Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

viking 53cm mulcher or etesia 53cm mulcher or honda, they all do dedicated mulshers, look at their websites, prices in Ireland will range from €750 - €2500 roughly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are the pro-lawn mowers in woodies any good?

Personally, I would steer clear of something like that, especially when you could get something like this it is a good brand (stihl/viking) and you will be getting better quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bigblackmug

The woodies lawnmower has a much better B&S engine even if the picture is rotated 180 degrees than the one on the viking and is self-propelled.
    neither of them are high-end lawnmowers.

The woodies lawnmower has a much better B&S engine even if the picture is rotated 180 degrees than the one on the viking and is self-propelled.
    neither of them are high-end lawnmowers.

Saying better b&s engine is like saying your preferred method of execution lol

The viking might not be self propelled but for the size of garden it is meant for you don't really need it.

I know they aren't high end, the op was asking if the woodies one was a good deal.

I use honda pro mowers four wheel and roller at €1600 a pop so, no, for me I wouldn't bother.

• Advertisement

a B&S quantum engine has significantly higher torque than a B&S sprint/classic engine which means the engine won't die away when cutting long heavy grass. The carburettion system is better and it is much easier to start.

You didn't get my point about the Briggs engines but never mind.

I would prefer a good well built machine with a lesser engine anyway of the week. And tbh you should be putting any of these mowers through too much strain anyway. It's just foolish to compare them to anything else. I would still go for a proper make of machine at least you'll be able to get parts for it if it breaks whereas with the woodies one good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Hi All,

I need to get a more powerful, bigger mower on a small budget. My lawn is approx 1,200 sqm, on a bit of a slope.
    I currently have a McCulloch SD46, 18" deck. It is very under-powered, especially if the grass is damp or a bit heavy.
    The grass grows very quickly, especially over the percolation area, so sometimes gets a bit heavy in places before I get to it.

This caught my eye; it had an offer of €300 accepted but deal did not complete.
    Would this be overkill for a private garden? Anyone know anything about these machines?
    Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    You didn't get my point about the Briggs engines but never mind.

I would prefer a good well built machine with a lesser engine anyway of the week. And tbh you should be putting any of these mowers through too much strain anyway. It's just foolish to compare them to anything else. I would still go for a proper make of machine at least you'll be able to get parts for it if it breaks whereas with the woodies one good luck with that.
    The quantum engine is a a great durable side valve engine. The sprint/classic engine is basically the same engine sold 50 years ago except the carburettion is inferior to the old B&S engines from the sixties and seventies and the blocks are softer.
    It may not have pressurized lubrication or OHV but it is still a great engine.
    That viking is a steel decked lawnmower it is in no way superior to the woodies lawnmower except for parts availability but I know that Origo will charge an arm and a leg for any parts for that viking lawnmower down the line.

Even the seller doesn't know the make or year, I wouldn't bother.

• Advertisement

The quantum engine is a a great durable side valve engine. The sprint/classic engine is basically the same engine sold 50 years ago except the carburettion is inferior to the old B&S engines from the sixties and seventies and the blocks are softer.
    It may not have pressurized lubrication or OHV but it is still a great engine.
    That viking is a steel decked lawnmower it is in no way superior to the woodies lawnmower except for parts availability but I know that Origo will charge an arm and a leg for any parts for that viking lawnmower down the line.

You get what you pay for, and I would buy the viking mower. I would not buy from a supermarket.

You get what you pay for, and I would buy the viking mower. I would not buy from a supermarket.
    you get what you pay for? you are pushing(literally and figuratively) a lawnmower with an inferior engine and ferociously expensive parts from the local Irish distributor.

Ferociously expensive? You get what you pay for and I am willing to pay, on no less than 8 stihl items and will continue to do so. If you can't afford to then fine. But the op was asking for opinions and mine would be run away from the woodies mower. You seem to have agenda more against origo than anything. The list price is the list price.

Ferociously expensive? You get what you pay for and I am willing to pay, on no less than 8 stihl items and will continue to do so. If you can't afford to then fine. But the op was asking for opinions and mine would be run away from the woodies mower. You seem to have agenda more against origo than anything. The list price is the list price.
    your prejudices prevent you from giving balanced advice. I don't have an agenda against Origo, it was the same with Delta before them.

