the Etesias aren't quite as good as you would want for the >€2500 price tag (not sure of the price but the pro version is well over £2000 in the UK) also you have to be careful which model you go for as the deck design does differ. The Etesia pro is advertised for doing slopes, and has chunky wheels at the back to help with this, not very light machines though.

I use my Honda pro on slight slopes, I would never do very steeps slopes, better to strim them to be honest.

Used to be able to get 2 stroke flymos for that sort of thing, you might still be able to, I think Allen took over the Flymo range.

Tomred, the HRD model you were referring to, I couldn't quite make out what it is made of I think it might be alloy sheeting pressed, whereas the HRH is cast alloy deck the HRH is quite heavy too >60kg

With the 81 litre grass bag cutting every week you should be able to travel a good 200 feet or so before it fills up, although in June (when the grass is growing in front of you) you would probably need to empty a bit more.

Can't think of anymore to say, but good luck with your choice, and anymore info don't hesitate to ask.

All the best.

M.

Most ride ons & mowers have their revs set low to comply with noise regulations. This means that the engines run below peak power.

My two Hondas are about 30% faster than standard models which makes a big difference to cutting time.

The only downside with Etesia is weight. The 19 inch is much lighter than their other models & a lot cheaper. No other mower will collect 6 inch grass perfectly in the rain.

Most ride ons & mowers have their revs set low to comply with noise regulations. This means that the engines run below peak power.

My two Hondas are about 30% faster than standard models which makes a big difference to cutting time.

The only downside with Etesia is weight. The 19 inch is much lighter than their other models & a lot cheaper. No other mower will collect 6 inch grass perfectly in the rain.

I can't say the speed increase was that great and you have to be careful what you set the revs at also higher revs mean more vibration which is not good if you have staff.

What is the weight of the etesia because the Honda is very heavy too.

I agree the etesia are supposed to be good in the wet, but not all models, also any mower would struggle with 6 inch grass and any manufacturer would
    Recommend against cutting in one go and taking two passes instead and so would I.

M.

• Advertisement

Briggs and Stratton ride on engines come with a little plastic restricter at the throttle to hold the rpm at 2600rpm - this falls off when taking the mower off the pallet, purely to get around the noise regulations as you said.

Briggs and Stratton ride on engines come with a little plastic restricter at the throttle to hold the rpm at 2600rpm - this falls off when taking the mower off the pallet, purely to get around the noise regulations as you said.

They even make it white so it really stands out. You still see lots of machines with it still in place.

Hi cabledude,

A more expensive (pro/premium) machine generally benefits from a better engine and better designed deck not to mention build quality. I would not be able to use a cheaper machine for much more than 1 hour daily because the vibrations would wreck me.
    I hear you. In your opinion,which of the two machines I mentioned would be a better buy? Should I go for the Husqvarna with the Honda engine. Or the Castlegarden with the Briggs & Stratton. The Briggs is the more powerful. I what I'm trying to get to the bottom of is, which of these machines willbe the more reliable and would it be reasonable for me to expect to get 10 years for these machines?

I hear you. In your opinion,which of the two machines I mentioned would be a better buy? Should I go for the Husqvarna with the Honda engine. Or the Castlegarden with the Briggs & Stratton. The Briggs is the more powerful. I what I'm trying to get to the bottom of is, which of these machines willbe the more reliable and would it be reasonable for me to expect to get 10 years for these machines?

Cabledude,

Personally I would always go for the Honda engine, well known for reliability and pretty tough. The husqvarna should be perfect for you.

Just remember to service it regularly and then after the warranty period if you feel confident do it yourself, change the oil every year and drain the petrol out in the winter and throw away any you haven't used for a few weeks or buy some fuel additive.

Happy mowing.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rsmike

Any opinions on the latest Lidl petrol mower for 269.99?

B&S 140cc engine
    46cm
    Self propelled
    Hose connection
    60L bag

Seems better spec than what they did in the past.

Also emissions and vibration.

Two very important points and why you shouldn't tinker with them.

Also the rev increase is marginal.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

hi just wondering if anyone out there knows a good deal out there for a petrol push lawn mower, not a mulcher type as the lawn is prone to moss growth and I hear a mulcher just promotes moss regrowth especially with the recent wet summers
    I cant afford a ride on lawn mower which would be the ideal as I have 3/4 of an acre in a lawn. lawn is flat and hubbie around to mow it. we have had a neighbour cut it with his ride on lawn mower for 50e a pop, cant afford it anymore, just want to start the new summer season anew with our own machine. am wary about buying off donedeal as in don't want a con job/stolen item. so ant ideas please?

hi just wondering if anyone out there knows a good deal out there for a petrol push lawn mower, not a mulcher type as the lawn is prone to moss growth and I hear a mulcher just promotes moss regrowth especially with the recent wet summers
    I cant afford a ride on lawn mower which would be the ideal as I have 3/4 of an acre in a lawn. lawn is flat and hubbie around to mow it. we have had a neighbour cut it with his ride on lawn mower for 50e a pop, cant afford it anymore, just want to start the new summer season anew with our own machine. am wary about buying off donedeal as in don't want a con job/stolen item. so ant ideas please?
    €50 per cut. Not a very nice neighbor. I'm picking up a new mower on Wednesday. MOst mower these days seem to be self propelled. Even though they have a mulch function, you don't have to mulch. You can bag it or shoot it out the side. The one I'm getting, after taking advice from professionals here is this

Costing me €550 but it has a good warranty and a Honda engine.

rsmike wrote: »
    Any opinions on the latest Lidl petrol mower for 269.99?

B&S 140cc engine
    46cm
    Self propelled
    Hose connection
    60L bag

Seems better spec than what they did in the past.

My local repairer has a surprising amount of Lidl equipment in his bin. Apparently it's impossible to get parts.

• Advertisement

IMO for the money the Snapper ESPV21675 is hard to beat. The Husqvarna mentioned above is grand, however I am not a fan of the front wheel drive and big back wheels.

Advertisement