Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

IMO for the money the Snapper ESPV21675 is hard to beat. The Husqvarna mentioned above is grand, however I am not a fan of the front wheel drive and big back wheels.

Husqvarna missed an opportunity to make an Etesia clone. Fwd allows you to mount the rear wheels on stub axles so you can open the rear for unobstructed collection.

One problem with fwd is that the weight/traction decreases on the front as the grassbox fills.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Discodog wrote: »
    One problem with fwd is that the weight/traction decreases on the front as the grassbox fills.
    I asked the retailer about this very issue and he said it was not an problem. He said that FWD was also better for cutting in around trees/shrubs etc because when you were pivoting the mower on the back wheels the driving wheels were off the ground. With RWD you are pivoting the driving wheels. He said that this will put pressure on the drive and belt. He also said that traction will not be a huge issue unless the lawn has medium to severe slopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hymanyman

Hi, anyone got any info or insight on Cub Cadet Self Propelled Lawn Mowers?

The local husqvarna have them on offer, 0% vat...so price is attractive.

I am looking at the Cub Cadet 53cm/21", 5.5hp Briggs, has mulch deck...CC53SPB i think is the model number.

On a few UK sites selling them, they give some of the spec info, but not if it is fwd, which I want to avoid.
    I can't find much on the net in terms of reviews. I checked which.co.uk, but Cub Cadet wasn't one of the 80 they tested!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hi Hymanyman,

The mower looks like it is rear wheel drive, but would it be an idea to phone the husky dealer that is selling them?

All the best.

M.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

hymanyman wrote: »
    Hi, anyone got any info or insight on Cub Cadet Self Propelled Lawn Mowers?

The local husqvarna have them on offer, 0% vat...so price is attractive.

I am looking at the Cub Cadet 53cm/21", 5.5hp Briggs, has mulch deck...CC53SPB i think is the model number.

On a few UK sites selling them, they give some of the spec info, but not if it is fwd, which I want to avoid.
    I can't find much on the net in terms of reviews. I checked which.co.uk, but Cub Cadet wasn't one of the 80 they tested!

Cheers

yeah, a American machine, well made yokes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cub_Cadet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Looking at the cheap petrol one in Woodies, the G-Mach 16"... anyone got any thoughts or know about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hymanyman

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Hi Hymanyman,

The mower looks like it is rear wheel drive, but would it be an idea to phone the husky dealer that is selling them?

All the best.

M.

Hey M, yeah, I spoke with the husky rep since I posted; found out a couple of things...it is rear wheel drive alright...it has a 2 year warranty...and of course that they don't break down!

I put in an order for one while the offer was still on...will see how it goes...

Cheers

hymanyman wrote: »
    Hey M, yeah, I spoke with the husky rep since I posted; found out a couple of things...it is rear wheel drive alright...it has a 2 year warranty...and of course that they don't break down!

I put in an order for one while the offer was still on...will see how it goes...

Cheers

Sounds good hymanyman.

Best of luck with your new mower, and happy mowing!

Don't forget to have it serviced and keep the blade sharp!

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Noffles wrote: »
    Looking at the cheap petrol one in Woodies, the G-Mach 16"... anyone got any thoughts or know about them?

I don't know anything about the g-mach, but woodies Pro-Lawn mower seems decent. I haven't got it very long but so far so good

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

peadar76 wrote: »
    I don't know anything about the g-mach, but woodies Pro-Lawn mower seems decent. I haven't got it very long but so far so good
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055366993&page=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

sheelbee wrote: »

Ah balls, doesn't sound too good.

Ah well, it was all i could afford at the time, hopefully I'll get a few years out of it

peadar76 wrote: »
    Ah balls, doesn't sound too good.

Ah well, it was all i could afford at the time, hopefully I'll get a few years out of it
    For anyone considering buying a Commercial Zero turn machine, a friend of mine bought a Ferris 24hp with a Yanmar diesel engine last year (paid big bucks for it) and he has been dogged with problems from day one, in the end he gave it back to the dealer and eventually got his money back. The lesson he learned is "If they say its a commercial machine, do your homework".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭Glebee

Ok that's it I'm officially on the hunt for a ride on. Started first cut this morning and still only half way through after two and a half hours. I know the first cut is always heavy but I've never seen it this heavy. Using a self propelled castlegarden which usually take me about 2 hours to get all lawns cut. Where should I start looking? Just realised life's too short for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Done deal !!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

Glebee wrote: »
    Ok that's it I'm officially on the hunt for a ride on. Started first cut this morning and still only half way through after two and a half hours. I know the first cut is always heavy but I've never seen it this heavy. Using a self propelled castlegarden which usually take me about 2 hours to get all lawns cut. Where should I start looking? Just realised life's too short for this.

Try to go with Briggs and Stratton or Honda engines. Castelgarden IMO is the best brand for the money. They make the Honda ride ons for Honda and belong to the same stable as Stiga, Alpina, Mountfield and alot more too.