Words like like ferociously expensive do hint towards animosity. I am giving an opinion, to which I am entitled. You were the one finding fault with my choice and then referring to the cost of ownership.

My memory of Viking product was that they weren't all that great; premium prices, but not premium quality. With our Customers the product started looking very tired only a year or two after purchase. I just don't rate them.

When you say your customers, do you mean you were a dealer?

Haha, so that's the problem, you probably lost the right to sell them.

I know many many professional and domestic people who use viking over Honda and etesia and they rate them a lot and I for one will be replacing my honda with one when the time comes. I can't fault stihl or viking.

When you say your customers, do you mean you were a dealer?

Haha, so that's the problem, you probably lost the right to sell them.

I know many many professional and domestic people who use viking over Honda and etesia and they rate them a lot and I for one will be replacing my honda with one when the time comes. I can't fault stihl or viking.
    No, I grew up. I got a career. No money in horticultural machinery. My father retired from the business and handed back multiple franchises including Stihl.
    You've made a fool of yourself on this thread and another one over under farming and forestry. Would ya ever stop.

Oh dear I must have got to you if you're checking up in me, not sure why you say I've made a fool of myself?

I am perfectly comfortable with the advice I have given, I have spent many years buying equipment so I know what works and what makes me money.

You just look like someone with an unhealthy dose of sour grapes.

I think you have hijacked and argued on this thread long enough, the op just asked for advice.

I'll get back to helping and not replying to your comments.

Please stop "helping" the OP by recommending inferior product.
    I apologise for noticing you offering obviously wrong information about horticultural and forestry machinery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

I've been through the thread and am a bit bamboozled -- Would anyone be so good as to recommend a lawnmower for me - 1/2 acre site so guessing 1/3 Acre Lawn

Not pushed either way between self drive & push - Is self drive just another thing that can breakdown? Garden is relatively flat ...maybe a 2 foot incline over 60 meters.

Would like a widish cutting deck - 20" +
    And a Large Capacity bag
    And Mulching Option

Have considered these
    Castelgarden XP50B
    Castelgarden XC53BSW4
    World WYZ22H
    snapper espv21675

These are all pretty close to my €500 budget ( Snapper is a bit over)

Anything else I should consider?

go to a honda dealer and see what they can offer, honda engines are among the best you can get.

Snapper are pretty good, you could look at john deere, husqvarna many makes out there.

Personally I would steer clear of the Weibang mowers but that would be my personal preference, also a lot of independent dealers are pushing those at the moment.

go to a honda dealer and see what they can offer, honda engines are among the best you can get.

Snapper are pretty good, you could look at john deere, husqvarna many makes out there.

Personally I would steer clear of the Weibang mowers but that would be my personal preference, also a lot of independent dealers are pushing those at the moment.

Cheers - Struggling to see any Hondas within budget

You might be lucky and get a deal or a clean secondhand would be better than a cheaper new one.

Whereabouts are you ?

You might be lucky and get a deal or a clean secondhand would be better than a cheaper new one.

Whereabouts are you ?

Galway

Galway

Fair enough, just wondered, if you were more local I could have suggested places to go but I'm nowhere near Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

What do people think of this mower..

http://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/hyundai-hym40p-petrol-powered-push-rotary-lawnmower/

It's on sale for 149e at my local hardware place on Sat. I don't have a big yard and it is flat.

mel.b wrote: »

http://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/hyundai-hym40p-petrol-powered-push-rotary-lawnmower/

It's on sale for 149e at my local hardware place on Sat. I don't have a big yard and it is flat.
    when you start getting down to 16" inch cut and below I'd honestly prefer a good well oiled hand mower like a Husqvarna Diamant or a quality brand electric.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

mel.b wrote: »

plz tell, wheres your local hardware store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

when you start getting down to 16" inch cut and below I'd honestly prefer a good well oiled hand mower like a Husqvarna Diamant or a quality brand electric.

Sorry, that's double dutch to me - can you explain some more?
    philstar wrote: »
    plz tell, wheres your local hardware store?

Ennis

Advertisement