Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rebelontour

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with the Masport RRSP-H self propelled rear roller?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

I've advised before on here to check out Irish Grass Machinery and they do have a buyers guide for lawnmowers (not ride ons, just walk behind or push ones)....

http://www.irishgrassmachinery.ie/blog/?page_id=2289

I'm hoping to invest in a Honda with a mulching/bagging option, my garden isnt big enough for a ride one but it is big enough to have to worry about constantly emptying the bag, so a good mulcher would be useful!

Edit: This was in reply to rebelontour 's query!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

try m50 hoda in ballmount

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

tubos wrote: »
    I've advised before on here to check out Irish Grass Machinery and they do have a buyers guide for lawnmowers (not ride ons, just walk behind or push ones)....

http://www.irishgrassmachinery.ie/blog/?page_id=2289

I'm hoping to invest in a Honda with a mulching/bagging option, my garden isnt big enough for a ride one but it is big enough to have to worry about constantly emptying the bag, so a good mulcher would be useful!

Either get a pro honda with mulching kit or honda do the versa mow system which allows you to alter the ratio of bagging and mulching.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Either get a pro honda with mulching kit or honda do the versa mow system which allows you to alter the ratio of bagging and mulching.

Yeah I was looking at the video there on the buyers guide, the versa mow looks like a nice system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Before yo go running to Irish Grass Machinery, check out their after sales, it is pure misery.

I never recommended them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

I have a simplicity Baron 20 and where the hourclock is its flashing a word "lube", any ideas what this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

Beaver1 wrote: »
    I have a simplicity Baron 20 and where the hourclock is its flashing a word "lube", any ideas what this is.
    I found out, it will display this every 50 hours for 2 hours as a reminder to lube the machine

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sers

Hi,

I recently bought a second hand Partner p13592rb ride on mower. It is in perfect working order but for only one problem... it won't collect the grass. I know thta it is supposed to collect the grass because it has the collection basket. I have connected everything correctly,collection chute, basket ect... but it still will not collect the grass. I think this machine is very close to the Husqvarna range, if anyone has any experience with these?

Any help/advice would be greatly apprecieated.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Sers wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently bought a second hand Partner p13592rb ride on mower. It is in perfect working order but for only one problem... it won't collect the grass. I know thta it is supposed to collect the grass because it has the collection basket. I have connected everything correctly,collection chute, basket ect... but it still will not collect the grass. I think this machine is very close to the Husqvarna range, if anyone has any experience with these?

Cheers

I'm sure you have done everything correctly, but just double check that the mulch plug isn't still in place if it has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Sers wrote: »
    Hi,

Cheers
    What type of blades are fitted? could be fitted with mulching blades.

There is no mulch plug attachment. The chute from the decking to the basket is clear.

Brianmeath wrote: »
    What type of blades are fitted? could be fitted with mulching blades.

The blades are laid out like a cross with the tips bent upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

You need to get a set of high lift blades. Husqvarna use the same cross blades and there no good at collecting as you wont get enough blow back to the box. Also make sure your basket it clean to allow air pass trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MarkIM

Hi. I'm looking for new lawnmower I found these two:

G-Mach 196CC Self Propelled Petrol Lawnmower
    Engine Power: 196cc
    Cutting Width: 46cm (18")
    Cutting Heights: 18-70mm
    Grassbag Capacity: 53 Litre
    Metal Deck

and

Pro-Lawn 40cm (16") Hand Propelled Petrol Lawnmower

Hand Propelled Petrol Lawnmower.
    148cc Briggs & Stratton Engine.
    40cm Metal Cutting Deck.
    Individual Height Adjuster.
    40 Litre Grassbox

Any advice would be really appreciated as I have no experience with petrol lawnmowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

MarkIM wrote: »
    Hi. I'm looking for new lawnmower I found these two:

G-Mach 196CC Self Propelled Petrol Lawnmower
    Engine Power: 196cc
    Cutting Width: 46cm (18")
    Cutting Heights: 18-70mm
    Grassbag Capacity: 53 Litre
    Metal Deck

and

Pro-Lawn 40cm (16") Hand Propelled Petrol Lawnmower

Hand Propelled Petrol Lawnmower.
    148cc Briggs & Stratton Engine.
    40cm Metal Cutting Deck.
    Individual Height Adjuster.
    40 Litre Grassbox

Any advice would be really appreciated as I have no experience with petrol lawnmowers.