In general (there are a few exceptions) the Mountfield and Alpina have Chinese engines which will be called either GGP/Mountfield engines - or no engine make mentioned at all.

Honda engines mainly are twin cylinder engines meaning they will be a little smoother than a single cylinder engine. Briggs and Stratton mainly stick to the single cylinder engines, however they do make twin cylinder 656cc engines. This can come in handy with hills etc but is not necessary for a normal flat lawn.

Have a look at the link below.
    http://www.esaleslocal.com/ridemowers.htm

Glebee wrote: »
    Whatever you buy, get it grom your local service dealer....Avoid Husky's.................trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Villaines

Need a decent reliable petrol mower for under 250 euro, garden about 60 sq meters. Any thoughts? I don't understand what self-propelled means!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Villaines wrote: »
    I don't understand what self-propelled means!
    Self Propelledimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrzF1Zizgzh5V5vCnA77IzshjgC8hTqZPGfsck2Mh0-yA1c3UU9A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Villaines wrote: »
    Need a decent reliable petrol mower for under 250 euro, garden about 60 sq meters. Any thoughts? I don't understand what self-propelled means!

Self propelled means that drive from the engine is used to "Drive" the rear wheels.The drive can be engaged/disengaged by releasing/pulling on another lever thats beside the flywheel brake lever/stop control lever.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

Im looking to buy a rideon lawnmower for the local soccer club to cut the pitch, whats the lowest horse power engine size would do this job

thanks

Beaver1 wrote: »
    Im looking to buy a rideon lawnmower for the local soccer club to cut the pitch, whats the lowest horse power engine size would do this job

thanks

More importantly would be the width of cut, say 50" minimum preferably a 72" probably looking at >20hp

You could be getting in to quite pricey territory especially for something that will last more than a season or two.

Diesel mower would be preferable too.

Normally pitches are done by gang mowers.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Hi Tomred,

Firstly, whatever you go for make sure it has prssurized oiling system.

Also, for your amount of ground, you don't really need such a large mower a decent 21 inch ish mmower should be plenty, the cruel irony is that if you have grass and want it to look good then you will just have to spend some time with it.

Have you considered Honda pro mower? Hrh 536hx variable speed decent collecting bag etc. mulch plug available if you want.

Etesia pro machine, not many dealers around but goole for info on etesia, they are also specifically for slopes and such also have chunky rear wheels pricey but supposed to be good.

Can't really help anymore than that, I spend a lot of my time cutting grass for customers and use a Honda pro.

M.

Went with the Toro 30 inch self propelled in the end. Neighbour who cuts lawns and has about 5 mowers got a demo one of these few weeks ago and thought it was the best thing he ever got. He looked at my lawn and said it would handle the slopes no problem so that made my mind up. Wanted to get the honda but the 30 inch deck makes this so much quicker.
    Took it out last night to see how it cuts and ended up doing half my lawn in 20 mins which included waking 150 m to and from a trailer 4 times. It took a ride on over an hour to do the whole lot a week ago.

Thanks to all for the advice on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Been looking at a new mower, willing to spend a few quid if it means it'll last me a long time.

Local garden dealer is offering a Gardencare LM53SPA for £490stg.

Theres another dealer offering a Honda HRX 537 HYE for €1000 or a second hand one for €650.....

Any thoughts people?

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Been looking at a new mower, willing to spend a few quid if it means it'll last me a long time.

Local garden dealer is offering a Gardencare LM53SPA for £490stg.

Theres another dealer offering a Honda HRX 537 HYE for €1000 or a second hand one for €650.....

Any thoughts people?

I'd say you would be able to get that for £450.00 or so...

If you have the money the Honda HRX537 would be the one to go for. Either that or the Kaaz/Asuka for similar money. They have the Honda GX industrial engine.

Took a look at the 2nd hand Honda, its in great nick, 2006 model, i wonder is it worth taking a gamble on?
    I'd say you would be able to get that for £450.00 or so...

If you have the money the Honda HRX537 would be the one to go for. Either that or the Kaaz/Asuka for similar money. They have the Honda GX industrial engine.

Took a look at the 2nd hand Honda, its in great nick, 2006 model, i wonder is it worth taking a gamble on?

Its your call. I suppose for an extra 350 you have a brand new machine with brand new warranty - plus you will have peace of mind in the fact that you know how the machine has been treated i.e. the work it has done etc. With a second hand mower it can be hard to gauge the work it has done.

Either that or the Kaaz/Asuka for similar money. They have the Honda GX industrial engine.

What are the Kaaz mowers like? Never heard of them before.....

• Advertisement

What are the Kaaz mowers like? Never heard of them before.....

They're excellent. Professional quality lawnmowers and the GX Honda engine is a better engine than the GC Honda engine. The only downside about them is the weight, they are quite heavy.

Advertisement