Do you need self-propelled? Is the lawn hilly? What size is it?

superhooper it's aprox. 200m2(75m2 at the back and 125 at the front) flat. I never used self-propelled. Don't think I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

Looking at upgrading my Castlegarden xj140xd to a Husqvarna cth 194. I have close to an acre and taking too long on the smaller Castlegarden. Any opinions on the Husqvarna?
    Its 19hp 42" deck.

MarkIM wrote: »
    superhooper it's aprox. 200m2(75m2 at the back and 125 at the front) flat. I never used self-propelled. Don't think I need it.

Wouldn't think you need a self propelled then. Just adding weight and extra things to go wrong. My own lawn is slightly smaller and I get on fine with my small hand propelled mower.
    That prolawn also has a B&S engine which is a plus in my experience. I'm not sure about the body of this mower (especially things like the plastic wheels and the like) but in this segment of the market there isn't much between them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭Glebee

On the look out for a second hand ride on mower. Anybody any suggestions where to look?? Any good dealers??
    Thanks

Wouldn't think you need a self propelled then. Just adding weight and extra things to go wrong. My own lawn is slightly smaller and I get on fine with my small hand propelled mower.
    That prolawn also has a B&S engine which is a plus in my experience. I'm not sure about the body of this mower (especially things like the plastic wheels and the like) but in this segment of the market there isn't much between them all.

Do you think 148cc Briggs & Stratton Engine will have enough power to go through higher grass from time to time?

Engine would probably handle it but all would depend on how good the collector/shoot is or height/ moisture of grass. High grass is best avoided anyway for the sake of the lawn. Moisture is the biggest enemy in this country though.

I'd probably spend a few more bob on it if you were planning on long periods between a mow.Maybe talk to a dealer rather than a woodies type place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

You can get stuff to put on a lawn that regulates it's growth, and I don't mean round up ! You can get stuff that will leave it green but will slow growth down. Hacking down long grass every now and then really isn't great for grass or mower, or you, it's far easier to to just to it every week or two and keep it down, first half of summer maybe every week, later on every 2 weeks. I'd spray off the edges with roundup, say along walls etc, save you strimming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

Try out self moving ones, I used my Dad's before and it was stupidly slow, it was cheap aldi one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭buzzing147

Hi all. I am selling a castlegarden 16hp briggs stratton twin cut plus ride on mower, the deck is all rusted so needs new deck. It also needs a starter switch.

I was just wondering what kind of price could i place on it?

Thanks.

buzzing147 wrote: »
    Hi all. I am selling a castlegarden 16hp briggs stratton twin cut plus ride on mower, the deck is all rusted so needs new deck. It also needs a starter switch.

I was just wondering what kind of price could i place on it?

Thanks.

Have a look around some websites that are selling similar models. Seen one myself today for €750 on a website

Some one might correct me on this but does a new deck cost €250 approx. Not much for the starter switch. take that into consideration when comparing it to other second hand models.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭buzzing147

Have a look around some websites that are selling similar models. Seen one myself today for €750 on a website

Some one might correct me on this but does a new deck cost €250 approx. Not much for the starter switch. take that into consideration when comparing it to other second hand models.

Thanks for reply. Yea ive looked around, cant find any that need a new deck for sale, so wasnt sure what kind of price to ask for it. I wonder would 400euro be asking too much?

buzzing147 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply. Yea ive looked around, cant find any that need a new deck for sale, so wasnt sure what kind of price to ask for it. I wonder would 400euro be asking too much?

No I don't think €400 is too much. Any that bought it would have to spend €300 on it so it would be in and around what the going rate seems to be for similar second hand models.

So I think it depends on how many hours the engine has done. If its low (you were using it for just your own lawn) then you should get some interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Anyone know what lawnmower I should get I want a big wide cut push mower, self drive, aluminium base, mulch not collect, must have reliable height adjusters, I don't mind the cost providing it lasts many years :)

Advertisement